Why does Jillian Michaels hate knees so much???

Options
NenaM812
NenaM812 Posts: 101 Member
Years of tennis and bad genes have given me really bad tendonitis. My knees point the wrong way lol, swell, and pop constantly. I'm a huge fan of JM's 30DS, but it puts such strain on my knees that doing it 2x a week is pushing it. Last night I decided I'd try her 6 wk 6 pack vid on Exercise TV thinking that it'd be her typical strenuous workout, but just on the floor to avoid killing my knees after a run. Big mistake!!! The first five minutes were squats and twisting and kicking and jumping and all kinds of stuff that made my knees scream at me in pain. Even modified push ups and planks KILL my knees...no idea why. But anyway, does she just have like robot knees or just some kind of vendetta toward knees??? I'd really like to do her workouts because 30DS is so effective! But damn these knees!

Replies

• megrrt
    megrrt Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Today is dy 4 for me with JM 30day shred and I understand what you are talking about with the knees. I have "bad" knees so to speak nothing like you are talking about but I do think she is just intense with her workouts. I dont know if Bob Harper is the same way but I would think he is...maybe you need to find something else that is low impact that will still get your heartrate up..??
    Good luck.
    :flowerforyou:
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I find that many exercises tax my knees too much. I don't have tendinitis, but I have incurred several "impact" injuries over the years (since I was pre-teen, actually) and my knees are definitely worse for the wear. I just accept this and do only those exercises that my knees can tolerate. For example, squats and lunges are OUT.

The only other thought I have is to do resistance exercises to strengthen the knees and the musculature that supports the joint. That will give it more stability. If you have knee problems, however, consult with a qualified trainer or physical therapist to avoid further injury.
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have horrible knees too. I basically have to modify every exercise that involves knees. Want some unsolicited advice? Go get physical therapy! Insurance often covers it and it helps A LOT. You might need a referral from your doctor, but it's well worth the effort. I went to about six sessions and kept up the rehab exercises at home and I'd say my knee pain is reduced by about 90 percent. I used to hurt just walking, but now I can do most of what P90X and Power90 ask for. It's worth a try... All you have to lose is knee pain!
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    try her Ripped in 30 it's easier on the knees... I have bad knees too and found Ripped in 30 better!!! Good luck!
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sister!! I did not have bad knees before I started her 30 DS!! Now......I have to be careful!!!

good luck!!!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering this today. Glad you posted this, now I know not to try it or at least till I strengthen my knee up. I was just diagnosed with patella fibromyalgia a couple months ago so my knee dislocates and cartilage is degenerating.
  • Stephinow
    Stephinow Posts: 273
    Options
    I just quit doing Ripped in 30 because of the pain in my knees. Now, I DO NOT have bad knees. My knees have never been injured, never been sore, never had a problem. Only when I do Jillian's workouts do they hurt, and they stop hurting when I stop doing her workouts. I powered through 30DS just because I really wanted to see the results, but after week 1, level 1 of Ripped, I decided it's just not worth it.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    I have horrible knees too. I basically have to modify every exercise that involves knees. Want some unsolicited advice? Go get physical therapy! Insurance often covers it and it helps A LOT. You might need a referral from your doctor, but it's well worth the effort. I went to about six sessions and kept up the rehab exercises at home and I'd say my knee pain is reduced by about 90 percent. I used to hurt just walking, but now I can do most of what P90X and Power90 ask for. It's worth a try... All you have to lose is knee pain!

