Alcohol

Options
What Are your thoughts on drinking alcohol.. I am I huge fan of Samuel Adams and blue moons.. But I know
Now me and those two have to break up if I wanna continue my weight loss goals.. lol :noway:
With that being said, what about shots of alcohol like tequilla or Vodka...
Do they have any caloric value? And if not, what effect do you think going out having fun drinkin shots is goin to have
on my diet??

Cheers :drinker:

LavishLife_CEO

Replies

• MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Shots do have calories--all alcohol does for it all comes from sugar. (70-90 calories for a shot of bourbon). That being said, shots are better than mixed drinks or beer for there are fewer carbs which can be converted into fat. Alcohol itself cannot be converted into fat, but your body will use it up for energy first. As such, drinking often can stall your weight loss goals.

Those are my understandings of how it works, anyway. If I'm off base, someone correct me.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Hard liquor usually has 70(ish) calories a shot - not 100% sure since I am a beer girl usually. I don't drink as often as I used to, but I still drink and have still lost 42lbs in 3 months. With liquor it's usually the mixers that are bad, shots or no cal mixes and having a few drinks every now and then shouldn't hurt you (hasn't hurt me - I drank a 12 beers and a few shots in one night last week and still lost 3.5lbs)
  • amhyb8
    amhyb8 Posts: 6
    Options
    Flavored Vodka + Water+ a fresh lime or lemon slice= 60cals for a single, 120 for a double well!
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    You have to limit and you have to log it - count those calories and as long as they can fit in once in a while (for me on weekends) - you'll do just fine.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    If I chose to drink I chart my calories on here and try to stay below my calorie limit even with the drinks. Stick w/ light beer, diet soda in mixers. Etc. Vodka is in the calorie bank. Try it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Shots do have calories--all alcohol does for it all comes from sugar. (70-90 calories for a shot of bourbon). That being said, shots are better than mixed drinks or beer for there are fewer carbs which can be converted into fat. Alcohol itself cannot be converted into fat, but your body will use it up for energy first. As such, drinking often can stall your weight loss goals.

Those are my understandings of how it works, anyway. If I'm off base, someone correct me.

Those are pretty much the same things I have heard except it's 70 calories for an ounce of distilled liquor. Most distilled liquor shots (1.5 ounces) will be about 105 calories and no carbs. When mixed with something zero calorie (club soda, diet cola, etc.) you won't do too much damage to your calorie goals but you will slow down your weight loss a bit; more significantly if you don't drink in moderation.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What about the low cal beers? MGD 64 and Bud Select 55. The only reason they have that calorie amount is because they drop the alcohol levels. They are very light but not to bad in taste.
  • tproctor
    tproctor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    'Tis better to drink than to murder!!! ;)
  • brickok
    brickok Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Alcohol does have calories
    What I do is use my extra exercise calories for my drinking
    I figured if I'm going to drink I have to earn it
    I also switced from Kessler's whiskey to a Mount Royal Light which helped out alot
  • dwardkaiser
    Options
    I heard that Alcohol will effect your metabolisim which in turn will hault your weight loss progress.
    Does any one know anything about that?

:drinker:
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Don't get rid of it all!! Just do it as a treat sometime. I prefer vodka, so I normalyl pair that with some low cal/sugar.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Have a beer, friend! Here's an article by a guy at UC Davis who knows his shiz about beer:

http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=7525
  • LavishLife_CEO
    Options
    Have a beer, friend! Here's an article by a guy at UC Davis who knows his shiz about beer:

http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=7525

Niiicee.... I'll have a beer then, a light one...

Im all about enjoying life
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I drink vodka and diet tonic. only 60 calories per drink!!!!! no carbs. if you really like beer, don't cut it out altogether. i drink beer sometimes. just fit it into your daily calories. it does slow down your matabolism so just drink beer once a week and if you go out another day or feel like a drink, just have vodka and diet tonic!!!!!
  • LavishLife_CEO
    Options
    What about the low cal beers? MGD 64 and Bud Select 55. The only reason they have that calorie amount is because they drop the alcohol levels. They are very light but not to bad in taste.

Hmm well Im gonna have to try some of these light beers... I hope they measure up lol
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    'Tis better to drink than to murder!!! ;)
    I love it!!!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I actually like the Bud Select 55 and I'm a bit of a beer snob. :laugh: I can't drink the MGD 64, it's far too light for me. I do like the fact that I can have a few 55s, look like I'm "partying it up" and not have to worry about whether or not I'm too impaired to drive.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options

Hmm well Im gonna have to try some of these light beers... I hope they measure up lol

they don't. GROSS!!!! i like most beers, not these though. coors lite is not bad in calories (95) and tastes way better than the mgd64. i also love shlitz! yummmmmmm
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

Not at all, they are my desperate measure! :0)
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i drink tequila shots when i go to the bar; they are (and most alcohol shots) 70 calories then i get a lemon wedge with it. The trick is to not eat while drinking because after 1-2 drinks your metabolism goes down 25%, after 2-4 drinks, its below 50% and by drink 6, you have no metabolism at all!!

Its really hard to drink alcohol while dieting; st. pattys day i drank 10drinks and it didnt make me gain but it put me in a plateau for over 2 weeks after... and i followed ALL the rules--drink 1cup water for every drink (plus your daily recommended amount of half your body weight in ounces a day), plus not using diet coke cuz it bloats you and adds more dehydration to your system, drinking light beers instead of full calories, and drinking 2shots 100% juice cranberry to 1 shot whiskey so im having a healthy juice and only small amounts at a time to limit calorie intake from juice, and didnt eat while drinking, and didnt have any sugar based alcohols such as jager, peach schnapps, triple sec, etc, and didnt go over my calorie allotment and logged every sip i took, and i still went into a plateau.

the only thing ive learned is ive went out for drinks and had 1-3drinks, but no more than that because i dont need a self induced plateau in my life, and when im done losing weight and at my goal, i then, at that time, can follow all these rules to make sure i dont gain, but who cares if i hit a plateau at that time because i dont have anymore to loose. Im just taking a 1year break from my lifestyle to loose this weight, and can drink at the end!! (as long as i keep myself in check when i do).. i havent given up alcohol, but just taking 1 year break from getting **** faced and focusing on myself and feeling good after 1 to 3 drinks and skipping drink 4, 5, 8, 10, or 12...