Lean Bulk - so far so good.

pbryd
pbryd Posts: 364 Member
September 123.4lb
October 124.9lb
November 127.5lb
December 129.3lb
January 130.1lb

How do these figures look for a long lean bulk?

I'm 5'6" and in my early forties. Previous to these figures I was dieting down to get lean (29.5" waist, around 10%bf).

Then I increased my calories a little until I started gaining weight slowly. My waist has crept up to 30" but I think it's acceptable.

My plan is to carry on lifting and eating until I hit a point where my waist is getting too large and then I'll cut back on the calories for a quick cut.

Replies

• pbryd
    I think my metabolism must be racing because I'm having to consume 2600 calories daily for this small weight gain.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    pbryd wrote: »
    September 123.4lb
    October 124.9lb
    November 127.5lb
    December 129.3lb
    January 130.1lb

I'm 5'6" and in my early forties. Previous to these figures I was dieting down to get lean (29.5" waist, around 10%bf).

Then I increased my calories a little until I started gaining weight slowly. My waist has crept up to 30" but I think it's acceptable.

My plan is to carry on lifting and eating until I hit a point where my waist is getting too large and then I'll cut back on the calories for a quick cut.

Numbers looks great.

IMO, there’s really no use in applying a set time frame to anyone's bulking phase, as it’s not going to be possible for that person to predict exactly how fast they'll ultimately make gains in the first place. Your individual rate of muscle growth will depend on your genetics, how well your program is structured, and how closely you adhere to it.

Around half a pound of lean body weight per week is a reasonable guideline, but this is just a rough estimate.

Not only that, but you won’t even be able to predict how those resulting gains will appear on your individual frame once you make them. For example, 15 pounds of muscle on a 5’7 frame with shorter limbs will not appear the same as 15 pounds of muscle on a 6’4 frame with longer limbs. You’ll only know how it looks and whether or not you’re actually satisfied with it once you actually get there.

The second thing to consider are your body fat levels.

Any time you try to gain a significant amount of muscle, you’re always going to gain some body fat with it. This is just the nature of remaining in a calorie surplus over time, and your goal during a bulking phase is to simply keep those fat gains to an absolute minimum.

This is best accomplished by maintaining only a small, well controlled calorie surplus of around 15% above your calorie maintenance level… ensuring that you’re employing a properly structured weight training routine… and including some additional cardio exercise to keep fat gains at bay.

Your best bet is to simply take it week by week, monitor your progress (which you're already doing) and then simply shift into fat loss mode when/if it becomes necessary.

To set out from the get go and explicitly say this person is going to “bulk for 4 months and then cut for 2 months” or “bulk for 1 year and then cut for 3 months” probably isn’t going to do anybody any real good, as there are too many unpredictable factors at play.

Just continue bulking until you reach a level of muscular development that you’re happy with, or until your body fat levels reach a level that you aren’t comfortable with and want to reduce.

Just make sure that you stay in your bulking phase long enough to truly make some solid, measurable progress first before shifting gears. Just don't be the guy who constantly goes back and forth every few weeks, and after a year or two still hasn’t made any real noticeable progress in either direction.
  • pbryd
    Thanks for the reply, your advice matches my plan exactly, apart from cardio, I'm not doing any atm.

The weights I'm lifting are moving up nicely too, so I'm really pleased with the progress.

If my weight gain stalls or the weights on the bar stop going up, i'll take this as a sign to up my calories further, as long as my waist is still under control.

P
  • elite_nal
    Thanks for the reply, your advice matches my plan exactly, apart from cardio, I'm not doing any atm.

The weights I'm lifting are moving up nicely too, so I'm really pleased with the progress.

If my weight gain stalls or the weights on the bar stop going up, i'll take this as a sign to up my calories further, as long as my waist is still under control.

P

Agreed sir.

Gaining strength is actually by far the single most important factor of anything in your entire training program, and it’s the one thing that should be given the highest amount of focus when you’re in the gym.

Yes, total training volume and frequency are also important, but PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD is still the ultimate bottom line when it comes to building muscle.

So many people try to over complicate things, and in the process they end up losing sight of this one basic principle. However, it’s the one principle that lies at the very foundation of the entire muscle building process.

If you’re not consistently getting stronger, you’re not going to be getting much bigger. You can pretty much be guaranteed of that.

This is why I constantly talk about how crucial it is that you keep a training logbook, track your workouts (weight, sets and reps) and then focus on “beating the numbers” each week.

In fact, doing this one thing alone and combining it with a reasonably controlled calorie surplus essentially guarantees muscle growth for you. :)

• I'm 5'7" and weigh around 143lbs. I really want to lean bulk so may i ask what your macros are?
  • pbryd
    Protein 1g / 1lb
    Fat 0.4g / 1lb
    Carbs for the remaining calories.

