Burned Out - New Routine?

Options
I'm pretty burned out. I was going to the gym 2x a week pretty regularly. Occasionally some stuff at home. I don't feel like it did anything other than kind of keep the weight off. I haven't seen any results to be excited about in almost a year.

It was mostly 3-5 sets of 5, compound exercises, all that. Everything I was supposed to be doing.

Do I need to try cardio? I know it's basically demonized for weight loss but... man. I don't want to go to the gym today and bang out another 3x5 on the bench press at the same weight it's been for months.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Why not do a new lifting plan with slightly different exercises (incline instead of flat bench or overhead press if you're not doing that or dumbbells instead of barbell) or a different rep scheme? Cardio is fine too but I wouldn't totally drop lifting. Find something you enjoy. Sometimes that means an entirely new activity and sometimes it's just changing your program slightly. I'm not sure if you've looked at other lifting programs but there are a few options here (some are 5 rep but several aren't):

* All Pro's - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1267226191#post1267226191
    * Lyle McDonald's barbell and machine routines - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
    * A Workout Routine (beginner) - http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    * Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • tiffanyfoundit
    tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I try to change my stuff up pretty regularly because I get bored so easy.

Peraonally, I love cardio.
    I've been doing HIIT Treadmill workouts that I found online.
    And then also, I've just started finding at home YouTube work outs.
    And then I can mix it up and do whatever I want so I always have something new to do.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When did cardio start becoming demonized **for weight loss**? I hate it because it's AWFUL. But it's not like it stops people from losing weight or something
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any results to be excited about in almost a year.

What kind of results are you looking for?
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    First, thanks to everyone.

Second, to @DavPul - I keep seeing cardio listed in "XX Mistakes You're Making" listicles on Livestrong and also pretty much every damn place. Don't do cardio, do HIIT. Don't do cardio, do strength training. Don't do cardio, your joints will explode and you'll be hungry all the time. I can't imagine the exercise bike is going to kill me... Not right away, at least.

Thirdly, @Cherimoose - I'm looking for... I don't know. Tangible results. I would like to not look like Peter flexing in the mirror from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. My 1RM on the bench is 227, which is not great. But it's probably just slightly above average? So I guess those are the results I want: to be just slightly above average. I'm not gunning for a six pack, but *something* tangible would be nice.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yup, sounds like you need a new program. Your muscles have gotten used to what you're doing and you aren't doing enough volume to force past where you're at it sounds like.

2x a week isn't an awful lot to be going to the gym, you'd probably see more results going 3x, but 2x is better than none and you should still be able to progress.

I don't get the current anti-cardio trend either. I hate indoor cardio, but cardio overall is an important part of a well rounded health plan IMO.

Maybe its because of the people who lift, do a ton of cardio, don't eat enough and wonder why they're tired/not getting strong all the time? Cardio done right depending on your goals is gonna be a good thing.
  • LBL1986
    LBL1986 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've read that you should switch up your exercise plan every 6-8 weeks or so. Like constantly keep your body guessing so it has to work harder!

I think cardio gets a bad rep because some people really hammer it into the ground by just running like a gerbil on the treadmill for an hour. They end up kind of overdoing it because they aren't building any strength.

I think there is nothing wrong with you throwing in a cardio program to complement your strength training. Maybe you can try 30 minutes weights/strength training and then 30 minutes cardio? This switch up may encourage your body to work a bit harder.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    First, thanks to everyone.

Second, to @DavPul - I keep seeing cardio listed in "XX Mistakes You're Making" listicles on Livestrong and also pretty much every damn place. Don't do cardio, do HIIT. Don't do cardio, do strength training. Don't do cardio, your joints will explode and you'll be hungry all the time. I can't imagine the exercise bike is going to kill me... Not right away, at least.

Thirdly, @Cherimoose - I'm looking for... I don't know. Tangible results. I would like to not look like Peter flexing in the mirror from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. My 1RM on the bench is 227, which is not great. But it's probably just slightly above average? So I guess those are the results I want: to be just slightly above average. I'm not gunning for a six pack, but *something* tangible would be nice.

You're going to want to ignore 90% of what you read on livestrong. And most places, actually. Livestrong is notorious for posting articles both for and against the exact same thing
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you're strength training, 3x per week is really better than twice. What program are you doing? If you pick something like SL, Starting Strength or a proven program-it will help you to increase your weight.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    LBL1986 wrote: »
    I've read that you should switch up your exercise plan every 6-8 weeks or so. Like constantly keep your body guessing so it has to work harder!
    No. Muscle confusion is not a thing.
    Progressions, more weight or greater difficulty, is a thing.

• keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If you're strength training, 3x per week is really better than twice. What program are you doing? If you pick something like SL, Starting Strength or a proven program-it will help you to increase your weight.

Well, it was (is) twice a week with a very inconsistent third night of bodyweight stuff at home.

