Beginner home workout routine?

Options
I'm currently trying to lose just 10 pounds, and I've been losing slowly without exercising. I was hoping to start working out a little bit at home to start adding a little bit of muscle and speeding up the weight loss. Currently I have the stretch band things, and an exercise ball. Can anyone more knowledgable give me a simple, effective routine? Would love to focus more on lower body.

Thought about doing that Pinterest squat challenge, doing abs on the exercising ball, and using the bands to work out my arms and to stretch. Any other ideas? Any help would be so appreciated!!

Replies

• tk1dgr1
    tk1dgr1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When i started out, i did the True Beginners work on on daily burn. It truly was what the title said and there were a lot of modifications. There is also no special equipment necessary. It helped me be a bit more confident to start exercising by myself.
  • LauraStout74
    LauraStout74 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Walk The Weight Off set by Jessica Smith. I'm four days in and I really like it so far. I ordered it from Amazon.
  • corrinrosales5
    corrinrosales5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You can do a ton with various household items. Work your butt and hamstrings with the wall. Do back with wall. Triceps with chair, etc. When I have time today, I'll explain more with each if you are interested! Home exercises are so creative
  • nm2bsc
    nm2bsc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have used instagram to show friends basic moves. Search a combination of tags with #stretchband and #exerciseball
    Use any of those two with keywords like
    Body parts:
    Triceps
    Arms
    Shoulder
    Delts
    Traps
    Back
    Abs
    Core
    Glutes
    Hams
    Calves

Motions:
    Curl
    Extension
    Shurgs
    Crunch
    Pull
    Press
    Raise
    Squat
    Lunges

I may leave other keywords but these will get you going.

• lizkharvey
    lizkharvey Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys =] Ill look into all of these!!
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    www.fitnessblender.com has TONS of workout vids for you to follow along with. Have a look :)
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    This can be done in 15 minutes, which is 1% of your day.

The 1% Workout

This bodyweight workout can be done 3-4 times per week, and is intended to help you burn fat and build strength. If any of the exercises feel too hard, make modifications and build up to them.
    Bodyweight squats – 8-10 reps
    Push-ups (or knee-push ups) – 5-8 reps
    Plank – hold for 15 seconds
    Jumping Jacks – 15 reps
    Bodyweight Reverse Lunges – 6 reps per leg
    Lying Hip Raise (double or single leg) – 10 reps

How to Do it

Cycle through the exercises sequentially, resting and repeating as prescribed based on your fitness level.

Beginners: Perform exercises 1-6 in order, resting 30 seconds between each. This is one circuit. Perform a total of 4 circuits, resting 90 seconds between each. This workout should take you approximately 15 minutes.

Intermediate: Add 10 seconds to the plank. Perform exercises 1-6 in order, resting 20 seconds between each. This is one circuit. Perform a total of 5 circuits, resting 75-90 seconds between each. This workout should take you approximately 18 minutes.

Advanced: Add 20 seconds to the plank. Perform exercises 1-6 in order, resting 20 seconds between each. This is one circuit. Perform a total of 6 circuits, resting 75 seconds between each. This workout should take you approximately 22 minutes.

Elite: Add 3-5 reps per exercise and 30 seconds to the plank. Perform exercises 1-6 in order, resting 10 seconds between each. This is one circuit. Perform a total of 6 circuits, resting 45 seconds between each. This workout should take you approximately 18 minutes.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Jillian130 wrote: »
    www.fitnessblender.com has TONS of workout vids for you to follow along with. Have a look :)

i second this! and last week on their youtube channel they had a 5-day program where they had a video for each day to follow along to (and it was awesome) they show beginner modifications too...
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I tried to do the ultra-mega-super elite mode on this one, which was:

Squats - 20 reps (no rest)
    Push-ups - 20 reps (10 second rest)
    Plant - 60 seconds (no rest)
    Jumping Jacks - 60 reps (no rest)
    Lunges - 10 reps per leg (no rest)
    Hip raise - 20 reps (10 double, five single per leg)

Rest 60 seconds, then repeat for total of six circuits. I wound up resting a lot more than I thought I would (after three circuits) and cutting down on some of the reps. So this doesn't have to be beginner, either. It can be kind of a cool way to see what kind of shape you're in for HIIT style, intensely-paced workouts.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    By the way, good for you for incorporating exercise into your weight loss plan. It's true, you can lose without any exercise. However, exercise (especially the strength training) will make you a more capable person, will speed the weight loss, will probably have you looking better (whatever your idea of better is). I never wanted to have a nice butt, but at my peak physical condition, I got compliments on it. I assume it's because I did weighted back squats every time I went to the gym. I assume most models do some form of strength training. Anyway, sorry for so much damn typing, but good for you.
  • tigernikki
    tigernikki Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender. They have all sorts of workouts, on their website you can search for your preference as well. They have over 500 free workouts.
  • lizkharvey
    Options

The 1% Workout

This bodyweight workout can be done 3-4 times per week, and is intended to help you burn fat and build strength. If any of the exercises feel too hard, make modifications and build up to them.
    Jumping Jacks – 15 reps

How to Do it

Cycle through the exercises sequentially, resting and repeating as prescribed based on your fitness level.

Beginners: Perform exercises 1-6 in order, resting 30 seconds between each. This is one circuit. Perform a total of 4 circuits, resting 90 seconds between each. This workout should take you approximately 15 minutes.

Intermediate: Add 10 seconds to the plank. Perform exercises 1-6 in order, resting 20 seconds between each. This is one circuit. Perform a total of 5 circuits, resting 75-90 seconds between each. This workout should take you approximately 18 minutes.

Advanced: Add 20 seconds to the plank. Perform exercises 1-6 in order, resting 20 seconds between each. This is one circuit. Perform a total of 6 circuits, resting 75 seconds between each. This workout should take you approximately 22 minutes.

Elite: Add 3-5 reps per exercise and 30 seconds to the plank. Perform exercises 1-6 in order, resting 10 seconds between each. This is one circuit. Perform a total of 6 circuits, resting 45 seconds between each. This workout should take you approximately 18 minutes.

Thank you!! This is something I was looking for!! I'm a detail-oriented person and I need a schedule to follow from someone more experienced to get started, usually. I can't start something if I don't have a clear and scheduled idea of what to do lol
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

The 1% Workout

Jumping Jacks – 15 reps

There's nothing for your back here. I'd change the JJ's and lunges or hip raises for bodyweight rows and pull-ups of some sort, assisted if needed.
  • lizkharvey
    Options
    What if I just added rows? Not sure what a reverse lunge is
  • multivenue
    multivenue Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you like structure (me too), Fitnessblender also have structured plans you can buy, very, very cheaply.
  • lizkharvey
    Options
    I'll check that out!!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I love fitness blender its free and so much choice
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I love fitness blender.

Also, I saw amazing changes when I started do HIIT with kettlebells.
    Takes up very little room and you can find all kinds of routines online.
  • lizkharvey
    Options
    What kind of changes?

I found some HIIT routines on Pinterest and I finally joined Fitness Blender. I really like it! I've been doing some of the exercises :)