Starting a loose vegan diet, having trouble with nutrition

I'm eating loosely as a vegan, but with eggs and occasionally seafood, as an experiment. I feel good, but keep coming up short on calcium, iron and protein. Any suggestions? My calorie limit is 1560 but I usually hang out between 1250-1400

Replies

• Big_Jim_86
    Big_Jim_86 Posts: 11 Member
    I believe that eating style is called pescatarian, but beans and nuts are all full of the nutrients you are trying to add, if they aren't already a part of your diet. Good luck ☺
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    I'm not eating any dairy, so I'm not sure what to call myself
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    If you eat fish and eggs you are definitely 100% *not* a vegan who do not eat any animal products at all. You would be a pescatarian specifically and an omnivore more broadly since you you eat plants and animals (fish/seafood).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    it's 2016. why do we insist on putting labels on ourselves?

in all seriousness though, i wouldn't use the term "loosely vegan" at all. if you really want to describe your eating habits specifically, i'd say "i avoid meat and most dairy, but eat seafood occasionally."
  • cpalumbo89
    K not really the help I was looking for but cool
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    So is that like "a little bit pregnant"?
  • cpalumbo89
    What?
  • cpalumbo89

in all seriousness though, i wouldn't use the term "loosely vegan" at all. if you really want to describe your eating habits specifically, i'd say "i avoid meat and most dairy, but eat seafood occasionally."

I just thought it was easier then saying all that ^^
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    My vegan friends get their protein from legumes and nuts and calcium from leafy greens and nuts. Looks like legumes have calcium too: http://greatist.com/health/18-surprising-dairy-free-sources-calcium
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    http://veganhealth.org/articles/protein The Unnatural Vegan also did a few videos on vegan nutrition and good sources to find nutritional help/research.

Good luck!
  • j_baerg
    j_baerg Posts: 6 Member
    Could you give us an idea of what you normally eat in a day? I am not currently vegan but was for 2.5 years and never had a problem with getting nutrition. I usually stuck to consuming a protein shake with soy milk and a good all around vegan protein powder, like Vega, mid morning was a high fibre bread with a nut butter and lunch - dark greens with a protein (Vegamonicon's Chickpea patties) and some kind of Nut/Bean stirfry for dinner (Vegan Dad's blog has a chickpea and cashew one that's amazing), fill it in with fruit, dried roasted chickpeas etc.
  • cpalumbo89
    Ok great, legumes I'll have to look them up. I'll look up the unnatural vegan too, sounds interesting. Thanks!
  • andream25mac
    andream25mac Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    I've given up all meat and some dairy, I'd like to eliminate all animal products and artificial preservatives but its a process. I end up eating something I thought was clean and it wasn't. Its relearning everything. While I am still learning, I am not hitting my macros so I it found it helpful to supplement with shakes. This is a brand I love - www.amazinggrass.com that you might like to try.
    Also, greens are full of calcium and iron, so you might be not counting those correctly or eating too little of them.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Calcium- The problem with calcium for vegans is getting it in volume. Try making a habit of choosing calcium rich options, like almonds instead of cashews and dried figs instead of bananas. Drink plant milks, and make sure they're fortified with calcium. This is important because they are usually also fortified with iron and b12 (other hard to get nutrients). If you want to eat fish, eat sardines. They come with the bones in and are loaded with calcium.

Iron- Make sure you get legumes and dark leafy greens with at least half of your meals, and eat them with a good source of vitamin c because non-heme (plant) iron is harder for your body to absorb than heme (animal) iron. Choose plant milks (soy, almond, etc) and grain products (pasta, bread, cereal etc) that are fortified with iron.

Protein- Firstly, most people's expectations for protein are too high. It should take up about 10-35% of your calories. Most people eating a deficit are fine with 15%. If you are pregnant, nursing or doing a rigorous strength training program it will need to be higher. Usually when vegans don't get enough protein it's because they're sacrificing nutritious food for junk food while restricting calories. So if you're eating 1200 calories a day as a vegan, you're probably not going to be able to fit in things like soda, candy, or margarine on a daily basis.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    In addition to eggs and seafood, pescatarians can use beans, grains, and vegetables to meet their calcium, iron, and protein needs. I'm vegan and I get iron from beans, nuts, molasses, and enriched grain products (like bagels), I get calcium from fortified plant milks, greens, and tofu, and I get protein from beans, grains, vegetables, tofu, tempeh, and seitan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    For starters, you can't be loosely vegan. Being vegan is a moral position that goes well beyond diet. Vegans do not utilize animal products whatsoever...they don't eat them, they don't wear them, they don't have leather handbags, etc.

