Zero calorie, fat, carb, and sugar foods!

Options

Replies

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The peanut spread is a crime against humanity. Stay as far away as possible.
    The jams are decent. Kind of a rubbery texture but the taste is passable.
    The salad dressings that I've tried have been pretty good.
    Anything else, I have no opinion as I haven't tried them and they are a bit pricey to experiment.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I go through a bottle of the chocolate sauce per week. The caramel is good and the pancake syrup is actually very good. I've heard horrible things about the peanut butter.

That's unfortunate haha. I was really hoping the peanut butter would be good. But I'll definitely be happy to try the caramel now! And the pancake syrup! Thanks!

Just use powdered peanut butter if you're looking to cut PB calories.

I'm on a really strict sugar free, carb free, low fat diet. So I haven't found any kind of PB I could have. Thanks though!

Low fat and low carb? Medical reasons?

It is prescribed by a doctor. It's mostly just to lose a lot of weight very quickly for a short period of time.

Your doctor put you on a sugar free and carb free diet? As in zero?

I'd be seeking a new doctor, pronto.

I'm allowed to have foods with less than three grams of carbs per ounce. And two servings of vegetables a day. 5 grams or carbs each. Virtually sugar free. I'm on supplements to make sure my body is getting the nutrients it needs.

How much weight are you trying to lose? Why the rush? And low fat too? Usually if someone is on a low carb diet, fat is high to compensate.

It's called a Protein Sparing Modified Fast. I'm eating mostly protein. And I do end up having quite a bit of fat. Depending on the kind of protein I eat (ie: beef is fattier than shrimp or chicken). From my start weight I needed to lose 160 pounds. So far I've lost 14. I struggle a lot with mental disorders. So it's hard for me to stay motivated to lose weight when it happens so slowly and the results don't show quicker. This diet, hopefully will keep me on track long enough to lose a decent amount of weight, where then I can start easing back in with healthier carbs and fats and be able to at least maintain a healthier weight, and hopefully lose a little more as I am able.

Ask your dr for a detailed plan and if he cannot provide one, ask for a reference to a dietitian. Do not ask for generic guidelines, ask for sample menus. If you are doing a very restricitive medically supervised diet, there might be very little room for experimenting.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Also, have you discussed the plan with your psychiatrist? And I mean a psychiatrist, not psychologist, not therapist, not GP.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I go through a bottle of the chocolate sauce per week. The caramel is good and the pancake syrup is actually very good. I've heard horrible things about the peanut butter.

That's unfortunate haha. I was really hoping the peanut butter would be good. But I'll definitely be happy to try the caramel now! And the pancake syrup! Thanks!

I'm on a really strict sugar free, carb free, low fat diet. So I haven't found any kind of PB I could have. Thanks though!

Sound like a very bad idea. PSMF is not a long term solution or a good idea if you already have eating disorder type issues. In fact, it may lead to full blown EDs.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I am concerned about the diet advice you are receiving - especially if it is endorsed by a nutritionist, psychologist and an exercise management provider. Any of those individuals should recognize that they are setting you up to fail. If a diet is so restrictive that you are unable to stick to it, it is going to lead to frustration. The changes you make should be changes you are willing to make forever even if it is only one small change at a time. I have a hard time imagining a future that allowed me to only eat 2 vegetables a day and absolutely no sugar. Also, the water intake scares me a bit. I see a urologist because of kidney stones and his recommendation is that you divide your weight in half and drink AT LEAST that amount of water per day. If you had 160 pounds to lose to start with, 64 ounce is way under what you need to maintain a healthy hydration level.

I truly hope you find something works for you and helps you stay motivated. I'm just worried that you are getting very bad medical advice that will lead to more mental anxiety. Good luck to you.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    yikes.

Sounds like a typical crash/restriction (very restricted in your case) diet that most MFPers will say leads to yo-yo weight.
    If I went on no carbs fat or sugar then tried to "ease" back into them Id end up being bigger than I was before. Also trying to drop 160lbs FAST wont give your skin time to shrink back slowly. You will also lose muscle mass not just fat. This sounds terrible IMO.

Losing weight quickly to appease your psyche (we ALL lose weight :slowly:) and not for an extreme medical condition is very strange to me. What happens when you cant sustain this diet, or when you have to start eating again and gain weight? :(
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

http://www.proteinplusflour.com/ is what I use in my peanut sauces, etc. No added sugar.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Low fat and low carb? Medical reasons?

It is prescribed by a doctor. It's mostly just to lose a lot of weight very quickly for a short period of time.

Your doctor put you on a sugar free and carb free diet? As in zero?

I'd be seeking a new doctor, pronto.

I'm allowed to have foods with less than three grams of carbs per ounce. And two servings of vegetables a day. 5 grams or carbs each. Virtually sugar free. I'm on supplements to make sure my body is getting the nutrients it needs.

How much weight are you trying to lose? Why the rush? And low fat too? Usually if someone is on a low carb diet, fat is high to compensate.

It's called a Protein Sparing Modified Fast. I'm eating mostly protein. And I do end up having quite a bit of fat. Depending on the kind of protein I eat (ie: beef is fattier than shrimp or chicken). From my start weight I needed to lose 160 pounds. So far I've lost 14. I struggle a lot with mental disorders. So it's hard for me to stay motivated to lose weight when it happens so slowly and the results don't show quicker. This diet, hopefully will keep me on track long enough to lose a decent amount of weight, where then I can start easing back in with healthier carbs and fats and be able to at least maintain a healthier weight, and hopefully lose a little more as I am able.

