Gym Bag Essentials

Options
mbaker566
mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
I'm sure this has been done to death but my turn.

What do you have in your gym bag that you feel is essential? hair ties? your own towel? sandals for the shower?
I've been exercising but ice is bringing me indoors and I've never been a gym person before. I really have no idea what to bring

some days I'll be going in the morning before work and other days I'll be heading over after work. My skin is prone to eczema and my hair is prone to grease.

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Lifting shoes, t-shirt, shorts, towel, underwear and socks for after shower, shampoo and soap, deodorant, notepad for logging progress, phone+ear buds, a pencil and a comb
  • mbaker566
    Options
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Gloves (for working with weights), extra headphones, towel, inhaler(I have asthma), hair brush and extra twisty , extra t-shirt, so i don't walk out wearing a wet t-shirt when it's cold out, heart rate monitor and water bottle
  • mbaker566
    Options
    good stuff. i forgot about a brush
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Will you be going to work straight from the gym on the days you work out in the morning? If so, you'll need shower stuff: soap, shampoo, conditioner. Maybe skin cream? Deodorant, powder, makeup, jewelry, toothbrush, toothpaste.... Of course, bring your work clothes including shoes and socks/stockings. A refillable water bottle.

Bring some sort of snack to have on your way to work - many people want protein after a workout. I like yogurt with some nuts thrown in.

If you'll be doing anything in the water, bring a large zip lock for your wet bathing suit (and towel, if the gym doesn't provide them). If your workout clothes are stinky, bring a zip lock for them, too.

Don't forget a lock for your locker!
  • mbaker566
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm afraid I'll forget my work clothes :P or work shoes. i wouldn't want to pack them the night before-all wrinkly.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Hair ties/clips because I hate working out with my hair on my neck. Lock. Towel. Light jacket for after the gym, when I'm sweaty and get chilled. Water bottle. iPod/ear buds.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'll forget my work clothes :P or work shoes. i wouldn't want to pack them the night before-all wrinkly.

Clip your car keys to the hanger that has your work clothes, so you can't drive away without it. Pack everything else in your bag the night before.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    hair ties, never enough. i generally wear buffs since i have those more readily available but hair ties(since i'm transitioning from outdoor running)

oh smart key trick :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The only thing I really need is a proper change of clothes. Beyond that, I don't really need anything. I'm coordinated enough to be able to run and carry my phone/keys if needed, and while music is nice when I lift, it doesn't have any direct impact on my workout.

I typically keep my garmin & chest strap in my bag. During the winter I keep a thin hat/skull cap in there. I used to keep a few bucks in a zipper pocket just in case, but I used it to raid the vending machine at work one day and haven't ever replaced it.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    cool :)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    pad lock, towel, earbuds, lip balm, armband phone holder, goggles, hair ties, extra socks, extra sports bra
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Iphone with a great playlist-lots of crazy music, headphones, lifting gloves and belt, towel, lock and my Liporidex PRE/T pre-workout with a shaker and 2 scoops of Optimal Nutrition Extreme Chocolate Protein and 1oz of almonds so I get it in right after workout. I shower/change at home, gym showers are not my favorite..
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I work out at lunch using my company's gym (better than a hotel gym, but not near an established chain gym). It's nice, but doesn't have a lot of the amenities that a chain has (no towel service, things like that)

In rotation:
    Workout clothes appropriate for whatever I'm doing that day
    Clean post-shower towel
    Washcloth

In the bag always:
    Soap for said shower (I'm picky)
    Deodorant
    Cologne
    Hair gunk
    Random bandaids and other first-aid type stuff
    Lifting gloves
    Lacrosse ball (for working out the kinks)
    Emergency socks (sometimes I forget to pack them)
    Yurbuds
    Strap for heart rate monitor
    Arm pocket for iPod
    Jump Rope (I have it tied up to the length I like, rather than taking that risk of getting the right one in the gym itself)
    Sunglasses for running or other outside workouts
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have exactly 1 hr to change, workout, and get back to my desk so I don't have time for a full shower (which is gross some days)... My essentials: hair ties, dry shampoo, deodorant, and some sort of wipe (baby wipe, etc). If I did have time to shower, I would bring some sort of flip flop or shoe to wear in those nasty showers. :D
  • mbaker566
    Options
    all good stuff.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Put your lock on your gym bag as a habit.

Lock it to your zipper or something as soon as you unlock your locker

It will keep you from leaving it at the gym. I have forgetting my lock!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How big is your bag and what does your gym provide? Do you think you'll have to shower afterward?

I'd say:
    Shoes and socks
    Shirt
    Shorts
    Sports bra
    Notepad/phone
    Music if you want
    Maybe a watch

And for getting ready after:
    Change of clothes incl. undies, bra, shrit, pants, shoes, socks - If you wear to the gym in the morning either your workout stuff or the stuff you'll wear at work, you only really need to remember the right underwear and socks.
    shower sandals
    2 in 1 shampoo/bodywash + body puff or cloth
    face cleanser
    hair brush
    hair drier (unless your gym has this)
    towel for shower (unless gym provides it)
    Deodorant
    Makeup as wanted

It's pretty similar to going to the beach actually. So replace the swim suit with workout clothes and skip the sun screen and you should have what you need. Go after work on your first time so that if you miss something, you're heading home, not to work where it will be a big deal.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    TOWEL, water, hair brush, deodorant, mints. headphones... I shower at home