As far as being vegetarian or pescatarian goes, you'll need to eat more legumes, lentils, chickpeas, nuts, etc for iron and protein. Diary for calcium or supplement. It is possible that you will need to supplement B12 as well.
  • cpalumbo89
    Calcium- The problem with calcium for vegans is getting it in volume. Try making a habit of choosing calcium rich options, like almonds instead of cashews and dried figs instead of bananas. Drink plant milks, and make sure they're fortified with calcium. This is important because they are usually also fortified with iron and b12 (other hard to get nutrients). If you want to eat fish, eat sardines. They come with the bones in and are loaded with calcium.

Iron- Make sure you get legumes and dark leafy greens with at least half of your meals, and eat them with a good source of vitamin c because non-heme (plant) iron is harder for your body to absorb than heme (animal) iron. Choose plant milks (soy, almond, etc) and grain products (pasta, bread, cereal etc) that are fortified with iron.

Protein- Firstly, most people's expectations for protein are too high. It should take up about 10-35% of your calories. Most people eating a deficit are fine with 15%. If you are pregnant, nursing or doing a rigorous strength training program it will need to be higher. Usually when vegans don't get enough protein it's because they're sacrificing nutritious food for junk food while restricting calories. So if you're eating 1200 calories a day as a vegan, you're probably not going to be able to fit in things like soda, candy, or margarine on a daily basis.

Thanks this is actually really helpful! I'll definitely adjust my grocery list.
  • cpalumbo89
    In addition to eggs and seafood, pescatarians can use beans, grains, and vegetables to meet their calcium, iron, and protein needs. I'm vegan and I get iron from beans, nuts, molasses, and enriched grain products (like bagels), I get calcium from fortified plant milks, greens, and tofu, and I get protein from beans, grains, vegetables, tofu, tempeh, and seitan.

Molasses ok that's interesting I'll definitely have to try to use that.
  • cpalumbo89
    Thanks everyone! Sorry for my misuse of the word, I thought it would be easier than getting specific but that's clearly not the case. I'm aware of what a vegan actually is, and was looking for foods I wasn't familiar with to supplement my diet. Thanks for all the great info!
  • holothuroidea
    cpalumbo89 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Sorry for my misuse of the word, I thought it would be easier than getting specific but that's clearly not the case. I'm aware of what a vegan actually is, and was looking for foods I wasn't familiar with to supplement my diet. Thanks for all the great info!

Please don't let the semantics discourage you. Every time you choose a meal without animal products you are having a positive impact on your planet and your health no matter what you chose to eat yesterday. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member

Molasses ok that's interesting I'll definitely have to try to use that.

Blackstrap molasses is higher in iron, and lower in sugar and taste. I use http://www.iherb.com/Wholesome-Sweeteners-Inc-Organic-Molasses-Unsulphured-32-fl-oz-944-ml/34616
  • Burnabychick2014
    Burnabychick2014 Posts: 84 Member
    I Recommend Ginny Messina's theveganrd.com Her page provides short & easy to follow vegan nutrition primers that may answer some of your questions.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    I agree with holohuroidea - every little bit helps. Don't get discouraged. Eating fish and eggs now and then is better than going back to the Standard American Diet any day of the week.

I aim for 95% vegan (screw you haters) and had the same issues as you did. I did the following.
    1) Take a vegan multivitamin. has 100% of iron in it and also b12 if you ever cut out fish/eggs. I think I get a 2 pack from amazon for like $10 and lasts forever.
    2) Take calcium carbonate aka tums. Mine are like $3 for 300 tabs on amazon subscribe and save. and they taste good
    3) I eat a protein shake. Every day. Every. Day. EVERY DAY. I order my protein powder from true nutrition and they have like 30 different flavors you can get. I usually concoct a soy/pea/rice custom mix to ensure a complete protein. But I will probably cut out soy the next time I order. I like vanilla flavor, anything with the word "cream" in it, and orange cream is especially good.
  • janejellyroll
    AceofIvies wrote: »
    I agree with holohuroidea - every little bit helps. Don't get discouraged. Eating fish and eggs now and then is better than going back to the Standard American Diet any day of the week.

