New here:) I have some ?'s

Options
Hi, I'm Megan. I'm 24 years old and a stay at home mom to a 14 mo little boy! I have started tracking my calories but i just cant seem to get enough in. My goal is 1440 but I'm not even hitting 1,200. I don't know how to increase my calories the healthy way if that makes any sense. I'm also doing p90x lean. I have about 20lb to lose. I would really appreciate the help!!!!
Thanks in advance
Megan

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose about 15 lbs total and am 40 yrs old and a sahm. I recommend high protein foods like almonds and peanut butter that also have more calories. And I don't always eat every last calorie. I like to leave about 100 or so at the end of the day and have lost 6 lbs in the past 2 months through this site.
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You could try eating some high calorie nutritious snacks like nuts, peanut butter or avocados.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a great way to fill cals and to get awesome nutrients and proteins. And of course you don't have to eat all your cals. I had a significant defict yesterday and am fine.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Avocadoes are not as healthy sodium or fat content wise. Try increasing your protein portions. The more protein you eat the more fat you lose and muscle you gain. Plus it gives you healthy energy to burn off doing the P90x.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You could add 1/2 an english muffin with low-fat cream cheese to your breakfast scramble in the morning. Maybe eat the whole apple at lunch, and double your portion of chicken from 3oz to 6oz. If you're not used to eating this much, just try adding 100 healthy calories at a time until you get used to it! I agree with adding nuts and peanut butter to your diet too. Add in a snack maybe as well, I like baby carrots with hummus as a snack. Sometimes I go for a 60 calorie jello pudding with a half a cup of strawberries.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Try adding in dried fruit and sandwiches. I think those are probably my highest calorie things.
  • MicahandMegan
    Options
    Thanks!!! I've been avoiding peanut butter like the plague i thought it was way to fattening. I really don't know what I'm doing I've never had to lose weight before,I'm feeling super overwhelmed by this whole process
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Avocadoes are considered a superfood, they are very healthy for you. Its not the bad kind of fat thats in them.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i have 1200 calories a day and dont always eat them all. there is much controversy surrounding this but...if im not hungry, i dont eat. dont feel bad about it but if you are doing p90x i would suggest trying to get some high protein foods in there like nuts (trail mix is good) or avocado. good luck! i think you'll do fine. and congrats on the new baby boy :smile:
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Okay, looking at your food diary you are not eating nearly enough. For 1400 calories you should have three 400 calorie meals. And then a 200 calorie snack or something like that. On your diary, you said you only had 184 calories for breakfast? Breakfast should be your biggest meal. I eat 1 cup of oatmeal and a fruit for breakfast.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Nuts are really good because they are high in calories.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    try more protein, bars, shakes, etc. Those are great for getting in your calories while still being healthy.
  • MicahandMegan
    Options
    Cody d18 is there any other options besides oatmeal for breakfast i despise it!!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    First I would want to make sure the calorie count is correct along with the portion sizes. If that is all good, then increase the portion size on the protein portion of the meal. 3oz of chicken instead of 1/2 of 3oz.

More veggies with the protein, some meals had no veggies. You have to have protein, fiber and your water and try to stay above 1200 calories. Your body needs fuel to burn otherwise it holds on and/or burns muscle.

Just keep trying til you find the right combo that works for you!
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options
    Yes What Cody Said,
    Nuts are where it's at
    I also say 6 triscuits 120 Calories and a great sour of potassium.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Some people will blast me for this, but you could eat cheerios instead of oatmeal if you'd like ;)
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I would also add it depends on what you like to eat. I would add toast and/ or fruit at breakfast, more meat and add cheese with salads, but that is me and I love those items. :wink: Think about what you like and don't be afraid to eat it.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow, yeah, you just need to eat more during all meals. For breakfast add a 8 oz glass of milk or juice and a cookie or something with some calories. For lunch add larger portions and more sides. Dinner same thing. Just add glasses of milk or juice to every meal and it's extremely healthy and will add 400-500 calories per day just for that.
  • MicahandMegan
    Options
    All these suggestions are great thanks!!! I do have another ? will the extra calorie meals that are higher in sugar prohibit my weight loss??
  • jmbpulido
    jmbpulido Posts: 3
    Options
    up your protein and healthy carb.