Do I have to eat if I'm not hungry?

Options
I've only had around 850 calories today but I eat 1200 everyday (and yes I do weigh all my food with a food scale and I choose the correct entries, definitely 850). My question is on days like today where I'm not really hungry, should I force myself to eat 1200 calories or not?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I would, it's good to get in the habit of eating a healthy amount. You can lose a significant amount of muscle if not eating enough.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    If it's a once-off, just bank the calories and eat the 350 calories on another day when you are hungry. If it's happening regularly, look at introducing some low-volume, high calorie foods (oil, juice)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Only eat when you are hungry (but never over eat)
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I say only if you are hungry.. however... a nice banana split sundae would make me hungry.. lol
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    If it's a once-off, just bank the calories and eat the 350 calories on another day when you are hungry. If it's happening regularly, look at introducing some low-volume, high calorie foods (oil, juice)

This.

Consistently eating too little can lead to excessive muscle loss, hair loss, brittle nails and a bunch of other health issues over time.

But if it's a day here or there, don't stress out about it.

~Lyssa
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Did you eat a lot yesterday? Or go out drinking? These are two things that will make me eat less the next day.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you are still overweight, don't sweat it. You have plenty of energy stores that will prevent short-term energy shortages. The trick is what to do when the 2,000 are already down the hatch and you are starving. Also remember that all the talk about arresting your metabolism by putting it in "starvation mode" is 95% bunk.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The other thing to think about is what if you later get hungry and its not at a convenient time to eat. Another idea, you might go for quicker (and maybe not as ideal) of choices if you wait.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't. Maybe I should, but I am overcoming such an unhealthy relationship with food, that I am trying to relearn that if you need fuel, you will be hungry.... Also I am trying to learn the levels of hunger, so I don't eat when I am thirsty and/or upset...