Knee Sleeves for people with joint issues.

Options
I've tried a plethora from "Doctor recommended" open patella style to, Rehbands, knock off Rehbands, to Knock Off SBDs and regular SBDs. I lost one of my Rehbands while walking back from the gym and I've been using the SBDs full time. After a while I noticed my ROM seemed to get worse and most recently my knee has been giving me problems. I realized that because the SBD's hug my calves so tightly it didn't allow for natural ankle and knee mobility.

I think joint support whether it come from a supplement or equipment is something that some people should look into especially if you've been overweight and want to make fitness a life long lifestyle. Fitness should increase your quality of life, but that doesn't mean that exercise is 100% stress free on the body. I have genetically bad knees I've had surgery on both and would never wish anyone any unnecessary injury. This is especially true for those who've made resolutions to pledge to live a healthier "fitter" 2016.

How many of you have invested in preventative health equipment? I pretend I'm a powerlifter, so I have different shoes, belts, sleeves, and wraps.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i have bad knees . i make sure my knees are warmed up before lifting, and i use a tight fitted extra strong sleeve from Elite FTS only when i squat and DL, take them off for everything else. i have knee wraps that i only use when i'm squatting near my 1 rm. they aren't really a preventative health thing they are a strength enhancing thing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Warchortle wrote: »
    I've tried a plethora from "Doctor recommended" open patella style to, Rehbands, knock off Rehbands, to Knock Off SBDs and regular SBDs. I lost one of my Rehbands while walking back from the gym and I've been using the SBDs full time. After a while I noticed my ROM seemed to get worse and most recently my knee has been giving me problems. I realized that because the SBD's hug my calves so tightly it didn't allow for natural ankle and knee mobility.

I think joint support whether it come from a supplement or equipment is something that some people should look into especially if you've been overweight and want to make fitness a life long lifestyle. Fitness should increase your quality of life, but that doesn't mean that exercise is 100% stress free on the body. I have genetically bad knees I've had surgery on both and would never wish anyone any unnecessary injury. This is especially true for those who've made resolutions to pledge to live a healthier "fitter" 2016.

How many of you have invested in preventative health equipment? I pretend I'm a powerlifter, so I have different shoes, belts, sleeves, and wraps.

I literally had to buy one of those rubbermaid organizers to fit all of my lifting gear. Multiple sets of knee sleeves, knee wraps, elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, compression cuffs for arms and legs, compression pants/underwear/shirts, deadlift socks/shin protectors, on and on and on and on. Even bought some squat briefs and pants for giggles (didn't like them).
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just got a set of tony komo knee sleeves and EliteFTS elbow sleeves. I have somehow already lost one of the elbow sleeves but I bought them a size too small anyway so I'll just get the right size now.

Anyway, only having used the TK sleeves 3 times now I gotta say I like them so far. Keep my knees nice and warm and plenty of blood there. I take them off when I'm done with squats, rinse them off and they're dry by the time I'm ready to leave.

The only thing I don't like is putting them on as my legs are fairly hirsute and its not a pain free process. lol

I liked the elbow sleeves too and am sad panda that I lost one already.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i have bad knees . i make sure my knees are warmed up before lifting, and i use a tight fitted extra strong sleeve from Elite FTS only when i squat and DL, take them off for everything else. i have knee wraps that i only use when i'm squatting near my 1 rm. they aren't really a preventative health thing they are a strength enhancing thing.

I think knee wraps are a bit of both. They do add a small amount of spring out of the hole, but you do get the benefit of having the extra support around your patella.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

I literally had to buy one of those rubbermaid organizers to fit all of my lifting gear. Multiple sets of knee sleeves, knee wraps, elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, compression cuffs for arms and legs, compression pants/underwear/shirts, deadlift socks/shin protectors, on and on and on and on. Even bought some squat briefs and pants for giggles (didn't like them).

I have yet to get to elbow sleeves, but I did notice for the first time ever elbow pain. I'll chalk it up to perhaps overly tight forearms than tendinitis... hopefully.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »
    I just got a set of tony komo knee sleeves and EliteFTS elbow sleeves. I have somehow already lost one of the elbow sleeves but I bought them a size too small anyway so I'll just get the right size now.

