Working out with sciatica

Options
Hi people had sciatica for 4 years had mri scan found out that one of my discs is hitting my nerve.
Lately had an steriod injection in my disc to calm the nerve down...
Has anyone gone though this and managed to lift weights... if so what did u do.. i need help

Replies

• raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have sciatica...it hurts so bad! I do weightlifting, but I only do ankle weights and it hasn't bothered my sciatica yet. However, I teach karate and the kicks are terrible!
    for a regular workout I do elliptical and jump rope, and weights for my arms and back.
    PS. I have a tens unit that helps a lot! (U might want to look into one)
    also someone suggested an inversion table might help, but I haven't tried it yet...
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No workout advice but I had sciatica for a few years and it was horrible. I finally had physical therapy using a decompression table and the relief was incredible. This was after trying many other treatments that had short term results, if any. Sciatica will not go away or heal up on its own, it has to be treated (from what I understand).

I highly recommend checking into this course of treatment. It was with a table similar to this. It took about 25 sessions but when I felt the pressure release on the last visit I was ecstatic.

lumbar3.jpg
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well hopefully the injection will kick in, if pain kicks within the 6 weeks I got to go back and they were talking about an operation :(
    Which I don't want.... I normally just train though it but when they said that I sort of calmed down a bit. ..but fingers crossed the injection will work... getting withdrawn symptoms not going..