Feeling so much better all-around & health issues resolving; why do doctors not 'tell' you to lose+

Options
weight..?
For years, I had a few health issues, which have greatly subsided since dropping 40 lbs. I started at 271 and now weigh 231, with a lot more to go. But already I have loads more energy (which was a big complaint when I would see the doctor), my mood has improved (which also was an issue I often mentioned at the doctor) and my IBS issues, while not entirely gone, have greatly subsided. Stress, which was another complaint, has greatly subsided and things don't bother me like they used to, which again, was something I often mentioned at the doctorS..yes, I have seen 3 doctors over the years, trying to help me resolve my issues, and all they really did was play around with med's...Not one ever mentioned that HELLO, I was obese, and not one suggested that I lose weight. I guess they wanted to keep me coming back and prescribing more pills. :neutral:

I have never had a weight problem until I hit my mid-30's. And the health issues did not help, and then the weight crept on, which added greatly to my other issues. I am so glad that I grew up fit and healthy and worked out all through my 20's and early 30's, because I think that helped greatly in getting back to where I was once upon a time.. No, I know I will never have the body I did when I was 25, but it is getting much better and I am feeling much better, and that makes a huge difference..

But I have heard from others that for some reason, doctors don't like to discuss weight issues..is this true, or just something floating around created by skeptical and/or dissatisfied/angry/upset patients..? I even heard from someone that doctors are so afraid of lawsuits that they won't discuss weight issues with patients..that is really sad if true.. :neutral:

Just curious on others thoughts or any personal experiences on/with this at MFP. As I've said, this is not just my personal experience, I have heard others saying the same thing. :neutral:

Replies

• coachfeliciad
    coachfeliciad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    weight..?
    For years, I had a few health issues, which have greatly subsided since dropping 40 lbs. I started at 271 and now weigh 231, with a lot more to go. But already I have loads more energy (which was a big complaint when I would see the doctor), my mood has improved (which also was an issue I often mentioned at the doctor) and my IBS issues, while not entirely gone, have greatly subsided. Stress, which was another complaint, has greatly subsided and things don't bother me like they used to, which again, was something I often mentioned at the doctorS..yes, I have seen 3 doctors over the years, trying to help me resolve my issues, and all they really did was play around with med's...Not one ever mentioned that HELLO, I was obese, and not one suggested that I lose weight. I guess they wanted to keep me coming back and prescribing more pills. :neutral:

I have never had a weight problem until I hit my mid-30's. And the health issues did not help, and then the weight crept on, which added greatly to my other issues. I am so glad that I grew up fit and healthy and worked out all through my 20's and early 30's, because I think that helped greatly in getting back to where I was once upon a time.. No, I know I will never have the body I did when I was 25, but it is getting much better and I am feeling much better, and that makes a huge difference..

But I have heard from others that for some reason, doctors don't like to discuss weight issues..is this true, or just something floating around created by skeptical and/or dissatisfied/angry/upset patients..? I even heard from someone that doctors are so afraid of lawsuits that they won't discuss weight issues with patients..that is really sad if true.. :neutral:

Just curious on others thoughts or any personal experiences on/with this at MFP. As I've said, this is not just my personal experience, I have heard others saying the same thing. :neutral:

When I was 18 I had a lot of health problems and went to see a Dr and he gave me this speech about laying off sodas, sweets, you name it. I told him I drank nothing but water, didn't like sweets, etc. He flat out said "well something's making you fat." Now I know this is the opposite of what you were asking and this was 2008 and since then I haven't had a Dr say anything to me (although about 3 yrs ago I lost 70# and have kept it off) but I agree that they're not mentioning weight anymore and I believe it is to keep people relying on medicine and padding the government's pockets
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    weight..?

