How often do you eat?

Options
Hello,

I have been try to eat every 2 to 3 hours through out the day. I am wondering if anyone else does this? I eat 6 small meals a day and find I do not ever get hungry eating this way.

Thanks for opinions.
Johnna

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    About 4 times a day. For me, having 3 meals and a snack with dinner being the biggest meal of the day works for me. I just couldn't imagine lugging about 4 additional meals during the work day on a 2-3 hour eating schedule.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Nope I am the opposite. I think there are many different approaches to this, and barring a medical reason for one way vs. another, it's fine to do whatever works for you!

I eat 3 meals per day, no snacks. I eat 7 am, noon, and 5 or 6 pm. I feel satisfied and full this way and never feel hungry at other times. I have noticed if I snack even occasionally around 3 pm I start to "expect" food at that time and think I'm hungry in the afternoon when I suspect I'm just a bit tired/bored...but when I don't, I never even think about snacking, and I'm ready for dinner after I go home from work.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Usually 3 meals and two snacks, but it really depends on the day for me. I try to eat throughout the day to avoid the hangries, but it won't matter for weight loss. Eat as often as you need to to feel your best.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. I can't eat in the morning. It upsets my stomach and I am generally not hungry then. Occasionally I'll have some yogurt and cheese around 10:30.
    I usually eat lunch around noon, a snack around 3:00, dinner around 5:45 and sometimes a post workout snack in the evening.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My meals aren't evenly spaced. I typically eat around 2:00 p.m. and 8:30 - 9:00 pm, stopping around 10 p.m.

The first meal is usually around noon(ish) on the weekends.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    6-7 times a day so it breaks down to roughly every 2-3 hours, which a bigger break between breakfast and my first morning snack, and between my afternoon snack and dinner

My 3 main meals are quite a bit more substantial than my snacks, especially dinner which is by far the biggest meal. I hate feeling so regimented with my meals and snack times, but I seem to do better eating frequently.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    6 times if I'm working out, 5 if not.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Count me in. Smalls meals about 6 daily.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 main meals, and 2 - 3 snacks inbetween. :)
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 3 meals and 2 snacks during the week at lunch. It helps me from being hungry between meals, breaks up the day, and gives me a boost of energy when I could potentially crash. My snacks also allow me to sat higher calorie treats without over-indulging, like cheeses.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Usually 3 times a day.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    About 4-5 times a day. Although I'm hungriest early in the day so a big breakfast or lunch would hold me over for a while, but the schedule doesn't really allow it.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    3 meals and 3 snacks...I don't particular need the snacks but I like snacking.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Every 3-5 hours from wake time to sleep time. 3 meals and 1-2 snacks.
  • getfitbrandi
    getfitbrandi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I typically eat every 2-3 hours. I eat 5-6 times a day between snacks and meals.
  • johnnakrob
    johnnakrob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies.

I do it mainly to keep my metabolism going. I can not say I really eat 6 meals it is more like three meals and three snacks. I need to improve the quality of my snacks though.

I love eating pecans and walnuts for snacks but they are kind of high in calories, carbs and fats (I made my own trail mix). So I may have to rethink the trail mix thing and take a different approach. Maybe 3 nuts and an apple or banana.
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    yeah, six times a day for me too
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    johnnakrob wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replies.

I do it mainly to keep my metabolism going. I can not say I really eat 6 meals it is more like three meals and three snacks. I need to improve the quality of my snacks though.

I love eating pecans and walnuts for snacks but they are kind of high in calories, carbs and fats (I made my own trail mix). So I may have to rethink the trail mix thing and take a different approach. Maybe 3 nuts and an apple or banana.

If you need to eat every 2-3 hrs to keep your metabolism going what happens to it at night? :o
  • johnnakrob
    johnnakrob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good question, I have always wondered about that myself. It does bring up an interesting point. Maybe I need to rethink all the snacks.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat 4-6 times a day, sometimes only 3. I don't have specific meal times but I try to have breakfast after 9 and dinner after 6, just to meet my goals easier...