You have mental issues with weight not coming off quickly enough,so your doctor put you on a VLCD with risks of dehydration, nutrient deficiencies and discourages aerobic activity? And what impact would these drastic measures have on your mental health? When you are consuming less than 1000 calories a day, how does that impact you psychologically?

OP I'm not trying to be mean. I'm truly shocked that a medical professional would prescribe this diet for someone. I strongly urge you to visit a registered dietician (not a nutritionist) and look for an approach which will enable you to lose weight at a safe rate (2lbs a week, maybe 3 if under a dietitians program) and provide you adequate nutrition and an approach that isn't so restrictive that it can't possibly be sustained for the long term.

She consumes 600 to 700 a day she said in her other thread...i left it because i was speechless. And still am.
    And when she is 18 and my daughter i would sue that doctor But that is personal.

I wish her luck and sure hope she dont get any of the damages a body can get from eating that amount of food....supplements or not.

95069916.png
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nobody asked her how long she plans to be on this diet. PSMF is fine for a short period of time. Read Lyle McDonald, who is a world class nutritionist.
    Don't listen to these MFPers, who most likely have little credentials themselves, questioning a team of professionals who are both credentialed and have extensive experience treating others. smh
    That being said, if it does become difficult to stick to, you should discuss it with your treatment team. They may need to wean you off earlier than expected.
    Good luck, OP!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Get to know and love vinegars and spices (I believe that's what the Waldon Farms salad dressings mostly are anyways) to flavor your foods. I haven't really tried many similar products, so I don't have many good suggestions. Since this is doctor prescribed with a nutritionist, maybe they have recommendations for good substitutes?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    @arditarose would protein fluff meet these requirements (I've never actually made it before).
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Jacklifts- Its really not just the highly restrictive diet that is alarming but more-so the reason why she is being told to do it. Because she has mental issues and will get discouraged with slow weight loss and results not showing quick enough for her liking. Just seems an odd prescription for a case of impatience.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I won some of their products a few weeks ago. Had never heard of them before. The coffee creamer (not something I use anyway) is awful and artificial tasting, ditto the 'fruit spread' which doesn't even contain fruit, didn't spread (just kinda sat there) and had the most horrific aftertaste. I binned them both after one try. However, I quite like the caramel sauce which I've been mixing in with my morning porridge. Not sure what else I'd use it for, smoothies maybe. I also have the chocolate sauce/syrup to go at (even though I asked for chocolate spread and they sent me the wrong one - waaaaah!). Can't say I find them that tasty or useful to warrant actually seeking them out to purchase again though. If I want jam or chocolate spread, I'll just have the 'proper' stuff and make it fit my calorie allowance.
  • exoticpumpkin
    exoticpumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    Nobody asked her how long she plans to be on this diet. PSMF is fine for a short period of time. Read Lyle McDonald, who is a world class nutritionist.
    Don't listen to these MFPers, who most likely have little credentials themselves, questioning a team of professionals who are both credentialed and have extensive experience treating others. smh
    That being said, if it does become difficult to stick to, you should discuss it with your treatment team. They may need to wean you off earlier than expected.
    Good luck, OP!

Just because someone says they are a "professional" doesn't mean they give good advice. There are plenty of bad apples in every profession...people trust these professionals and the information they get from them because of the reputation of the profession. Especially in the health, wellness and weight loss industry, these professionals prey on people who are desperate to lose weight and will pay anything and try anything with a slick sales pitch in hopes that they will lose weight quickly.

I'm not saying that this specific team of professionals falls into this category, because there isn't enough information to go off of, but I wouldn't say to not listen to MFPers who question a "team of professionals". Many MFPers are in fact professionals in the health and wellness industry and whether they are or aren't shouldn't dictate someones ability to share an opinion on something they think is unhealthy.

If I posted something I had been Rx'd diet wise and people suggested I get a second opinion...well I might just take the time to do that, there's no harm in other people recommending you do your due diligence when making drastic nutritional changes for any length of time. Just my .02.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist or a registered dietician? There's an important difference. If it's the first, chances are not one of these four professionals knows more about nutrition than any of the knowledgable people on MFP.
  • SavannahNoelle97
    SavannahNoelle97 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Also, have you discussed the plan with your psychiatrist? And I mean a psychiatrist, not psychologist, not therapist, not GP.

My psychiatrist is the one who recommended me to this group of people for this.
  • SavannahNoelle97
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    Good luck, OP!

Thank you very much! That's what I'm trying to explain but everyone just thinks it's a horrible thing for me to do. I only plan to do it for about three months. And lose as much as possible. And then slowly add back in a healthy amount of carbs, sugars, and fat. And at that point, begin calorie counting to lose the rest of what I want to lose. I'm not planning on losing 160 lbs fast. I'm planning on losing 70 lbs fast. And then feeling so much better at that weight that I am motivated to continue losing weight on my own.
  • SavannahNoelle97
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    @arditarose would protein fluff meet these requirements (I've never actually made it before).

I don't know what that is to be honest.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Well it has calories, and only the amount of carbs from the protein powder if you do it the most basic way and make it with water.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I don't know what that is to be honest.

You mix protein powder, xanthum gum, liquid of your choice, zero calorie sweetener of your choice and literally whatever powdered product you like (I use cocoa powder and cinnamon), to make this ginormous bowl of "fluff" for very little calories. Fat does not work well with it as it causes it not to fluff.