Such a thing as too much cardio?

Options
I have been exercising for only a little over a week and i am concerned about what is too much. I have found a friend in the elliptical trainer. I have bad knees and running kills me but I got on the elliptical and suddenly i don't seem to find my limit. After only a week of adding exercise into my life I spend more and more time on it. Today I spent 1hr20min on it and honestly the only reason I stopped was because I had to get my daughter. I sweat and sweat but I don't feel the need to stop. I even have added resistance. I feel at this point that in a week I'll be on there for 2hrs at a time...is this bad?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Depends on your goals... If you like cardio and don't care if you have a marathon runner looking body, then go for it, but make sure to take adequate rest days and watch for overtraining symptoms. If your goal is to have a "toned" body, then yes, you're probably doing way too much.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Like galgenstrick said, it depends on your goals. For me personally that would be too much.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Be careful, this stuff gets addictive. I started out barely working out 10 minutes a day a year ago, NOW, I spend almost 4 hours every day working out.... Or rather, biking, elliptical, etc....
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I sort of agree with the above poster. You might want to incorporate strength for many reasons (more bang for your buck and, for me, sanity... because I couldn't do that much cardio in day). I also tend to believe in balance, harmony, and variety in all things (which, for me, includes the foods I eat, the types of exercise I get, how often I rest vs. how often I do two-a-days, etc.).

If you aren't suffering injuries and are meeting your goals, then you could probably do elliptical seven hours a day. It's a matter of what you want and what makes you feel good. I tend to think that people generally look better with some strength training.
  • giorgioc722
    giorgioc722 Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I went from doing nothing to running 3-5 miles in the morning, lifting after that, then hiking 8-13 miles, ride my bike home from my friends house after the hike, and rollerblading for another 2-3 hours.

This would happen about twice a week then other days normally run 5 miles, lift, and Rollerblade/mountain bike for 4+ hours.

I dropped from 250 to 190 in about 4 months. I didn't look how I hoped I would, but I was thinner.

I started to get so hungry it hurt, and I wasn't eating like I should until I snapped and couldn't stop over eating for a long time.

I also got tendinitis in my IT band and had to do rehab for awhile (Couldn't do what I normally would without pain).

Reason I'm telling you this is cause two things happen. The hunger and tendinitis discouraged me so much I wasn't doing very well in my own head. The other is, when I didn't have ample time to work out as much as I would like to and my weight lost stop, I blamed time loss and people taking my time for the result.

(I let it mess with my head, don't do the same)

Only recently have I got better at balancing the sports/cardio I want to do along with eating so I can lose weight again.

Long story short; None of this may apply to you, but if it might I wanted to share.

Do what you enjoy, take care of your body and know your limits. If you're gonna go this hard, rest correctly and stretch correctly.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There is such a thing as too much cardio, like if you develop pain all of a sudden. I did 16,500 steps a couple of weeks ago and that's when my knee started hurting, so I stopped. Just listen to your body, it will tell you if you're doing too much too quicky.

I walk about 5-8 miles a day and I do take two rest days a week.

I don't lift, nor will I ever due to heart issues. Walking and a light jog is ok, but lifting would strain my heart too much and cause arrythmias.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I went from doing nothing to running 3-5 miles in the morning, lifting after that, then hiking 8-13 miles, ride my bike home from my friends house after the hike, and rollerblading for another 2-3 hours.

Not really a good idea to lift after cardio. I would switch them if you're ever going to do them back to back.
  • giorgioc722
    Options

Not really a good idea to lift after cardio. I would switch them if you're ever going to do them back to back.

It was flipped, lifting first. My mistake, but regardless I was doing it wrong for my own body at the time.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finding a form of exercise you love! This is critical to staying active, which has so many benefits other than weight loss. I would limit yourself, though, so you don't burn out on your love of the elliptical too soon. Maybe 90 minutes each elliptical session. And alternate the cardio with strength training days. Strength training is important to losing fat and retaining lean muscle mass.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

This would happen about twice a week then other days normally run 5 miles, lift, and Rollerblade/mountain bike for 4+ hours.

I dropped from 250 to 190 in about 4 months. I didn't look how I hoped I would, but I was thinner.

I started to get so hungry it hurt, and I wasn't eating like I should until I snapped and couldn't stop over eating for a long time.

I also got tendinitis in my IT band and had to do rehab for awhile (Couldn't do what I normally would without pain).