As close to this as I can get using MFP percentage ratios.

Does that help?
  • pbryd
    I upped my calories by raising carbs to my current daily total of 2600.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Take into consideration your age too. Your peak growing time was in your 20's due to hormones. They reduce as you get older, so a "lean" bulk would mean much more fat now than in your 20's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Yes it did, thanks man!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I think my metabolism must be racing because I'm having to consume 2600 calories daily for this small weight gain.

Based on your stats, 2600 is more in the standard range.

Your results seem pretty good, so keep it up.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Take into consideration your age too. Your peak growing time was in your 20's due to hormones. They reduce as you get older, so a "lean" bulk would mean much more fat now than in your 20's.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just another reason why aging sucks.
  • pbryd
    psulemon wrote: »

Based on your stats, 2600 is more in the standard range.

Your results seem pretty good, so keep it up.

Probably why i've never made a lot of progress in the gym on previous attempts. Simply not eating enough.

Counting calories has definitely made it possible, takes out all the guessing, I just wished I'd done it 20 years ago lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Looks good. Wish my bulk/weight was added that slowly.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just another reason why aging sucks.

ha ha!

Another kick in the nuts for #teamgrayballs
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    September 123.4lb
    October 124.9lb
    November 127.5lb
    December 129.3lb
    January 130.1lb

What BF% are you at right now? I'm guessing it's more likely already low based on your waist measurement. Your progress looks great though.
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    September 123.4lb
    October 124.9lb
    November 127.5lb
    December 129.3lb
    January 130.1lb

Not a fan of any "quick cuts" especially after a slower, cleaner/lean(er) bulk. I hate that dehydrated feeling.

Started the bulk around end of October at 194 lbs. Currently hovering around 213 lbs. Originally wanted to get up to about 220 and start cutting up in February but decided to just start earlier than usual. Trying to reach 10-11% BF by May, which is more realistic.
  • pbryd
    Quick update to for January.

The weights last week seemed unusually heavy and I failed to reach my target reps for dumbbell shoulder presses and weighted pull ups.

I counted the weeks of progressive training and I was up to 8 weeks, so I decided this last week in January would be a deload week and I'll set some February goals to beat January's best lifts.

Also in January my new trap bar arrived along with a couple of bumper plates and some rubber coated iron. Trap bar squats will be added to my routine to replace front squats.

My average weight for January is 130.2lb, up from 129.3lb in December, with an increase in waist from 29.9" to 30.1"

At the end of Feb I'll think about upping my daily calories by a further 100, to a total of 2700.

• pbryd

Not a fan of any "quick cuts" especially after a slower, cleaner/lean(er) bulk. I hate that dehydrated feeling.

Started the bulk around end of October at 194 lbs. Currently hovering around 213 lbs. Originally wanted to get up to about 220 and start cutting up in February but decided to just start earlier than usual. Trying to reach 10-11% BF by May, which is more realistic.

Good to hear your bulk went well. I'm following the advice of Mike Matthews who advises against long cuts because it allows more time for your metabolism to slow down.

i did a 6 week cut before I started bulking which went very well and allowed me to continue increasing my strength in the gym while losing fat around my waist. Beginner gains I suppose.

• skittlebitz
    skittlebitz Posts: 29 Member

Good to hear your bulk went well. I'm following the advice of Mike Matthews who advises against long cuts because it allows more time for your metabolism to slow down.

i did a 6 week cut before I started bulking which went very well and allowed me to continue increasing my strength in the gym while losing fat around my waist. Beginner gains I suppose.

Have you done a quick cut before? Just curious as after this 4ish month bulk I would like to do a quick cut and start bulking again! I hate eating lower and lower and lower amounts of calories :neutral:
  • elite_nal

A cutting phase can continue for whatever length of time is necessary for any individual to reach their desired level of leanness, or until they simply want to shift gears and add some muscle mass based on their personal preference of how they want to look.

Again, depending on the person, the time frame for this could vary all over the map.

If you want to lay out a set bulking and cutting cycle length for yourself right from the start just to get a rough idea of the time frames you might be dealing with, that’s fine.

However, just keep in mind that these will only be rough estimates, since there’s no way for you to predict what your exact rate of muscle growth or fat loss will be, how those changes will reflect in your actual physical appearance, or how your preferences might also change over time

Long cuts are fine. As long as you're maintaining a small to moderate deficit (or a large deficit but only over a short period of time) it's not going to be a concern. But yes, I would not recommend using a large deficit over an extended period for that reason.