Anyway, only having used the TK sleeves 3 times now I gotta say I like them so far. Keep my knees nice and warm and plenty of blood there. I take them off when I'm done with squats, rinse them off and they're dry by the time I'm ready to leave.

The only thing I don't like is putting them on as my legs are fairly hirsute and its not a pain free process. lol

I liked the elbow sleeves too and am sad panda that I lost one already.

Losing pairs of things = the worst.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Apparently it was hiding in my gym bag the whole time. I don't know how as I was SURE I emptied the sucker and its not that big. Oh well, no complaints that its found! lol
  • Warchortle
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »

Apparently it was hiding in my gym bag the whole time. I don't know how as I was SURE I emptied the sucker and its not that big. Oh well, no complaints that its found! lol

Dats it mang... dats it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I personally would not use a brace/support without a doctor's recommendation (i.e., the doctor physically examines me and recommends the support, not something "doctor recommended" from Amazon or the supercenter) for pain. What is the root cause of the pain? Is the brace helping or ultimately making things worse?

Wraps, etc for heavy lifts, etc would be an exception IMO
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Dealing with clients who have issues with knees is a daily thing for me. Usually it's because of a weight issue, but I've done lots of stuff with former athletes, runners and heavy lifters. Especially when it comes to weight lifting, as you age, you need to try to stay within your limits of what your joints can handle. If you're having to do extra wrapping and sleeves ALL the time, then you either need to objectively look at your program to decide what your main goal is and/or realize that eventually you'll have to reduce your loads. I know do to the fact that as I age, my strength has slowly diminished and weighing 200lbs will be a burden in about 10 years at my height. So reassess and make sure it's a program you can do for the long haul.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I have yet to get to elbow sleeves, but I did notice for the first time ever elbow pain. I'll chalk it up to perhaps overly tight forearms than tendinitis... hopefully.

I have tendonitis in both elbows so sleeves and cuffs have been a life-saver for me.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have loose tendons everywhere (from EDS), so I'm big into support, yep. Folks thought I was a hypochondriac as a kid, but now I see everyone enjoying a little extra support, lol. Nice.

It might just be my weird tendons, but I find that rest is often necessary for tendinitis, so watch using support in place of rest, because that can lead to very bad things. I usually use the support to avoid the strained tendon, etc, in the first place and have to treat it much differently once it gets painful.
  • Warchortle
    Options

I have tendonitis in both elbows so sleeves and cuffs have been a life-saver for me.

The only tendinitis I started to get was from typing too much thankfully.. then I stopped playing Starcraft and it went away.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

The only tendinitis I started to get was from typing too much thankfully.. then I stopped playing Starcraft and it went away.

Keyboarding on a computer and/or phone will eff up your shoulders and hands big time over time. I've worked in accounting for 35 years (had a computer on my desk for almost all that time) and have had both thumb joints replaced and 6 shoulder operations. My surgeon said the long term keyboarding/poor posture (I'm taller and most standard desks don't really fit me) was a big contributor.

Said give him 10 more years the way we are going and he could make his whole living off thumb joint replacements.
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My husband swears by Tommy Copper knee sleeves and the 2XU compression clothes. I didn't see much difference.

That said, plenty of knee/joint issues here. Warming up is key. I do elliptical at fairly low resistance for a good 10-15 minutes until the knee feels like it's going freely. If it's leg day I stop - if arms I speed up and throw in interval sprints for a bit.

I find putting Icy Hot on before working out helps get the joint warmed up/mitigate some of the pain. YMMV.

Also a preworkout NSAID about 30 minutes beforehand helps get in there. I've been doing that since my dance years and again YMMV.

All of that said, listen to your body. I know I need to practice what I preach sometimes (*laugh*), but having different bracing options is good. You should go to an orthopedist, though, if the problems are bad enough. I know I have a patellar J brace which is horribly constricting, but it keeps the kneecap going in the correct direction and I use it when it's really bad in there. Also, PT might teach you to do taping, which also helps.

For after workouts I have a TENS unit; however, if I didn't I'd use those Icy Hot TENS patches. When I was waiting for a replacement part I used those around my knee and WOW. TENS can hurt for a bit, but the area feels so much better afterwards. I zap it for a while and then ice if there's any swelling.

Summarizing (sorry, get long winded sometimes) - listen to your body, take some measures before and after, and go to an ortho for some tips/tricks/suggestions.