Do you eat junk? why or why not?

Out of curiosity, who here eats junk food, and who doesn't? If you do or don't eat junk, why?

This morning I had a donut. The last two days in a row I've had a butter croissant, I've also had Cheetos, chocolate chip cookies and Wheat Thins. However, I log it all and I run for miles and miles a day so I can afford to eat these things in moderation and not go over my daily calorie limit.

I feel like if I completely banned junk food, I wouldn't feel satisfied and would overeat. I also try to balance junk with fruit and veg. I think that's pretty sensible.

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I feel like if I completely banned junk food, I wouldn't feel satisfied and would overeat. I also try to balance junk with fruit and veg. I think that's pretty sensible.
    This tbh. I eat something sweet almost everyday.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I eat some junk food when my calorie goal is high enough for it. Right now I've had to tighten up on calories so I'm on a once a week plan for that kind of thing. Once my cut is over I'll have more leeway.
  • I don't really eat junk. Sometimes I'll raid my sister's cabinets and eat her chips but that's once in a great while. Last month I had a cinnamon bun (and paid dearly for it due to the gluten in it) but before that I can't think of the last time I had anything remotely close to that.

I just don't feel satisfied when I have empty junk calories.
  • mattw273
    mattw273 Posts: 6 Member
    I have a chocolate bar or a few left over small chocolates from Christmas every day, if I go cold turkey i'll end having a massive binge, a little every day keeps me sane
  • ionamcintyre
    ionamcintyre Posts: 5 Member
    I eat junk but no sweets/chocolate/puddings etc. So I'll eat fast food, crisps etc. within calorie goals but no sweet junk food. Could not live without a Big Mac now and again.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Hell yes. If I have the calories and have already eaten my meals for the day, that's extra room for snacks. Yesterday I was under 1200 calories after I finished dinner (which is super rare for me, to be honest). So I hade two servings of ice cream and a can of cream soda, the latter being something that I haven't had in over a year because drinking calories is usually such a waste.

On the average day, though, I usually just make room throughout the day. I usually have a fun-size candy bar every day with lunch -- about 100 calories, and satisfying for the part of me that wants something sweet mid-day. It works for me. :)
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    This tbh. I eat something sweet almost everyday.

For me, it doesn't have to be sweet, it could be savory as well. But my general rule is one junk item per day, everything else has to be healthy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2016
    I eat junk food occasionally. I eat it because I like it and only eat it occasionally because it's not good for me to eat it more often.

Edit: I don't eat junk daily and have never had the urge to pig out on junk if I skip it when I want it. I often don't eat junk when I crave it just to see if the craving will go away. It often does.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I don't label food as junk. All food provides energy.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    in for a forum majority of women discussing eating junk...

I eat some food whose purpose is only to supply calories almost daily.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Out of curiosity, who here eats junk food, and who doesn't? If you do or don't eat junk, why?

This morning I had a donut. The last two days in a row I've had a butter croissant, I've also had Cheetos, chocolate chip cookies and Wheat Thins. However, I log it all and I run for miles and miles a day so I can afford to eat these things in moderation and not go over my daily calorie limit.

My diary is full of small portions of junk food. I prefer sweet over savory and never leave out dessert. Like you I don't think i'd feel satisfied not having my daily "treat".
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    If I want "Junk" I'll have some. A little of what I fancy has never done me any harm in the past and stops cravings building up to the point of "I want to eat all the ice cream, crisps, sweets, in the house now!" :smiley:
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I get where you're coming from, but the definition of junk food is food that is low in nutrients, like cake, cookies, etc. and typically high in calories. They don't really provide vitamins and minerals compared to fruit and veg. Maybe you don't like to label foods and that's ok. But junk food typically doesn't provide energy. At least not sustainable energy. A donut and a sweet potato certainly don't act the same.

That said, I see nothing wrong with eating things in moderation. Especially if I log it.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    I pretty much don't eat it, maybe twice a year at most. On the rare occasion when I do, I feel bloated and sluggish the next couple of days. It's just not worth it to me.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

I get where you're coming from, but the definition of junk food is food that is low in nutrients, like cake, cookies, etc. and typically high in calories. They don't really provide vitamins and minerals compared to fruit and veg. Maybe you don't like to label foods and that's ok. But junk food typically doesn't provide energy. At least not sustainable energy. A donut and a sweet potato certainly don't act the same.

That said, I see nothing wrong with eating things in moderation. Especially if I log it.

whole wheat, apples, bananas, coconut, and whole grain rice would also have to be examples of foods meeting the "junk" classification...
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016
    _John_ wrote: »

whole wheat, apples, bananas, coconut, and whole grain rice would also have to be examples of foods meeting the "junk" classification...

Why? apples, bananas and coconuts provide vitamins and minerals, whole grains provide also provide such things. Donuts, cookies and cake pretty much don't. Maybe niacin from the enriched flour due to pellagra many, many years ago.That doesn't mean we shouldn't eat junk at all, just that we need to balance everything out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2016
    _John_ wrote: »

How could fruit ever meet a classification that included the phrase "compared to fruit and veg."?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited January 2016

Except, they do provide energy. Calories = energy.

Maybe you're referring to complex vs. simple carbs? I dunno. Carbs are all the same to me. My body breaks them down and makes energy out of them. How that's done doesn't matter to me.

Do I eat cake and cookies and pizza and all of that? Yes. But I eat Sweet potatoes, whole grains, lean meats etc too.
  • 365daystofitgirl
    365daystofitgirl Posts: 58 Member
    you can be meeting your required calorie intake with junk food but it would have a bad impact on your insulin resistance and make you fat or even worse...ill with cardiovascular disease, diabetes etc
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2016
    What the *kitten* is junk food?

I think the more important question is: do YOU eat junk. ;)