Starting a loose vegan diet, having trouble with nutrition

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    cpalumbo89 wrote: »
    In addition to eggs and seafood, pescatarians can use beans, grains, and vegetables to meet their calcium, iron, and protein needs. I'm vegan and I get iron from beans, nuts, molasses, and enriched grain products (like bagels), I get calcium from fortified plant milks, greens, and tofu, and I get protein from beans, grains, vegetables, tofu, tempeh, and seitan.

Molasses ok that's interesting I'll definitely have to try to use that.

Blackstrap molasses is higher in iron, and lower in sugar and taste. I use http://www.iherb.com/Wholesome-Sweeteners-Inc-Organic-Molasses-Unsulphured-32-fl-oz-944-ml/34616
  • Burnabychick2014
    Burnabychick2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I Recommend Ginny Messina's theveganrd.com Her page provides short & easy to follow vegan nutrition primers that may answer some of your questions.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree with holohuroidea - every little bit helps. Don't get discouraged. Eating fish and eggs now and then is better than going back to the Standard American Diet any day of the week.

I aim for 95% vegan (screw you haters) and had the same issues as you did. I did the following.
    1) Take a vegan multivitamin. has 100% of iron in it and also b12 if you ever cut out fish/eggs. I think I get a 2 pack from amazon for like $10 and lasts forever.
    2) Take calcium carbonate aka tums. Mine are like $3 for 300 tabs on amazon subscribe and save. and they taste good
    3) I eat a protein shake. Every day. Every. Day. EVERY DAY. I order my protein powder from true nutrition and they have like 30 different flavors you can get. I usually concoct a soy/pea/rice custom mix to ensure a complete protein. But I will probably cut out soy the next time I order. I like vanilla flavor, anything with the word "cream" in it, and orange cream is especially good.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AceofIvies wrote: »
    I agree with holohuroidea - every little bit helps. Don't get discouraged. Eating fish and eggs now and then is better than going back to the Standard American Diet any day of the week.

I aim for 95% vegan (screw you haters) and had the same issues as you did. I did the following.
    1) Take a vegan multivitamin. has 100% of iron in it and also b12 if you ever cut out fish/eggs. I think I get a 2 pack from amazon for like $10 and lasts forever.
    2) Take calcium carbonate aka tums. Mine are like $3 for 300 tabs on amazon subscribe and save. and they taste good
    3) I eat a protein shake. Every day. Every. Day. EVERY DAY. I order my protein powder from true nutrition and they have like 30 different flavors you can get. I usually concoct a soy/pea/rice custom mix to ensure a complete protein. But I will probably cut out soy the next time I order. I like vanilla flavor, anything with the word "cream" in it, and orange cream is especially good.

Veganism is an ethical position against unnecessary animal exploitation. I think it's wonderful that you're reducing the amount of animal products in your diet. But you can't be 95% percent against unnecessary animal exploitation and 5% for it.

This has nothing to do with "haters." It has to do with what the word means.

Please don't participate in degrading the meaning of the only word that we have to describe opposition to unnecessary animal exploitation. If you are okay with using animals unnecessarily 5% of the time, please consider using "plant-based diet" to describe your lifestyle.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Veganism is an ethical position against unnecessary animal exploitation. I think it's wonderful that you're reducing the amount of animal products in your diet. But you can't be 95% percent against unnecessary animal exploitation and 5% for it.

Please don't participate in degrading the meaning of the only word that we have to describe opposition to unnecessary animal exploitation. If you are okay with using animals unnecessarily 5% of the time, please consider using "plant-based diet" to describe your lifestyle.

Personally, I find it super annoying that someone like Freelee the racist-classist and compassionate-to-humans-only-rarely banana girl gets ownership of the word vegan because she eats 100% bananas or whatever but someone like me who is ethically vegan but also acknowledges and tries to incorporate more than one level of ethics into their diet/lifestyle and therefore eats 90% vegan does not just because some people don't understand how that could possibly work.

I mean, I get it. I do not describe myself as vegan specifically in solidarity to the vegan community even though it would make my life a lot easier to just use the word. But when someone who is clearly new to the idea specifically describes themselves as "partially vegan" or "loosely vegan," what good does it do to bring the hammer of word-ownership down upon them? How is that helpful to people who are new to veganism and are trying their best? How does that help the animals?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Personally, I find it super annoying that someone like Freelee the racist-classist and compassionate-to-humans-only-rarely banana girl gets ownership of the word vegan because she eats 100% bananas or whatever but someone like me who is ethically vegan but also acknowledges and tries to incorporate more than one level of ethics into their diet/lifestyle and therefore eats 90% vegan does not just because some people don't understand how that could possibly work.