Honestly, I would expect that the average obese person can tell they are obese without the dr mentioning it. And I have read on this site several posts of people being mad at their dr for telling them they are obese, and the reactions varying from "I am not going back to this dr, does he think I am an idiot and cannot see it myself", to "It is not my weight that is the problem, I can be healthy with a BMI of 40, the dr is ignorant, my lab tests are awesome". My guess would be that many drs will not tell someone the obvious, like lose weight, or stop smoking, or stop being an alcoholic etc regarding bad habits or lifestyle choices, unless perhaps the dr is asked for help addressing these issues. My parents were drs and I have heard even of lung cancer patients getting mad at the dr for pointing out that obviously smoking with a lung cancer diagnosis was not a good idea or of diabetics walking into the office munching on chocolate. In the end I suppose it must sometimes feel for the dr like banging their head on a wall when giving lifestyle related advice, so they would rather assume that you are responsible for your own lifestyle choices.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've heard about how my being overweight caused everything from sinus infections to allergies to asthma to my lupus. It got to the point I revised to go in for anything not imminently life threatening. Why pay to hear what I already knew, that I was overweight? I wish it hasn't taken till age 36 to find a doctor who could see pay me being overweight to the real medical problems that made my life miserable and directly contributed to the weight gain. I finally got one doctor who decided to listen and treat my medical problems. Lo and behold, I was able to move again and the weight came off.
  • mynameisbobbielynn
    mynameisbobbielynn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Doctors have told people for years and people get their feelings hurt. It's easier just to throw pills! After my heart attack I started losing weight and my cardiologist was shocked! I told him I didn't want to die! He said that most people that have had heart attacks continue doing what they were and won't listen to him... I told him not to stop trying! (He's a young doctor). So many doctors give up on their patients! You have to learn ( like you have!!) Not to give up in yourself! Great job!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Doctors know that number one indicator for health risk is weight. It could have been that it was mentioned and that you probably didn't "hear" it because you were focused on hearing something else rather than the obvious.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    A lot of people complain about doctors mentioning anything about their weight especially the healthy at any size people. It puts doctors in an awkward situation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My doctor never said a word about losing weight. I went for my annual physical several months into my weight loss and when he asked "Anything new going on?" I said I'd lost 30 pounds. "You did?" was his response as he looked at my chart. Then last year when I went back for my physical I was down another nearly 25 pounds and he didn't say a word.
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My doctor never said a word about losing weight. I went for my annual physical several months into my weight loss and when he asked "Anything new going on?" I said I'd lost 30 pounds. "You did?" was his response as he looked at my chart. Then last year when I went back for my physical I was down another nearly 25 pounds and he didn't say a word.

That is just weird and imho kind of wrong/sad that the doctor seems to be blowing off that you are losing weight.

When I saw mine a couple months ago and had lost 22 lbs so far she really did not even bat an eye. I think many are right, when you are big, the doctors seem jaded or seem to think you are not going to make the commitment or something. It's kind of sad, really. I think they should be encouraging and even ask if there is any way they can help you succeed, not just act as if what you are doing basically does not matter.

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    The only doctor who ever expressed concern about my weight was one of my prenatal docs - and he flat out told me he didn't want to see that needle go any higher. He was thrilled when it actually dropped a few pounds for my next appointment. Other than that, not so much. It seems to be more the old-school doctors who are willing to confront lifestyle. But they do deal with a lot of people who react horribly, so I don't blame them if they quit.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    My current doctor once said that I could stand to lose a few pounds, and is very pleased that I have and has said so. On the other hand a previous doctor chalked up everything, and I mean everything to being overweight, including what turned out to be a genetic condition. I guess you just have to find the right physician!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When I first got diagnosed with pre-diabetes and high cholesterol my doctor did not give me any medications. He prescribed fish oil for the triglycerides and told me to lose weight before he decides if I should be on any kind of medications. I lost weight and I did not need medications. Some doctors do tell you to lose weight.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually complimented me on my weight loss and was trying to work with me to keep me off of medication. She discovered that I was having problems with my thyroid and due to the stress of a nasty divorce and the death of my stepfather suggested complementing my running and diet with antianxiety medication temporarily. I appreciate the honesty of being called out on my weight and being told that my situation would improve if I continued. I guess it completely depends on your physician but if you tell them to be 100% honest with you and to not sugar coat anything then they would be more willing to put themselves out there with that information. A lot of people get upset when they get called out on what they have done to their bodies.