Low Carb Help!

Options
Started a low carb diet today. I havent been eating dairy or soy or bread the last 2 months. So should be a pretty easy adjustment. Im currently breastfeeding so i still need to keep my calorie intake between 1600 and 1800.

Looking for some advise or tips while doing this. I have an idea of a meal plan..on a trail period right now. Please help!!!!!!!

Replies

• MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic?
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Join the Low Carber Daily Forum here in the groups section. Lots of great help there with that way of eating and lots of recipes, etc.
  • cuttingthecurves
    cuttingthecurves Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding, you should always consult with your doctor about what you're eating.

But in general, low-carb diets can easily be made higher-calorie or lower-calorie as needed; if you want to increase your calories, you just need to increase your fat intake. If you aren't eating dairy, then go for healthy oils, avocados, and fattier meats.

Again, though, I wouldn't do anything without the full backing of your doctor. Low-carb and keto diets are great, but I personally have no idea how they affect the nutrition of your baby.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low Carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Lots of great people and useful/helpful information.
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How low are you thinking? I mean I see your calorie intake is between 1600-1800 which is great, but how much of that are you going to set aside for carbs? I have a 1525 daily intake and its 140g carbs/ 140 g protein and 45 g fat. I dont eat a tonne of carbs but remember there are carbs in many things. Basically 99% of our food has some carbs attributed to it. Are you following a recommended meal plan from someone or just on your own.
  • EricaKatelynn
    EricaKatelynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    Are you diabetic?

Nope!
  • EricaKatelynn
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding, you should always consult with your doctor about what you're eating.

But in general, low-carb diets can easily be made higher-calorie or lower-calorie as needed; if you want to increase your calories, you just need to increase your fat intake. If you aren't eating dairy, then go for healthy oils, avocados, and fattier meats.

Again, though, I wouldn't do anything without the full backing of your doctor. Low-carb and keto diets are great, but I personally have no idea how they affect the nutrition of your baby.

Thank you! Im not going all the way to keto while breastfeeding because of that reason.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    From one breastfeeding mama to another- first, great job! Second, I would really be careful about cutting out carbs. What you eat affects your ability to provide nutrition to your baby. You may want to give this a quick review: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-lowcarb/

Best of luck to you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto the others. You'll find more support at the low carber daily group.

South beach diet and dukkan diets are fairly low carb and could give you more ideas. Atkins is low carb too with the first phase (induction) being very low carb - lower than any prefer to go.

It sounds like you will have an easy transition. Most low carbers do avoid low fat dairy but allow high fat items like cheese and cream, we tend to skip most baked goods but almond flours and coconut flours are low carb and can fit well into many low carb diets. Fruit tends to be higher in sugar so much is limited, especially dried fruits or tropical fruits. Berries, oranges, apples, and nectarines can fit into even the very LCHF diets.

Protein is usually moderate and fats are higher. Enjoy coconut oil, butter, olives and its oil, cheese, nuts, avocado, and atty meats lie bacon.

To be honest, low carb meals don't look unusual, we just don't have the side of rice, potato, bread, noodles, or other baked goods or starches.

Best wishes. :)
  • EricaKatelynn
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How low are you thinking? I mean I see your calorie intake is between 1600-1800 which is great, but how much of that are you going to set aside for carbs? I have a 1525 daily intake and its 140g carbs/ 140 g protein and 45 g fat. I dont eat a tonne of carbs but remember there are carbs in many things. Basically 99% of our food has some carbs attributed to it. Are you following a recommended meal plan from someone or just on your own.

Im doing 145g carb, 178g protien, and 95% Fat...and im using help from an online site and a couple of friends that have over 10 years experice in fitness and nutrition.