Avocado from walmart tastes like chemicals vs. Costco avocado. Why?

Options
How can taste be so varied? Like night and day. Are some avocados genetically modified? Is the soil different? Yuck to what I just ate. Never again. I love avocados, but that walmart avocado was like biting into a Dupont plant. How could they mess with an avocado to be so varied?

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Could be that Walmart avacados have a presevative or something in them to make them last longer.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Maybe it wasn't quite ripe. They are not genetically modified.
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Maybe it wasn't quite ripe. They are not genetically modified.

^^ This. Avocados that aren't very ripe taste vastly different than those that are. I'm not sure how or why a company would put preservatives into a vegetable. If they do I'm pretty sure they would have to put a package on it and disclose it.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It was super ripe. I know when to eat my avocados. Costco avocados are like tasting nature. Walmart ones are like eating something man made.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    It was super ripe. I know when to eat my avocados. Costco avocados are like tasting nature. Walmart ones are like eating something man made.

IMO, super ripe doesn't taste good either. yucky
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Could have been a different variety of avocado, or it could have been picked too early. I know when I buy an avocado out of season, the flavour and texture are dramatically different. Like, they don't actually ripen... they just get spongy then go off.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Were they by the same company? And they could have been artificially ripened with chemicals which is what happens to many of the fruits and vegetables that have to travel a long way.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all produce we buy today has been genetically modified. You should see a natural banana.
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    Artificially ripened? I've never seen a natural banana. The thought that everything is GMO'd bothers me.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Be not afraid!!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Walmart's evil soaked into it and made it taste like exploitation and despair.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Artificially ripened? I've never seen a natural banana. The thought that everything is GMO'd bothers me.

I don't worry about GMOs and believe QueenLiz's answer to your question makes the most sense. However:

https://gmoanswers.com/ask/are-avocados-genetically-modified-and-if-so-are-there-specific-countries-sell-gmofree-varieties
    There are nine GM crops commercially available in the U.S. - corn, soybeans, cotton, canola, alfalfa, sugar beets, papaya, squash and potatoes. The GM apple has been approved and will be coming to the market soon, and this apple will express a non-browning trait.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

My guess is that either they were different types of avocado or it's all in your head. How do you feel about Wal-Mart produce in general?
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Were they the same type of avocado? Haas avocados are blah. Soil quality makes a huge difference in flavor. I was in Chile last summer, and they have the best avocados I have ever eaten! I ate them every day. The rich volcanic soil coupled with the fact that they do not let GMOs into the country leaves the fruits and veggies soooo awesome and flavorful down there!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Were they by the same company? And they could have been artificially ripened with chemicals which is what happens to many of the fruits and vegetables that have to travel a long way.

Artificially ripened with chemicals?? I know a lot of produce is picked before it's ripe and allowed to ripen in transit, but I've never heard of chemicals begin added. Do you have a source for this info?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Artificially ripened with chemicals?? I know a lot of produce is picked before it's ripe and allowed to ripen in transit, but I've never heard of chemicals begin added. Do you have a source for this info?

Aren't oranges sprayed with gas in order to make them orange in color? Maybe it's something like that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    There are no GMO avocados currently on the market.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I know I like Costco's fruit over the local stores. And I like Costco's veggies too. Costco may get first pickings, the local grocery gets seconds.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have pretty well stopped buying non-organic fruits and veggies, with a few exceptions. Definitely not anything from China as I don't trust their farming methods nor their overall farm to market practices. If I buy non-organic fruits and veggies, I only buy those grown in US and Canada...and then try to research the company selling the items.
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    Costco is for avocados, lettuce spring mix, and onions. Everything else walmart. Shocked by the taste difference. Same ripeness. I'll blame it on the soil (that seems logical). And artificial ripening.
    Meat from Costco also tastes real and walmart's taste fake to me. Could be in my head.
    Thank you for the list of GMO produce.