1.5 pounds per week to reach my first mini-goal... is it pos

Options
My first mini goal is in about 12 weeks! I want to reach my pre-pregancy weight. I did the math, and I'll have to lose about 1.5 pounds PER WEEK to do this, no exceptions! :noway:

I know it's *possible*... for some people, but what about *real* people like me?

If you've had comparative results for such an extended amount of weeks I'd love (actually, I NEED) to hear from you! :happy:

Pics would be great too... I'll take all of the motivation I can get!

Replies

• youngpat
    youngpat Posts: 12
    Options
    I think you can do if you stick with it and do not get off track. That's a big problem of mine is getting off track. Good Luck!!!!!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    depends on what you weigh now. When I started I was severely over weight so losing 2+lbs a week happened for the first couple of weeks.

Now I'm close to my goal (only 14lbs to go!) and I've slowed down to 1lbs or less a week. I need to up my strength training to get it to continue I think because cardio and calories just isn't enough.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is dont' be discuraged if you don't lose 1.5lbs each and every week, I've realized our body's aren't always right on track like we think they should be. For instance I NEVER lose a few onces at a time, I will stay the same for a couple of weeks then drop like 5 lbs in 2 days, it's crazy. Then I'll stay the same(or even gain a pound or two) for another couple of weeks then BAM down 5 lbs. Sometimes I think it takes our bodays a while to get used to what we are doing!
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Oh it's definitely possible. Just stay vigilant and keep your eyes on the prize, you'll get there and maybe even faster than you think! I am on a "lose 2 lbs/week" plan and in 4 weeks, I've lost 21 lbs! No, I'm not starving myself or taking diet pills or anything. I'm just staying at my alloted calories and exercising. You'll do it, just wait and see!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Careful, setting too strict of a goal can sometimes backfire. Unless you have a lot of weight to lose, it's recommended that you don't shoot for more than a pound a week. I know it sounds slow, but slow and steady really does win the race. Of course even with a goal of a pound per week, you could still easily lose more some weeks (and some less, eeek), good luck!
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If you stay focused and work hard then yeah. You should be able to get pretty close anyway. Our bodies don't always cooperate with us.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for 9 weeks and I have lost 28 lbs! It's totally doable! Just takes the want to and serious self control! Good luck with your goals : )
  • pianoplt
    pianoplt Posts: 3
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Karlirosem
    Karlirosem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just set a few mini goals for myself today. I would like to loose 5 lbs a month for 3 months. That way I can loose 15 lbs by my anniversary. I started a zumba class and wow! I go only twice a week and try to get on my treadmill once a week and I have lost 1llb a week since I have started! Its a great workout. I also have been keeping in my calorie goal. :)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I decided I wanted to be at 199 lbs by July 8th. When I decided it and calculated, I had to lose 1.6 lbs per week to get to my goal. I'm not there yet, but I've got 3 lbs to go and a little over 3 weeks to do it in. I'm definitely gonna get there, so I say yes, it is possible.
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    With 60+ pounds to lose you should be able to do it. The more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off, but you will need to rethink your goals after the initial loss as it will slow down. I would recommend 1lb unless you are expecting to do a lot of exercise you calorie allocation might not be enough and you might struggle. Ever lb you lose you are looking better and feeling better, so be kind to yourself and do it slowly - Every study shows this is the only way to Keep it off. Good luck with what ever you decide x
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have done 1.5 pounds a week in the past and it is very possible, no matter if you have lots of weight to loose or just some. It just takes a lot of determination and self discipline. But, I'd start off slow first and work your way into it. That way if you don't do 1.5 pounds a week, every week, you won't feel disappointed - because I think as long as you loose, a loss is always a loss :) Good luck!! I'm sure you can do it!! :)
  • ladyluck5210
    ladyluck5210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    depends on what you weigh now. When I started I was severely over weight so losing 2+lbs a week happened for the first couple of weeks.

Now I'm close to my goal (only 14lbs to go!) and I've slowed down to 1lbs or less a week. I need to up my strength training to get it to continue I think because cardio and calories just isn't enough.

Soo true! My first week I lost 12lbs (in 5 days).. then 4lbs the next.. then 6lbs the next.. But you REALLY DO have to stick with your plan! Exercise!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible. I've lost 80 lbs in 7 months, and I think I'm a pretty "real" person.

That being said, I caution you about setting a deadline--you can only make good choices and let your body do the rest. Despite all the numbers and math that this website and the users here may throw at you, everyone is different and what may work for one will not work for another. You just have to have patience and perseverance. I cannot remember who I saw post it, but they said it best with, "Your body is a chemistry lab, not a checkbook."
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You can totally lose 1.5 pounds per week! You may have a few ups and downs, but stick with it...you'll be glad you did!!!!! I've been exercising now for almost four months and here are a few progress pics - sorry they're so big, I don't know how to make them smaller. :-( I do have a long ways to go and I'm not happy where I am, but I am happy where I'm going! “The only one who can tell you ‘you can’t’ is you. And you don’t have to listen.” I believe in YOU!!!!!

131117_1646187668221_1042774721_31784167_6399581_o-1.jpg

070.jpg

007.jpg

012-1-1.jpg

What does 25 lbs. convert to in inches lost for my body?

24.4" Total Inches Lost
    Neck: 1.2" GONE
    Waist: 5.7" GONE
    Hips: 5.0" GONE
    Arm: 2.0" GONE
    Thighs: 5.0" GONE
    Bust: 4.8" GONE (Thankfully my cup size is still the same LOL!!! --for now)
    Calves: .70" GONE
    Body Fat: 6% GONE
    BMI: Lost 3.4 to a "Healthy Weight Range" from an "Overweight Range"

Be honest with yourself about your exercise and calorie consumption. I still eat pizza, burgers, and sweet treats, but I do so in moderation...not until I'm stuffed to the gills! If I didn't allow myself to enjoy these little things I would not have stuck with it. I have eaten real food, not diet drinks, shakes, etc. which just goes to show that exercising and calorie counting really works! Make sure you choose an exercise program that is something you'll enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you won't stick with it. Don't start off with something too difficult too fast either. Work your way up to more challenging things. It's okay to change things up and introduce new exercises to keep things fresh and interesting. It's not about losing weight overnight...you didn't gain it overnight. It's about knowing WHY you want to lose weight, knowing what YOUR GOALS are and reaching DAILY goals. Before you know it, it all adds up to BIG GOALS achieved!!! I believe in YOU! YOU CAN DO THIS TOO..TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME. IT'S WELL WORTH THE WORK!!!!

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." ~Robert Collier"
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Your starting out great! 1.5 pounds is great of you stick with it! Just keep moving!!! You can add me as a friend to see my pics! Good luck!! :bigsmile: