Clingy baby and exercising

Any moms dealing with a clingy baby? I'm trying to lose weight but finding getting in a good work out to be extremely hard since I have a clingy 6 month old. I've tried working out when she naps but let's face it...by that time my body is drained. I don't trust child care so I work out at home. Any tips on how to get it in with a baby that refuses to let me breath? TIA

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Any moms dealing with a clingy baby? I'm trying to lose weight but finding getting in a good work out to be extremely hard since I have a clingy 6 month old. I've tried working out when she naps but let's face it...by that time my body is drained. I don't trust child care so I work out at home. Any tips on how to get it in with a baby that refuses to let me breath? TIA

You do not have a clingy baby, you have a normal baby :) If your 6 month old was content staring at you for an hour and not complaining, you would really have to worry about normal development.
    So, what one can do with a 6 month old:
    1) Get a good carrier and walk. Babies love it and it is good exercise.
    2) Break your workouts into small intervals. A baby will probably not let you exercise for an hour, but you can squeeze a few 5-10 minutes sessions here and there.
    3) Work out when baby naps, unless you need the nap yourself.
    4) Unless you are a single parent, let your partner take care of the baby for an hour and work out then. This is something that should be happening any way, no matter what you do at this time, because you need a break and the baby needs to bond wit both parents.
    5) Get a part time sitter, like a teenager from the neighbourhood, to entertain the baby while you work out (you can still work out at home)
    6) Look for workouts that involve the baby.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Hi. It is totally normal. I have 2 kids both were glued to me as babies and the 18 months old still is at times. I find it v hard to work out at home w two little ones, so I have joined a gym and my husband takes care of them. Alternative is to organize your workouts around walks but walk fast, add a few sprints to get your HR up, or do some squats and push up. I did a walk jog yesterday w my older one on his scooter, the little one in stroller and I raced my older one several times. In 50 minutes, I got a super good workout and my kids also had fun.

Also, I have to tell you that I totally failed to work out regularly when my kids were that little. I know there are many inspiring women out there who can do it but my brain was not fully tuned to working out it was fully tuned to baby, and breastfeeding, and moving to mixed feeding, and sleep schedules, and returning to work, and making sure i had some little time for my husband, etc.....The best I could do at that time is to walk as much as I could.

Good luck, you are not alone finding this hard
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    In my area there are mom/baby exercise classes... Aquafit, Zumba, Salsa and Stroller fit. All of them incorporate baby into the exercise routine.

Also, if you have a good baby carrier, and live where it's not too cold, try fast paced walking... especially areas with hills.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    my kid loved, and still digs the jogger stroller. i put her in it at about 6 months.
  • clrug0912
    clrug0912 Posts: 43 Member
    If you live in an area that its warm right now, try long walks with the baby. I know that's hard where I live in the winter. I would also try youtubing exercises with baby. I know that there is some stuff you can do with them that would be beneficial.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I'm sorry, I have no useful tips to add for workouts but wanted to let you know this does get easier. My son would scream if I put him down "hold ya hold ya holdya" over and over again. He wanted to be held all day and night. Finally around 12 months he was content playing in his crib for 20 mins . it does get easier. I remember not even being able to shower for longer then 2 mins because of the screaming. Lol ! As time goes on baby will get interested in play and watching dvds. So it will be easier for you then. Best of luck to you!
  • LastChanceRobin
    LastChanceRobin Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2016
    I have a clingy 18 month old. He has been a leech since birth, and refuses to be content with anyone else. We actually were asked to not return to the gym daycare because he was hysterical the entire time he was there.

When he was very small, I would incorporate him into my workout (squats while babywearing, walks, etc). We also do not have reliable childcare and I am not comfortable with the idea of finding outside help just so I can work out.

I wake up before he does (I set my alarm for 3am to workout and get some of my own actual work done before the boys are up at 5). This is keeping in mind he still wakes up at least once per night. I have the energy in the morning, so I use it. I run or exercise then, and am free to spend the day with the baby and his brother. It is hard some days and I am exhausted by the end of the day, but it is worth it. On the weekends, my husband watches him so I can "sleep in" (until 5) and go for a run.
  • gettingsexybck007
    gettingsexybck007 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks!!! Lol yes I am dealing with the same!!!
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I have no useful tips to add for workouts but wanted to let you know this does get easier. My son would scream if I put him down "hold ya hold ya holdya" over and over again. He wanted to be held all day and night. Finally around 12 months he was content playing in his crib for 20 mins . it does get easier. I remember not even being able to shower for longer then 2 mins because of the screaming. Lol ! As time goes on baby will get interested in play and watching dvds. So it will be easier for you then. Best of luck to you!