I mean, I get it. I do not describe myself as vegan specifically in solidarity to the vegan community even though it would make my life a lot easier to just use the word. But when someone who is clearly new to the idea specifically describes themselves as "partially vegan" or "loosely vegan," what good does it do to bring the hammer of word-ownership down upon them? How is that helpful to people who are new to veganism and are trying their best? How does that help the animals?

I'm not clear how an ethical vegan would choose to consume animal products unnecessarily 10% of the time, but I'm hoping you will share more context of your situation with me. I'm not ceding "ownership" of the term vegan to Freelee, as I disagree with her position and I think she is actively doing harm to veganism.

I appreciate that you are not using "vegan" to describe yourself if you are choosing to use animals. I don't want to make things difficult for people who are newer to the concept of veganism. Help me understand where you're coming from.

My position right now: someone who is choosing to exploit animals unnecessarily 5% of the time is probably doing much better than the "standard Westerner" and I appreciate that. But it isn't veganism and I think it's okay to say that.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Big_Jim_86 wrote: »
    but beans and nuts are all full of the nutrients you are trying to add, if they aren't already a part of your diet.
    And packed with fat :(

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    it's 2016. why do we insist on putting labels on ourselves?

in all seriousness though, i wouldn't use the term "loosely vegan" at all. if you really want to describe your eating habits specifically, i'd say "i avoid meat and most dairy, but eat seafood occasionally."

I just thought it was easier then saying all that ^^

"I'm eating loosely as a vegan, but with eggs and occasionally seafood" = 12 words
    "i avoid meat and dairy, but eat eggs and seafood occasionally" = 11 words*

Shorter, clearer, and less risk of offending or confusing anyone.

* edited from above poster to reflect what OP actually says she does
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Calcium- The problem with calcium for vegans is getting it in volume. Try making a habit of choosing calcium rich options, like almonds instead of cashews and dried figs instead of bananas. Drink plant milks, and make sure they're fortified with calcium. This is important because they are usually also fortified with iron and b12 (other hard to get nutrients). If you want to eat fish, eat sardines. They come with the bones in and are loaded with calcium.

Iron- Make sure you get legumes and dark leafy greens with at least half of your meals, and eat them with a good source of vitamin c because non-heme (plant) iron is harder for your body to absorb than heme (animal) iron. Choose plant milks (soy, almond, etc) and grain products (pasta, bread, cereal etc) that are fortified with iron.

Protein- Firstly, most people's expectations for protein are too high. It should take up about 10-35% of your calories. Most people eating a deficit are fine with 15%. If you are pregnant, nursing or doing a rigorous strength training program it will need to be higher. Usually when vegans don't get enough protein it's because they're sacrificing nutritious food for junk food while restricting calories. So if you're eating 1200 calories a day as a vegan, you're probably not going to be able to fit in things like soda, candy, or margarine on a daily basis.

Not all sardines come packed with their bones (they are also sold as fillets), so read the labels. You can also find salmon packed with their bones. In both cases the bones are pretty soft, but if you make the salmon into salmon cakes and cook them, they're even less noticeable.
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited January 2016
    Options
    but beans and nuts are all full of the nutrients you are trying to add, if they aren't already a part of your diet.

1) There's hardly any fat in beans.
    2) If the OP isn't eating dairy or meat, it's quite possible she's not getting that much fat anyway--those are major sources of fat in a lot of people's diets.
    3) What's wrong with fat? Your body needs fat for a host of functions, including being able to use fat-soluble vitamins.

On the debate over using the word vegan, I am not vegan, but I think one practical reason it's bad to misuse it is that it makes it harder for actual vegans to get food that fits their dietary requirements. If they go into a restaurant and ask about some dish that sounds plant-based, it's a lot easier to say "is it vegan?" than "does it contain any animal products? Any meat? Any poultry? Any seafood? Any dairy products? No cheese? No eggs? No honey?" which is what they have to do if other people confuse the issue by appropriating it to describer other ways of eating.

It seems similar to people who claim they can't eat something "because they're allergic," when they're not, and then when other people see them accidentally or intentionally consume something with the supposed allergen in it, and have no reaction, they think, "oh, this allergy stuff isn't that big a deal," and then next thing you know they're sending someone into anaphylactic shock because they don't believe allergies are serious so they give them something they shouldn't.

Edited because I ended up with a whole bunch of repeated quotes for some reason.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Word-ownership? One poster was a smart aleck but the rest who addressed the OP's misuse of the word vegan were simply correcting her.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I'm eating loosely as a vegan, but with eggs and occasionally seafood, as an experiment. I feel good, but keep coming up short on calcium, iron and protein. Any suggestions? My calorie limit is 1560 but I usually hang out between 1250-1400
    Reduce bread, rice, pasta, and fruits in order to fit in more protein: lentils, black beans, broccoli, yellow squash, chic peas, hemp seeds, chia seeds, pinto beans, tofu.
    Here are good bean recipes:
    http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2014/12/50-awesome-vegan-black-bean-recipes.html
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but you are not Vegan and nor are you Vegetarian. People who claim they are either Vegan or Veggie then eat flesh cause confusion in restaurants & problems for people who actually are vegan or Veggie. I've been caught out more than once by food marked on the menu as suitable, but when it arrived at the table it had fish/shellfish in it. Please stop.

A good multivitamin tablet daily should sort out your iron worries. Tho eating plenty of leafy greens would be better. Calcium is in dairy, or supplements are easily available. Protein is in nuts, beans, Quorn products and eggs.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

1) There's hardly any fat in beans.
    2) If the OP isn't eating dairy or meat, it's quite possible she's not getting that much fat anyway--those are major sources of fat in a lot of people's diets.
    3) What's wrong with fat? Your body needs fat for a host of functions, including being able to use fat-soluble vitamins.

On the debate over using the word vegan, I am not vegan, but I think one practical reason it's bad to misuse it is that it makes it harder for actual vegans to get food that fits their dietary requirements. If they go into a restaurant and ask about some dish that sounds plant-based, it's a lot easier to say "is it vegan?" than "does it contain any animal products? Any meat? Any poultry? Any seafood? Any dairy products? No cheese? No eggs? No honey?" which is what they have to do if other people confuse the issue by appropriating it to describer other ways of eating.

It seems similar to people who claim they can't eat something "because they're allergic," when they're not, and then when other people see them accidentally or intentionally consume something with the supposed allergen in it, and have no reaction, they think, "oh, this allergy stuff isn't that big a deal," and then next thing you know they're sending someone into anaphylactic shock because they don't believe allergies are serious so they give them something they shouldn't.

Edited because I ended up with a whole bunch of repeated quotes for some reason.

I purchased a frozen meal the other day because it said "vegan" on it (I was in a rush, usually I read labels closely) and when I brought it back to my hotel room, I read the ingredients and saw it had honey. So yes, this is a real problem for vegans. Obviously it doesn't have the serious health consequences that exist for someone with an allergy, but it does make it just that much harder.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Word-ownership? One poster was a smart aleck but the rest who addressed the OP's misuse of the word vegan were simply correcting her.

Of the 35 posts so far in this thread, 6 of them have made an effort to answer the OP's question without criticizing her post or "correcting" her. (I do not think they are correct, by the way, which was the point of my post.)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Of the 35 posts so far in this thread, 6 of them have made an effort to answer the OP's question without criticizing her post or "correcting" her. (I do not think they are correct, by the way, which was the point of my post.)

How is it "incorrect" to maintain that vegans will avoid unnecessary animal exploitation and that one who chooses to exploit animals unecessarily isn't vegan?
  • holothuroidea
    Options

I'm not clear how an ethical vegan would choose to consume animal products unnecessarily 10% of the time, but I'm hoping you will share more context of your situation with me. I'm not ceding "ownership" of the term vegan to Freelee, as I disagree with her position and I think she is actively doing harm to veganism.

I appreciate that you are not using "vegan" to describe yourself if you are choosing to use animals. I don't want to make things difficult for people who are newer to the concept of veganism. Help me understand where you're coming from.

My position right now: someone who is choosing to exploit animals unnecessarily 5% of the time is probably doing much better than the "standard Westerner" and I appreciate that. But it isn't veganism and I think it's okay to say that.

I'm certainly open to sharing more of my experience with you, my inbox is open.

She did not make any claims of veganism. She was merely trying to describe her diet, and I think she did a fine job. We all knew what she meant. What is the point of telling her she can't use the word vegan other than to say, in as many words, "you can't sit here"?
  • janejellyroll
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'm certainly open to sharing more of my experience with you, my inbox is open.

She did not make any claims of veganism. She was merely trying to describe her diet, and I think she did a fine job. We all knew what she meant. What is the point of telling her she can't use the word vegan other than to say, in as many words, "you can't sit here"?

I explained why I'm concerned with changing the meaning of "vegan" in my second post in the thread. If you didn't understand what I was saying about the value of having a word describing opposition to animal exploitation, let's talk about it.
  • holothuroidea
    Options

How is it "incorrect" to maintain that vegans will avoid unnecessary animal exploitation and that one who chooses to exploit animals unecessarily isn't vegan?

You're assuming that she's making an active and informed choice to partake in "unnecessary animal exploitation" and willingly using the word "vegan" to describe herself anyway.

That is an unfair assumption to make. You do not know how well informed she is, you do not know whether there are aspects of her lifestyle that make avoidance of animal products difficult or impossible.

It is incorrect to tell a person, who is not familiar with the vegan community and is making absolutely no claims of veganism, that they cannot use the word vegan at all to describe their meals or the direction they are trying to go in just because we do not fully understand the complexity of their situation.