Getting family and friends on board!

Options
hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get family and in particular my partner on board my weight loss.
They are all quite discouraging when it comes to me being healthy and eating well saying it's silly because "I don't need to lose weight".
My parents even make jokes like i have an eating disorder or a problem or something when I simply want to watch what I eat.
They may not think I need to lose weight but like anyone, we all can see when we have put on a bit ourselves more than others can notice!
Any help would be appreciated thanks

Replies

• DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    stop talking to them about your weight loss
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Adapt the don't tell policy. Don't talk about what you want to do, just do it. Don't try to "convert" other people. It is your life, your decision and they don't have to follow you, like it or even accept it. Harsh but the truth. If they talk about, just change the subject. Be healthy and be happy; be committed and determined. Good luck.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yep - I stopped saying anything.

Sometimes hard with husband wanting me to eat stuff - his thing is "eat whatever you like just exercise more!" hmm - yeah. ok. I'd be having to exercise all day long if I were to be eating like crazy.

Now, a year later i've had people at work approach me saying "ooooh youre done such a great job losing weight what did you do?" etc. As soon as you say "count calories" their eyes glaze over.
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Adapt the don't tell policy. Don't talk about what you want to do, just do it. Don't try to "convert" other people. It is your life, your decision and they don't have to follow you, like it or even accept it. Harsh but the truth. If they talk about, just change the subject. Be healthy and be happy; be committed and determined. Good luck.

Thanks for the comment. However I am not trying to preach or talk about weight loss or anything like that. They still mock me though like when I get offered somethig to eat and I say no thanks they are like "why are you trying to lose weight or something hahah".
    Just annoying that's all when all I want to do is be healthy
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If they are the kind of people who mock others, you cannot stop them.
    It is possible that they will get used to your new way of eating and be less obnoxious about what you are doing. :)
    Try to ignore them by focusing on your own goals.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight?
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I am 5'6" and 138lbs. My goal is 128lbs
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Thanks for the comment. However I am not trying to preach or talk about weight loss or anything like that. They still mock me though like when I get offered somethig to eat and I say no thanks they are like "why are you trying to lose weight or something hahah".
    Just annoying that's all when all I want to do is be healthy

Are you literally just saying "no thanks" or are you going into greater explanation? It's unusual for most people to never have been told "no thanks" and then jump to questioning about weight loss. Not impossible, just unusual, so it makes me wonder if there's more to the story.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My strategy was just to work my plan. This included accepting small portions of food offered in situations where it would be socially awkward to decline, and in other situations say "no thanks - I just ate/I'm not really hungry. Looks great, though!" Whatever reason you want to move from the middle of a healthy weight to the lower end is your reason. For folks who are genuinely concerned, and whose relationship you value, you might explore what the concern is about, and express appreciation that they care about you.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If they are the kind of people who mock others, you cannot stop them.
    It is possible that they will get used to your new way of eating and be less obnoxious about what you are doing. :)
    Try to ignore them by focusing on your own goals.

This. Sometimes ignoring them is all you can really do. I had to even explain to my fiancé that losing an additional 8lbs would get me ready to begin bulking after he was against the idea, even after supporting me through this entire journey. His concerns were rooted in my eating disorder history, so I understood his concern.

There possibly is a concern these people have that you're not seeing, and all you can do is ask why they feel that way. However, as long as you're being healthy, that's all that matters. They will get bored if you shrug and change the subject every time it is brought up.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    As soon as you say "count calories" their eyes glaze over.

This ALL DAY LONG

• WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    "no thanks - I just ate/I'm not really hungry. Looks great, though!" --this formula, endlessly repeated, really works. I saw a cousin once use the flip side of it on a particularly controlling grandmother, who followed everyone around worrying about whether they were over-eating. She'd say, "Are you going to have seconds?" in an annoying, faintly alarmed tone, and he'd answer, "I don't know. Am I still hungry? Why don't you let me know if I'm still hungry, and then I'll decide what to do."

There's no way 128 is unreasonably low for someone 5'6". Not that it's any of their business. If they really press you and you feel you must discuss your goals with them at all, however bad an idea that is, you might try implying that all you're really doing is being sure you maintain your current weight instead of creeping up. What are they going to do, start arguing that you're sure to lose weight if you don't change your ways?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Put yourself first. Dont worry about what others think or say. They will either catch on or not. Key is to stick to your plan and stay with it. If they ask for help then explain how you make it work for you.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Repeat to yourself, "It is my body and it's my business what I eat or don't eat". Then believe it. If necessary, say it to them. Proceed.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

I am 5'6" and 138lbs. My goal is 128lbs

Do they understand that you do not have some extreme weight loss goal? Could it be they fear you are trying e.g. to lose 30 lbs?