My calories have gone up???

Options
Hi I've been eating 1300 calories a day and I've managed to slowly loose 3 stone 5 pound so far. But to get to my target weight my calories have gone up to 1600 a day. Does anyone have any idea why this is? I assumed the more calories I eat the less I loose?

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    MFP increases calories with activity automatically.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Better then lowering them like they did me
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    lou759 wrote: »
    Hi I've been eating 1300 calories a day and I've managed to slowly loose 3 stone 5 pound so far. But to get to my target weight my calories have gone up to 1600 a day. Does anyone have any idea why this is? I assumed the more calories I eat the less I loose?

I have heard from a few people that their calorie goals have suddenly changed, both up and down for no reason. If you did not change anything else, such as activity level and are happy with the rate at which you are losing weight then I would manually change them back to where they were
  • lou759
    lou759 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. So if I start to eat the 1600 calories would I still loose weight?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. So if I start to eat the 1600 calories would I still loose weight?

Yes, as your deficit is already built in.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Check your settings and make sure everything is correct: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Not necessarily. That would depend on what you weigh now, how old you are and how active. It makes no sense whatsoever that AFTER losing weight, your target would go up. Should be the opposite. The less you weigh, the less you can eat either to maintain that weight or loose more.

For example, a 300 lb., 5' 5", 40 year old sedentary woman could eat 2,600 calories a day and still loose a pound per week. The same woman at 150 lbs. would have to cut her intake to 1,100 calories per day to achieve the same goal. See—there is a silver lining in being overweight :).
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your loss rate? If you have changed your settings from wanting to lose 2lbs a week to 1lbs a week your calorie goal will go up. It's still enough to lose the weight, just not as quick.
  • lou759
    Options
    No I've not changed anything. Is still at to loose 2lb a week. This is what's confused me
  • lou759
    Options
    The only thing I've changed is to loose another 2 stone because I was 1 stone off my target weight now and I feel like I could loose it so why not.that would then be a total of 6 stone 5 pound which is what I need to loose for my height/age.
  • lou759
    Options
    Should I lower it back down to 1300 do you all think?