Reason I'm telling you this is cause two things happen. The hunger and tendinitis discouraged me so much I wasn't doing very well in my own head. The other is, when I didn't have ample time to work out as much as I would like to and my weight lost stop, I blamed time loss and people taking my time for the result.

Only recently have I got better at balancing the sports/cardio I want to do along with eating so I can lose weight again.

Long story short; None of this may apply to you, but if it might I wanted to share.

Do what you enjoy, take care of your body and know your limits. If you're gonna go this hard, rest correctly and stretch correctly.

Jesus Christ. Did you work? Like a job? Did you sleep?
  • giorgioc722
    Options

Jesus Christ. Did you work? Like a job? Did you sleep?

Wasn't in school and part time job from 10am-3pm, and two to three days off a week. This was like two years ago tho lol.
  • __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The only thing you should be concerned about is the stress on your body due to overuse. Its good to get some rest and change things up but to each their own.
  • mlclark86
    mlclark86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do want to add strength training to my routine, but I hate the weight area in my gym. It is always full of 20year old men who lift regularly and as a almost 30 year old woman I feel intimidated and awkward. I haven't done much lifting since high school and every time I think about doing it I talk myself out of it because of my self consciousness. I think I would still do elliptcal after even if I did add strength training though...I just feel so great while on it and after I am done.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I do almost 2 hours of cardio, 6 days a week. 50 minutes of that is walking with friends in the early morning and the rest is elliptical or treadmill when the weather is yuck or outdoor walking when it is nice. I also do 3 days of stronglifts 5X5. People who are in training for marathons do much more than we are. I feel great and do not have pain or injuries. I have been doing this much cardio, plus 3 hours of strength training, for six months. The mental benefits of cardio make it heavenly for me. Originally my goal was to cut back on cardio by 1/2 when I got to goal weight, now I love it so much, I may change my mind.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    mlclark86 wrote: »
    I do want to add strength training to my routine, but I hate the weight area in my gym. It is always full of 20year old men who lift regularly and as a almost 30 year old woman I feel intimidated and awkward. I haven't done much lifting since high school and every time I think about doing it I talk myself out of it because of my self consciousness. I think I would still do elliptcal after even if I did add strength training though...I just feel so great while on it and after I am done.

Well, most of the 20 year old men have no idea what they're doing when it comes to lifting, so nothing to be self conscious about.
  • giorgioc722
    Options
    mlclark86 wrote: »

Eh, push them 20some-odd year old dudes aside and go lift. They got more time to make up for it :p

I've grown fond of tossing a kettle-bell around in my house for when I'm not gonna go to the gym. See if you find that fun.
  • mlclark86
    mlclark86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well, most of the 20 year old men have no idea what they're doing when it comes to lifting, so nothing to be self conscious about.[/quote]

You are most likely right...I just need to get over it and get in there. I know that once I do it once it will get easier...just gotta talk myself into it that first time.
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a thing as "too much cardio". See - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/#axzz3wyHdd4vb

(but here's a short recap in case you don't have time to read all of that)

The benefits of low level aerobic work (walking, hiking, cycling, swimming):
    – increases capillary network (blood vessels that supply the muscle cells with fuel and oxygen)
    – increases muscle mitochondria
    – increases production of fat-burning and fat-transporting enzymes
    – more fun, because you can talk with a partner while doing it

The benefits of interval training (sprinting in short intense bursts)
    – increases muscle fiber strength
    – increases aerobic capacity (work ability)
    – increases muscle mitochondria (the main energy production center in muscle)
    – increases insulin sensitivity
    – increases natural growth hormone production

The costs of chronic (repetitious) mid- and high-level aerobic work
    – requires large amounts of dietary carbohydrates (SUGAR)
    – decreases efficient fat metabolism
    – increases stress hormone cortisol
    – increases systemic inflammation
    – increases oxidative damage (free radical production)
    – boring!

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing. Since you're new to exercise, you should ease into it. Doing too much too soon can leave you open to injury. I will say though that exercise is a wonderful thing and give you all those ooey gooey endorphins. Just be careful with it. You can easily overuse your muscles (in your legs or arms since it's elliptical) without even realizing it. So pace yourself. After you've been at it for a while then maybe increase the resistance or pace, just not the time (you wouldn't want to do all 3, just pick one). Make sure you take rest days too.

For me, unless I was out hiking or doing something like a run/walk followed by some light water exercises, 2 hours would probably be too much.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Some people do ultramarathons and ironmans and other stuff... That's cardio in my book. Totally depends on your goal. Your body will usually tell you when it's too much