Why do strength exercises not count for colors worked in mfp??

Just wondering why strength exercises do not count towards calories burned in mfp? Also does anyone know what a standard Ola k would be listed as or should I just make my own exercise?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Look up "strength training" in the cardio section for calories.

I don't speak Norwegian so I can't answer the second question.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    strength exercises don't count for calories because they don't burn enough calories to count.
  • meghanfleming855
    meghanfleming855 Posts: 43 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Look up "strength training" in the cardio section for calories.

I don't speak Norwegian so I can't answer the second question.

That was suppose to say plank
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    I use Polar to measure my calories expenditure while lifting weights. You can actually burn tons of calories by lifting-I use super sets and cardio acceleration and burn A LOT of calories when I am lifting.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Hr monitors aren't accurate calorie counters for lifting. They are more for steady state cardio
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I use the 'strength training' option in the cardio section. It gives me piddly little calories like 129 or something in an hour of lifting. I don't believe it too much but then again I don't tend to eat back my calories because I'm already on lots of them (2100 atm). Some days when I finish working out and am dripping sweat I can't believe I only burnt 129 cals. I think it counts 'bro workout' strength training where you do a set then sit on your phone for 20 mintues rather than 'beast-mode' workouts where you do supersets and 30 second rests and burts of cardio between lifts to keep heart rate up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I use Polar to measure my calories expenditure while lifting weights. You can actually burn tons of calories by lifting-I use super sets and cardio acceleration and burn A LOT of calories when I am lifting.

Doing it wrong I'm afraid - HRM will massively over-estimate.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Doing it wrong I'm afraid - HRM will massively over-estimate.

Yup.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    high rep cardio type lifting will burn more than strength training.
    Regarding the plank calories, you are probably burning more calories trying to figure out how to log a plank than you actually burned planking.
    Lifting isn't about calorie burning, its about getting fit and healthy and strong, do planks they are awesome for core strength.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    edited January 2016
    It depends on the intensity of the routine.

Back in the day when I had all the time in the world I would go through my lifts very leisurely. In that case, I didn't think my HR was elevated high enough for long enough to warrant a calorie count.

Now I go to the gym with a time limit and I have to crank everything out without as much rest, and I am red-faced and hot and working hard the whole time, so you bet I count those calories! There is a strength training option in the cardio section.

If you eat back your exercise calories and your workouts look more like the second example, you may be doing a disservice to your lifting if you don't eat some extra calories. Those extra 200 cals on my gym days are essential to my well being and my ability to keep going to the gym, but my main goal is fitness and not weight loss so YMMV.