I'd say modified SL. Mostly go in and do OHP, bench, the odd deadlift and sometimes squats. Replace those with other big compound movements as equipment is available. Including the dreaded leg press. Will do pullups or assisted pullups as an alternate pulling exercise to rows.
  • LBL1986
    LBL1986 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    LBL1986 wrote: »
    No. Muscle confusion is not a thing.
    Progressions, more weight or greater difficulty, is a thing.

My overall point to OP was a suggestion to switch things up to keep from getting bored, whether that be changing workouts completely, incorporating cardio or increasing weights etc...
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    if you're doing 3 sets of 5 on the same weight for MONTHS, that's a plateau. You need to change your routine. Most likely you're out of linear progression and need some sort of periodization. look into intermediate programs like texas method, juggenaut method, 5/3/1, etc. you'll also probably need to start adding isolation exercises. The Juggernaut Method is inclusive of those, and is my favorite program for squats. good luck
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cardio for weight loss? It works extremely well for me. I alternate weightlifting days with cardio days, and often the cardio is something fun like hiking or skiing.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and do cardio but admit I'm happy with running 5K in under 30 mins. I'm not a fan of running on the dreadmill but do include it at times. Currently my goals include rebasing my strength for a few compound lifts 3 days/week but I'm also taking Krav Maga classes 3 times/week. This is working well for me right now.

Sometimes I join a Zumba or step class, other times I'll do ladder/cone drills & in the better weather I enjoy heading to the track & sprint. I also swing heavy kettle bells or lift weights circuit fashion as cardio depending on my goals. I do what I enjoy it keeps me motivated.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch to a plan that bumps up the reps for hypertrophy if visible results are your top priority? It would be a change, at least, so it might reinvigorate you.
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Well, it was (is) twice a week with a very inconsistent third night of bodyweight stuff at home.

I'd say modified SL. Mostly go in and do OHP, bench, the odd deadlift and sometimes squats. Replace those with other big compound movements as equipment is available. Including the dreaded leg press. Will do pullups or assisted pullups as an alternate pulling exercise to rows.

the reason you arent progressing is because you arent following a set programme..."the odd deadlift and sometimes squats"...in order to progress you need consistency.

I understand gyms are busy but if something is busy i will wait or ask the person at the rack how many sets they have etc and then go and do another bit of my programme in the mean time.

Also - you dont mention whether you have tried to up your weights - what happened? couldnt do 1 at the higher level or just couldnt finish the set.

i think you do need another programme but then when you get it stick to it as much as possible?

Why did you modify SL to begin with? are you working with an injury?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty burned out. I was going to the gym 2x a week pretty regularly. Occasionally some stuff at home. I don't feel like it did anything other than kind of keep the weight off. I haven't seen any results to be excited about in almost a year.

It was mostly 3-5 sets of 5, compound exercises, all that. Everything I was supposed to be doing.

Do I need to try cardio? I know it's basically demonized for weight loss but... man. I don't want to go to the gym today and bang out another 3x5 on the bench press at the same weight it's been for months.

If your goal is weight loss, you need to (1) focus on diet and (2) burn more calories, so yes, cardio. 1 hour of fat walking will not sound exciting enough for people to write blogs and articles about it, but will be far more effective than 10 minutes of HIIT or 1 hour of weight training regarding calories burned. For health reasons, resistance training is supposed to be done in combination with cardio, not instead of cardio.
    But most imporant, are you getting any fun out of your workout? If it is just a chore and something you are doing because you were told this is what you need to do, forget it. Stop completely and start again, looking for something that makes you happy, not someone else. For weight loss, health and general fitness goals, the important thing is to be physically active, and to accomplish this, you need to like what you are doing. Try walking, running, get a bike, try hiking, swimming, get into a martial arts class, try a TRX class, get a few friends and plan playing basketball on weekends etc. The most effective exercise will be the one you like doing and want to do. And once it gets boring, think again and do something else.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

You've got an unclear goal "not be average" and an inconsistent routine "some of this, some of that, whatever".

Make a specific goal.

For example: "drop 10lbs". "Increase my deadlift by 10kg". "add 5lbs of muscle". Then eat and train specifically to achieve that goal within a definite time period that's achievable. Be consistent and hit your sessions and dietary requirements regularly and you'll succeed.

The approach you're taking at the moment is not really working for you, I'm sorry to say... you're just drifting along and hoping a vague result will appear by magic.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

You've got an unclear goal "not be average" and an inconsistent routine "some of this, some of that, whatever".

Make a specific goal.

For example: "drop 10lbs". "Increase my deadlift by 10kg". "add 5lbs of muscle". Then eat and train specifically to achieve that goal within a definite time period that's achievable. Be consistent and hit your sessions and dietary requirements regularly and you'll succeed.

The approach you're taking at the moment is not really working for you, I'm sorry to say... you're just drifting along and hoping a vague result will appear by magic.

I agree with this.