Low carb versus Low fat

Options
Hello everyone I wanted to get some opinions in what do ya'll think would be a good approach to get out my plateau and get back on a great consist weigh loss. I still have a long way to go for my goals I wanted to see who tried what? And did you see great results?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    Neither will be any better in terms of weight loss. Calories are king no matter how you slant your diet.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Well, low carb or low fat won't get you out of a plateau. Low carb may appear to, as going low carb can make you lose some water weight initially. A calorie deficit is what works. How long have you been at a plateau?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Have you got a digital food scale and do you weigh, log and check the accuracy of the MFP entry you are choosing. A lot of plateau's seem to occur at a point when the near enough approach to logging is no longer keeping you in a calorie defict
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat very low carb but I do it for health reasons rather than fast weight loss.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb because it keeps me feeling fuller, so I am a lot less likely to overeat. It also seems to reduce my cravings for sweets (which was always a big issue for me). How long have you been at a plateau? Have you been consistantly and accurately logging during that time?
  • jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Is it bad if you eat no carbs for a week
  • jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I know carbs are in most things, I was just curious if you really lose weight lowering your carbs. Some people have said try 0-20 a day. I was just curious thanks anyone
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I know carbs are in most things, I was just curious if you really lose weight lowering your carbs. Some people have said try 0-20 a day. I was just curious thanks anyone

Eating less carbs may give you an initial water loss but ultimately won't benefit weight loss over and above what you achieve by eating a reduced calorie goal.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb is easier because you get to increase fat and oils.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Neither will be any better in terms of weight loss. Calories are king no matter how you slant your diet.

yup ^^^ this

although studies have shown a front-ended water weight loss in low carb, it evens out by week 12 showing no difference in overall loss
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I ate a balanced diet while losing... neither low carb nor low fat, and lost consistently.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no reason to go low fat. Low carb has its supporters, and for some people it suits their metabolism. But there's no need to do a drastic less than 20 approach.
  • AliMalek21
    AliMalek21 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Carbs are used for energy when you hit the gym! If u don't hit the gym and ur in taking a large amount of carbs you will get FAT! In other hand, fat can be excellent if they are good fat! Fat can also be used as a source of energy when working out. Low carb medium fat and high protein will make u loss fast weight..
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    AliMalek21 wrote: »
    Carbs are used for energy when you hit the gym! If u don't hit the gym and ur in taking a large amount of carbs you will get FAT! In other hand, fat can be excellent if they are good fat! Fat can also be used as a source of energy when working out. Low carb medium fat and high protein will make u loss fast weight..

Carbs are used for lots of things including fueling your brain. You won't get fat unless you are eating above maintenance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    AliMalek21 wrote: »

Sorry but that's just misinformation.

OP - suggest you adjust your calorie balance by eating less or moving more if you are in an extended plateau (more than 4 weeks).
    Alternatively have a really close look at your food logging accuracy to see if your logging has got a little sloppy. If you open your food diary people may be able to make suggestions.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Gustaaf85 wrote: »
    The greater the deficit the more you will lose, altough it's not recommended to eat below your BMR (for medical reasons)

Non-science and non-medicine based opinion there.
  • yarwell
    Options

The Atkins diet Phase 1 is 20 grams a day of (net if you're American) carbs for 2 weeks or longer.
  • yarwell
    Options
    "When compared with dietary interventions of similar intensity, evidence from RCTs does not support low-fat diets over other dietary interventions for long-term weight loss."

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(15)00367-8/abstract
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    The greater the deficit the more you will lose, altough it's not recommended to eat below your BMR (for medical reasons)

Non-science and non-medicine based opinion there.

Eating below your BMR for a long time (over 4 months) can cause serious damage to your organs like, kidney, brains and heart.

Could you please provide support for this statement

I can easily eat below my BMR and acheive my nutritional guidelines, should I so choose. Fortunately I don't have to. But I have yet to see a study that specifies this.

My BMR is around 1480 btw

Now if I ate a VLCD and didn't hit my nutritional guidelines, I would take your point
  • shamiraj
    shamiraj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I been in a plateau for about two weeks. I even changed up my workout routine. I use my mvp to log everything. I lost 50 lbs and want to lose 50 more. So at first I was watching calories the calories that mvp set for me but now even me cutting more calories to go with my weight loss it seems to have slowed to no weight loss per week. Maybe I'm starting to gain muscle? I strength train 4 days a week, hit the gym twice on Mondays and 3 more times doing the week not to mention my daily lunge, squats, and a few more I do at home in the morning time.