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yeah, get a good carrier that you can wear on walks.
  • twoeight80
    twoeight80 Posts: 24 Member
    Awww! I've been there too! Every time it feels like it's going to last forever. I haven't been without a baby in 10 years. The most I've ever been able to do is a 15 minute Yoga video (Holy Yoga on Youtube) or putting the baby to bed at night and taking a walk. I can't possibly do a lengthy workout at the end of the day. Walks are nice though because you can decompress too. I'm going to start some weights now that my youngest can play with toys for a few minutes but I dont expect it to be more than a few minutes.

Most of all, dont forget that your baby loves you and doesnt even see your figure. I still look at photos of my mom at all different sizes and think she's the most beautiful woman in the world!
  • stopeatingout
    stopeatingout Posts: 18 Member
    I have a 5month old and this is what I do. I spend all my time interacting with her while she is awake for MOST of the day (this way, I do not feel bad while exercising and having her do something else for half an hour). I do the Jillian Michaels workout DVD's and I can usually get in 30 or 40mins before my baby starts to fuss. I put my baby on the floor and place my laptop infront of her and then I turn on CHU CHU TV. She absolutely loves it but she only gets it while I am exercising. She loves to watch the animation and she can also watch me exercise at the same time. Usually I try to sing and exercise at the same time but sometimes I cant do both. Before I found CHU CHU TV, I had to exercise at 6pm when my husband got home from work (which was awfully exhausting). I also have a dog that I walk for 1hr a day and that helps too! Hope this helps!
  • gettingsexybck007
    gettingsexybck007 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks for the tips ladies!!! I wonder if safe to walk the treadmill with her strap in her carrier/sling? Its front/and face to face
  • Amalthea8284
    Amalthea8284 Posts: 49 Member
    I use my elliptical with my baby strapped to me. Officially I think it would be discouraged, but as long as you are being safe and aware, it should be fine. Like I said, I do it.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    That's totally normal baby behavior!

I lived in a carrier in those days. If you're an experienced treadmill user then walking with the baby is probably fine, but get outside if you can.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    I have 4 children, and sometimes working out as a new mom takes some creativity! I'd highly recommend investing in a frame backpack type of carrier and/or a decent jogging stroller. We bought a Kelty carrier when baby #3 was 6 months old, and hubby and I have both used it SO much over the past 4 years. The kids love being able to see the world from that vantage point, and it's an excellent workout, especially as the babies get bigger.

Other tips...break your workout up throughout the day. I used to write my daily workout on a little white board and wipe off each thing as I got it done. You can get a lot of squats/lunges done in a day if you do 20 at a time! Bonus if you do them with a baby strapped to you. :) Also, Baby Einstein videos saved my sanity many, many, many times.
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    My daughter will be 2 in March and I also workout at home. I just put her favorite cartoon on, put some snacks out and maybe even some music that I know she loves to dance to as well or a show that has singing or something she likes and it keeps her pretty occupied. It's funny cause even when I do jumping jacks she will see mommy and try to mimic me and jump around to!
  • Ashrina2
    Ashrina2 Posts: 13 Member
    My little girl is 21 months old, so she's up and running around and when she naps I need to to have my coffee and have some relax time, or do something around the house that I find difficult when she's awake! No working out during nap time for me. What I do is take her out in the stroller for a walk most days in the morning. When my husband gets in from work he looks after her for about an hour while I go for a 20 min jog and do my weight training, if he has to work late, I ask my mother in law to help out.

I walk in the morning so I don't feel like I'm waiting all day to get some exercise :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Thanks for the tips ladies!!! I wonder if safe to walk the treadmill with her strap in her carrier/sling? Its front/and face to face

NO
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Ouch, I have the same problem. I am so exhausted that it takes a lot of nerve to do any workout any time of the day. I am also not in a shape good enough to do my thing with her weight on me. I'm not here to give advice but to say you're not alone in this. Right now I'm trying to be creative and seize any opportunity, and mainly trying to convince myself that working out won't make me tired - on the contrary, it will give me a rush of hormones that will keep me going. Today I used her napping time to do 15 min beginners workout combining weights and a little cardio. I know it's not enough to give me any progress but I'm trying just to incorporate the idea that working out should be a part of my day. Sorry for going off-topic :) I can use any piece of advice or support so any moms with or without experience - feel free to add me.
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2016
    Baby wearing.

Walking. Elliptical. Treadmill. YouTube videos.

Eta
    Mom to 4. Youngest is almost 3 months.