I aim for 95% vegan (screw you haters) and had the same issues as you did. I did the following.
    1) Take a vegan multivitamin. has 100% of iron in it and also b12 if you ever cut out fish/eggs. I think I get a 2 pack from amazon for like $10 and lasts forever.
    2) Take calcium carbonate aka tums. Mine are like $3 for 300 tabs on amazon subscribe and save. and they taste good
    3) I eat a protein shake. Every day. Every. Day. EVERY DAY. I order my protein powder from true nutrition and they have like 30 different flavors you can get. I usually concoct a soy/pea/rice custom mix to ensure a complete protein. But I will probably cut out soy the next time I order. I like vanilla flavor, anything with the word "cream" in it, and orange cream is especially good.

Veganism is an ethical position against unnecessary animal exploitation. I think it's wonderful that you're reducing the amount of animal products in your diet. But you can't be 95% percent against unnecessary animal exploitation and 5% for it.

This has nothing to do with "haters." It has to do with what the word means.

Please don't participate in degrading the meaning of the only word that we have to describe opposition to unnecessary animal exploitation. If you are okay with using animals unnecessarily 5% of the time, please consider using "plant-based diet" to describe your lifestyle.
  • holothuroidea

Veganism is an ethical position against unnecessary animal exploitation. I think it's wonderful that you're reducing the amount of animal products in your diet. But you can't be 95% percent against unnecessary animal exploitation and 5% for it.

Please don't participate in degrading the meaning of the only word that we have to describe opposition to unnecessary animal exploitation. If you are okay with using animals unnecessarily 5% of the time, please consider using "plant-based diet" to describe your lifestyle.

Personally, I find it super annoying that someone like Freelee the racist-classist and compassionate-to-humans-only-rarely banana girl gets ownership of the word vegan because she eats 100% bananas or whatever but someone like me who is ethically vegan but also acknowledges and tries to incorporate more than one level of ethics into their diet/lifestyle and therefore eats 90% vegan does not just because some people don't understand how that could possibly work.

I mean, I get it. I do not describe myself as vegan specifically in solidarity to the vegan community even though it would make my life a lot easier to just use the word. But when someone who is clearly new to the idea specifically describes themselves as "partially vegan" or "loosely vegan," what good does it do to bring the hammer of word-ownership down upon them? How is that helpful to people who are new to veganism and are trying their best? How does that help the animals?
  • janejellyroll

Personally, I find it super annoying that someone like Freelee the racist-classist and compassionate-to-humans-only-rarely banana girl gets ownership of the word vegan because she eats 100% bananas or whatever but someone like me who is ethically vegan but also acknowledges and tries to incorporate more than one level of ethics into their diet/lifestyle and therefore eats 90% vegan does not just because some people don't understand how that could possibly work.

I mean, I get it. I do not describe myself as vegan specifically in solidarity to the vegan community even though it would make my life a lot easier to just use the word. But when someone who is clearly new to the idea specifically describes themselves as "partially vegan" or "loosely vegan," what good does it do to bring the hammer of word-ownership down upon them? How is that helpful to people who are new to veganism and are trying their best? How does that help the animals?

I'm not clear how an ethical vegan would choose to consume animal products unnecessarily 10% of the time, but I'm hoping you will share more context of your situation with me. I'm not ceding "ownership" of the term vegan to Freelee, as I disagree with her position and I think she is actively doing harm to veganism.

I appreciate that you are not using "vegan" to describe yourself if you are choosing to use animals. I don't want to make things difficult for people who are newer to the concept of veganism. Help me understand where you're coming from.

My position right now: someone who is choosing to exploit animals unnecessarily 5% of the time is probably doing much better than the "standard Westerner" and I appreciate that. But it isn't veganism and I think it's okay to say that.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Big_Jim_86 wrote: »
    but beans and nuts are all full of the nutrients you are trying to add, if they aren't already a part of your diet.
    And packed with fat :(

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member

I just thought it was easier then saying all that ^^

"I'm eating loosely as a vegan, but with eggs and occasionally seafood" = 12 words
    "i avoid meat and dairy, but eat eggs and seafood occasionally" = 11 words*

Shorter, clearer, and less risk of offending or confusing anyone.

* edited from above poster to reflect what OP actually says she does
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member

Not all sardines come packed with their bones (they are also sold as fillets), so read the labels. You can also find salmon packed with their bones. In both cases the bones are pretty soft, but if you make the salmon into salmon cakes and cook them, they're even less noticeable.