Anyone trying to gain muscle and lose body fat.

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you think you can build more muscle than a body builder on gear in a week, I've got some stuff to sell you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Beginners, obese people and people returning to fitness after time off can build some mass while losing fat. People who have been lifting for a while might build a little, but at a much slower rate. The faster you lose the fat the less likely you are to build lean mass and the more likely you are to lose it.

It doesn't matter how clean you eat or even if you ate mostly protein, losing weight fast will result in loss of muscle.
  • HeathCothren51
    HeathCothren51 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you think you can build more muscle than a body builder on gear in a week, I've got some stuff to sell you.

lol I didn't say more muscle just said muscle. How else you explain 30lbs of fat lost in two months, loss of inches in the waist. Gaining inches in all the right places increased my max and mass. Now my trainer is a bodybuilder and does all the shows and is going 100% for size yes its not the same increase. Don't be so negative bro.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

lol no kidding!
  • irissyang
    irissyang Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    would love to join!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

lol I didn't say more muscle just said muscle. How else you explain 30lbs of fat lost in two months, loss of inches in the waist. Gaining inches in all the right places increased my max and mass. Now my trainer is a bodybuilder and does all the shows and is going 100% for size yes its not the same increase. Don't be so negative bro.

Cool story, bro.

There are so many people here going to be interested in this magical spot reducing method, that allows you to add mass where you want it and lose it where you don't. You are genetically predisposed to lose in your gut first. Other people will lose from other areas first. And all the massive mass you've added? Tell us the specific numbers, plz. Just because your maxes increase doesn't mean your mass has.

Did your super deluxe trainer measure your body fat? Not that number would be 100% accurate anyway, but the difference from start to now would be your actual fat loss. That 30 pounds? It wasn't all fat, bro I don't care if all you ate was chicken.

• HeathCothren51
    Options
    B4 33% body fat 23% body fat. I weighed 260.9lbs and now weigh 230.8 that is a couple pounds of muscle gain.
  • HeathCothren51
    Options
    Look y'all need quit worrying about other people. Start worrying about your selves this is suppose to be a support web site I am not claiming to be a know it all just learning as I go.
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good luck gaining muscle while losing 4 lbs a week. Recomp is much, much slower than that.

And this is what I'm wondering about. I want to lose weight (fat). I want to gain muscle. Not so sure I can do both efficiently at the same time. I do some weight training, but at this point, I would think that I need to focus more on the fat loss part of things and then attempt to put on muscle once I'm at or close to my goal weight.
  • HeathCothren51
    Options
    I was told the best way to lose body fat was to eat clean, eat often , and try to have about 30 min at least of high heart rate cardio a day try for in the morning when I do cardio I try to keep my heart rate around 160
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was told the best way to lose body fat was to eat clean, eat often , and try to have about 30 min at least of high heart rate cardio a day try for in the morning when I do cardio I try to keep my heart rate around 160
    You have been misinformed. In order to lose body fat, you need to create a caloric deficit. That's it. Cardio can help create this deficit and will absolutely improve cardiovascular conditioning, but it is not some magical key to fat loss, nor is "eating clean".

My best advice? Read. Read, read, and read some more!:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • usmcmp
    Options

That is a lot of the broscience that gets passed around the bodybuilding community. We're not here to hate on you or to discourage you. We want to share our years of experience in lifting, dieting and researching the science behind both.

If eating "clean" helps keep you on track there is nothing wrong with sticking to it. I personally feel deprived and choose to eat cookies, candy, ice cream or some other sweets daily. Not all people can limit their intake of those, so cutting them out is fine too. Cardio is a tool to help with fat loss. It will still come down to how much you are eating compared to how much your body is burning. Cardio is awesome for heart and lung function, which can translate over to lifting especially on higher volume programs.

It's great that you have lost a lot of fat and it's true that due to starting out in the obese category you probably gained some muscle. Don't get super hung up on the numbers because most methods of calculating body fat/lean mass are inaccurate.
  • AmyNFox
    AmyNFox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck gaining muscle while losing 4 lbs a week. Recomp is much, much slower than that.

And this is what I'm wondering about. I want to lose weight (fat). I want to gain muscle. Not so sure I can do both efficiently at the same time. I do some weight training, but at this point, I would think that I need to focus more on the fat loss part of things and then attempt to put on muscle once I'm at or close to my goal weight.

Really that's not the best way to go about it. You'll lost more fat by lifting heavy weight often. Cardio doesn't just burn fat, it burns your lean muscle too. Plus by building muscle with weight training you'll be burning more calories with the extra muscle you have. The only cardio you should be doing right now is high intensity intervals that spike your heart rate.
    This is a really common mistake. And honestly most of my clients come to me because "they've been doing hours of cardio and haven't seen any changes". 2 weeks of good nutrition and weight lifting and almost all of them have lost body fat while maintaining muscle mass.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    AmyNFox wrote: »

Really that's not the best way to go about it. You'll lost more fat by lifting heavy weight often. Cardio doesn't just burn fat, it burns your lean muscle too. Plus by building muscle with weight training you'll be burning more calories with the extra muscle you have. The only cardio you should be doing right now is high intensity intervals that spike your heart rate.
    This is a really common mistake. And honestly most of my clients come to me because "they've been doing hours of cardio and haven't seen any changes". 2 weeks of good nutrition and weight lifting and almost all of them have lost body fat while maintaining muscle mass.

This seems to be the bro science thread!
    Cardio (which covers a huge range of course) doesn't burn muscle - it's not a preferred energy source.
    Adding a pound of muscle will burn about an extra 6 or 7 calories a day.
    HIIT isn't magic and isn't appropriate for everyone and neither should most people solely do HIIT.
  • Lisa_Ziegler
    Lisa_Ziegler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would love to join. I am trying to get more defined muscle for arms, legs, and tummy. Not sure what workouts to do to get there.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    No. I am trying to gain fat and lose muscle.
  • michellepatonn
    michellepatonn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do the same! Just started about a week ago. Add me if you'd like :)
  • usmcmp
    Options

It's an article with no studies or other references, so it's far from scientific. I've explained that obese people or people new to lifting will gain some lean mass. Once you get beyond that any additional mass will be very slow while dieting if you gain any at all. You're more likely to lose mass with rapid fat loss.

I understand it's hard when people come in to try to tell you that what you know is incorrect, but we're trying to help.
  • dbrook1967
    dbrook1967 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When you get to a certain point in weight loss and muscle gain it's like you hit a brick wall. The last bit of body fat will only come off if you (talking about me) are very disciplined. You have to go lean meat/protein, no sugar or fat, eat green veggies and good carbs. You need to cycle carbs out on off days. And you have to get enough nutrition to stay full and gain or not lose muscle. A lot of chicken, lean beef, white fish, egg whites, broccoli, asparagus, sweet potatoes, long grain rice and no cheats, no processed foods.
    On the flip side you need calories and carbs to build muscle.
    And High Intensity Interval Training is what a lot of the experts are talking about in training. Say a 30 second sprint and a 30 second walk and repeat 30 times. Many options here as long as it's high intensity followed by some low intensity. Mix it up with some steady state cardio as well.