Any tips for a stay at home mom ??

Options
2»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You're not in a bind. You don't *have to* go outside; you've stated that working out isn't a problem.

Is your calorie goal too aggressive? Are you bored? Do you keep a lot of tempting food in the house? Is mindless snacking a habit?

There are lots of creative ways to work around ruts (if you feel you're in one.) Ultimately it comes down to making what you truly desire a priority. So get crackin'.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    You're not in a bind. You don't *have to* go outside; you've stated that working out isn't a problem.

Is your calorie goal too aggressive? Are you bored? Do you keep a lot of tempting food in the house? Is mindless snacking a habit?

There are lots of creative ways to work around ruts (if you feel you're in one.) Ultimately it comes down to making what you truly desire a priority. So get crackin'.

Yes, this!
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    SAHM here also! Definitely reduce the items that you tend to snack on the most. Replace them with healthier options. I use to have homemade baked goods on hand constantly, ice cream, candy bars etc. (huge sweet tooth). I stopped baking and buying those things. I replaced them with fruit and yogurt. Once I was able to control my snacking I reintroduced those items back into my diet, I just eat them a lot less. Plus I still eat my fruit and yogurt so now I have tons of options. Also, keep your hands busy! I love to crochet, read, play with my kids and play on my phone lol. It does take some will power :) good luck!
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a SAHM but I work from home looking after a 4yr old, 2x 2yr olds and a 14month old. I find some days I want to snack more than others so l made up some low cal snack packs that I could have when kids have morning tea. I also try to make sure I eat plenty of protein. My downfall is the multiple cups of coffee I tend to drink.
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm most definitely not a mum, but i'm a student with very little spare time for going out walking or to the gym. I've just downloaded a bunch of 7-minute-workouts on my phone. They're completely free and people seem to be getting good results so i'm gonna give them a try ^^
  • mrsnazario1219
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    I'm not exactly a SAHM but I work from home looking after a 4yr old, 2x 2yr olds and a 14month old. I find some days I want to snack more than others so l made up some low cal snack packs that I could have when kids have morning tea. I also try to make sure I eat plenty of protein. My downfall is the multiple cups of coffee I tend to drink.

Kids have morning tea?? This is so awesome to me. I'm assuming you're British? The image that pops into my head are toddlers dressed in big hats and pretty dress with there pinky up lol. I'm sorry, I swear I wish I were British. If only to track down Robert Pattinson lol.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I only work in the evenings and I'm home with four kids during the day. I actually find I do way better at home with food than at work! At home I plan out my meals and snacks well. Keep track of my macros. Cook something healthy. At work there's always junk food sitting around and I'm busy and just need to grab something in between sessions. I think it's the planning that makes my day easier at home. I log as I go throughout the day so I know how many calories I have.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Have you considered an intermittent fasting sort of approach? I'm a SAHM of 4, and when I'm trying to lose weight, I will typically drink coffee and water (flavored with low-calorie drink mix packets) until I'm really, truly HUNGRY. Sometimes I'm starving when I wake up and will have something small (graham cracker, half a banana--just enough to take the edge off and give me a pre-workout boost). I can usually hold off until early afternoon, and I am able to actually enjoy my late lunch during the kids' quiet time. With a later lunch, I'm not as hungry at dinner time (saves calories), and I usually eat my snacks after the kids are in bed...when I can enjoy them and not have to share, lol. Having a big container of pre-made salad in the fridge is helpful, as is a bowl of fresh fruit on the counter.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Work out when you most feel like snacking, is it after the kids have gone to bed and your too tired to do housework and too restless to watch tv? A hobby such as doing puzzles keeps those hands busy. Crocheting you can do while watching tv. I guess what I am getting at is is boredom/habit or actual hunger. Yes I am sure there's always something else 'more productive' you could be doing such as folding washing but finding something you like to relax doing is a reward for all your effort.

BTW I find folding washing while watching TV, taking small piles at a time to where they belong is a great way to add extra steps to your day.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I work from home PT and I also am a SAHM. I found that making a schedule for my little one as well as myself really helped me to stop grazing. I plan my meals and snacks. I tend to keep a lot of fruits and vegetables readily available too. It's certainly not easy, but you can do it!
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Kids have morning tea?? This is so awesome to me. I'm assuming you're British? The image that pops into my head are toddlers dressed in big hats and pretty dress with there pinky up lol. I'm sorry, I swear I wish I were British. If only to track down Robert Pattinson lol.[/quote]

Not British, NZer. Yes the kids have their own child sized table and chairs and we have a snack and drink together around 10am. Helps with setting routines and means I don't end up with hangry kids. And helps promote healthy/safe eating practices.
  • mrsnazario1219
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    Kids have morning tea?? This is so awesome to me. I'm assuming you're British? The image that pops into my head are toddlers dressed in big hats and pretty dress with there pinky up lol. I'm sorry, I swear I wish I were British. If only to track down Robert Pattinson lol.

Not British, NZer. Yes the kids have their own child sized table and chairs and we have a snack and drink together around 10am. Helps with setting routines and means I don't end up with hangry kids. And helps promote healthy/safe eating practices.
    [/quote]

Ah ok! We just call that snack time around these parts :)
  • ChampagneLaughter495
    Options
    I'm a sahm to a 10 month old.
    I got a treadmil and run on that every morning during naptime, and again in the late afternoon.
    I also quick buying a lot of unhealthy snacks and this food tracker has really helped me. It's almost obsessive for me. I have to do it and don't allow myself to go over.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I work full-time, but have a 21 month old... Could you find things to do outside the home, such as museums, libraries, play cafes?
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm mostly a SAHM to a 6mo. (I say mostly because I do *some* work out of the house.)

First off, I HATE HATE HATE structuring my day. It always just makes me feel antsy, anxious, and frustrated. I much prefer to play it by ear. I make lists of things that need to get done, but I don't ever plan out when they're going to get done anymore. There's just too much craziness going on around the house to know ahead of time when I'll be able to sit down and do something.

I do workouts with my baby. There's too much else that needs to happen during those precious naps, and it's really impractical and annoying to try and leave the house. Most of my exercise comes from yoga, so I'll do that with my daughter. I picked up a book called Baby Om that shows lots of poses you can do while holding your little one. When it's nice out, I'll go for walks with her and a neighbor who has a daughter about the same age. Other times, I'll hold her while I put on my favorite music and dance. I work up a really good sweat that way.

As for cutting down on snacking, I always ask myself if I'm really hungry, or if I'm just tempted by things in the kitchen. If it's the latter, I make tea. Bigelow has this awesome vanilla caramel tea that's so satisfying. If I'm actually hungry, it's usually time for a meal.
  • meshaffer
    meshaffer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get some weights. When I sit down at night after E has gone to bed, I usually do an upper body/lower body stuff. On some days that I can't get out of the house, I will at least walk around the house, or march in place for a period of time. i agree about planning out your meals and snacks. The more you plan, the easier it is.