More unsolicited advice....I'll second that going to physical therapy, but go to a sports physical therapist. I have had really bad knees just like you, but 6 sessions of physical therapy taught me the right way to train and the right muscle groups to engage so that I can do the higher impact stuff (squats, lunges, sprinting, plyometrics). Also, STRETCH! I don't think Jillian caters enough to people with bad knees. Warm up a lot longer, and then do lots of quad and hamstring stretching. It is so important. Oh, and when you are done ice away. I still go to the gym and do my knee specific exercises about 2x a month, but that's only when I feel I need it.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    JM is also bad for toes(dont laugh) I have a toe which keeps dislocating (pain)and my whole left foot clicks. I have been to a podiatrist and had scans and xrays, as once it got so bad I was hobbling along like an old woman. I have done low impact equivalents and modified any 30ds exercises that involve landing with all my weight on one foot, even though it's modified I am still seeing results.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's because she doesn't practice what she preaches. She talks about proper form for squats, but doesn't do it. So, if you do what she is doing then you will hurt your knees. That's the difference between having a marketing machine behind you and actually having a degree in exercise science. You can do some you tube searches to see proper form but some of them are just as bad or worse. The safest way to do any squats or lunges is to make sure the knees (or front knee in lunges) stays over the ankle and never goes out over the toes. Also if you are doing plie or sumo squats, make sure your knees and toes are facing in the same direction. You can also strengthen your knees with 30% leg extensions. That's where you are seated and straighten the leg but only bend it back down to about 30% bent instead of going all the way to 90 degrees like most let extensions before going back up to straight. It's a tough one for weak knees so start with no weight and build up to using weight.
  • harmsllc
    harmsllc Posts: 4
    Options
    Modified Push Ups -As I read your blog post, I couldn’t help but think of the Push Up Bench as the most effective way for people who struggle with push ups , to be able to do them correctly (with full range of motion). Most modified push ups make them easier but only allow one or two variations. The Push Up Bench has 11 different levels to work through on the way to a full push up.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    OMG - I'm laughing because I have asked myself the same exact question. My knees aren't so great either, and it seems like all of her videos are really hard on them. She must dream about squats every night.

Tonya, thanks for the tips!
  • skyebird3
    skyebird3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the squats. I've done a few other videos, and my knees have never hurt so much before!! Provided you do not let the knee go past the ankle you're good. I think it's the jumping jacks and jumping rope!!! I'm going to take gillianssuggestions and not do the jumping jack and jumping rope. I'll just do the jogging in place or something else. The videos I've done before did not have jumping jacks or jumping rope, so I'm basing my opinion on that. Stay away from jumping jacks!!!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    A correct squat (of any kind) should actually be beneficial for the knees. It's possible that either A) the form is the problem and/or B) suddenly starting a program with many reps when the body isn't used to it and can't adapt fast enough.
  • prikliy4enie
    prikliy4enie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I never had problems with my knees... until I tried " burn fat boost metabolism of Jillian. My right knee is killing me and after careful review of the video, I came to a conclusion, that I injured my knee during jumping. I did exactly same workout without jumping and it didn't bother my knee. During jumps my knees were coming before toes with all the weight of my body "smashing" in that incorrect position. I learnt from it that I have to think through any ( even famous and impressive) workout, before trying it out.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I have bad knees too. I just do something else like walk around the room instead of jumping jacks and got into the lunge position but didn't go into a lunge. I also find that modified push ups hurt my knees worse because I was putting weight on my knees. So I would suggest just doing as many regular push ups as you can during the push ups part and work up to being able to do the full amount. You may not see as great of results when you have to modify but keeping yourself injury free is much more important.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    It's because she doesn't practice what she preaches. She talks about proper form for squats, but doesn't do it. So, if you do what she is doing then you will hurt your knees. That's the difference between having a marketing machine behind you and actually having a degree in exercise science. You can do some you tube searches to see proper form but some of them are just as bad or worse. The safest way to do any squats or lunges is to make sure the knees (or front knee in lunges) stays over the ankle and never goes out over the toes. Also if you are doing plie or sumo squats, make sure your knees and toes are facing in the same direction. You can also strengthen your knees with 30% leg extensions. That's where you are seated and straighten the leg but only bend it back down to about 30% bent instead of going all the way to 90 degrees like most let extensions before going back up to straight. It's a tough one for weak knees so start with no weight and build up to using weight.

This is great advice too!
  • evilangelwings
    evilangelwings Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees too (bad joints all over in fact!), but I find the 30DS fine as long as I really concentrate on my knees, i.e. knees don't go over toes. But I did kickboxing with a trainer for 4.5 years, and she got me into good habits with the knees because I had bad posture. I think physical therapy would be great too, or try to get some 1 on 1 time with a fully qualified trainer.