Butter in coffee

Options

Replies

• AmberLeannnn
    AmberLeannnn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer unrefined organic coconut oil in my coffee mixed with an immersion blender. Love it.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I put either a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil in all my coffee. It's great. Been doing it for a few years now.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I eat LCHF but I prefer to get my fat through meals. Loaded coffees and things like fat bombs have zero appeal to me. I get so much fat just through cooking normally I never have to go out of my way to get more.

I use a small amount of cream in my coffee -- maybe 30 or 40 calories worth a day.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    It's just the latest food fad. With no actual evidence behind the claims made for it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I personally prefer unrefined organic coconut oil in my coffee mixed with an immersion blender. Love it.

I personally think it sounds gross, but I have heard blending it to get it frothy is the key.
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I always said that I would try anything once, but when I was at a wedding and overheard someone say they put butter in their coffee... No. Just no.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I put 20g butter and 20g coconut oil in my coffee each morning and love it :) You have to make sure to whizz it in the blender to emulsify the fats though otherwise it does separate, which isn't great. I thought it sounded disgusting before I'd tried it too though :lol:
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yup, the last of the milk for coffee got used on cereal yesterday so I went bulletproof. I reduce though. 1tsp butter, 1tsp coconut oil, blend until frothy. Better for me than artificial creamer, and tastes yummy!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I know a devout paleo fad person who does this :/ She swears by it? Which I don't get because she is also morbidly obese
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    This was a fad a few years ago, it was on the news about how people would bring their own butter when going out for coffee. I thought it was weird then, I think it's weird now.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I've heard about this, and coconut oil. I think I'll stick to my Vanilla Silk Milk.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    not much different than a hot buttered rum

...except coffee
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,917 Member
    Options
    Yup, the last of the milk for coffee got used on cereal yesterday so I went bulletproof. I reduce though. 1tsp butter, 1tsp coconut oil, blend until frothy. Better for me than artificial creamer, and tastes yummy!

Ya, I used 1 teaspoon each as well. Plus 1/2 scoop of protein powder. However, now that I am reducing saturated fats, I kicked coconut oil to the curb and am severely limiting butter.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    not much different than a hot buttered rum

...except coffee

Yum. True. I haven't had that in a few years... Terrible oversight.

• dsusanka
    dsusanka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    is coconut oil available at most supermarkets?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    dsusanka wrote: »

Yes. It's often in the "natural foods" aisle at my supermarket. Even Costco carries it.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Butter or coconut oil. But you HAVE to blend it, not just stir it in. Then it turns into a frothy sort of latte and is actually pretty good.
  • CardiganandFlannel
    CardiganandFlannel Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I love cream in coffee...but butter sounds awful....shouldnt though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,917 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    dsusanka wrote: »

Yes. It's often in the "natural foods" aisle at my supermarket. Even Costco carries it.

And if there isn't a natural foods section, it will be in with the cooking oils. WalMart carries it. On the top shelf, which is kind of funny to me. I know it's supermarket product placement, but it makes me think of top shelf liquor.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this occasionally and add a teaspoon of unsalted Kerrygold to my black coffee. I find it gives it a similar froth and richness as cream. As I dislike milk with coffee, this works for me.

A word of warning for anyone trying this is never use salted butter.