Late Night Craving Solutions

Options
What are your tricks to not eat after you complete your food diary for the day? I struggle so much once I've completed my diary & have that small extra amount of calories that I didn't use and don't want to use. I am craving so many things and doing everything in my power not to raid my fridge!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1. Drink water or tea.
    2. Lay out your clothes for the next day. Think about how you want to look in them.
    3. Review your food choices for the day to see why you might be having cravings. Figure out what (if anything) you could have done better to avoid the cravings or what you can do to fulfill the craving (within your plan) the next day.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    4...budget calories so you can have a snack at the end of the day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't have tricks to not eat after dinner. I have tricks on how to eat a lot after dinner though.
  • kkgines333
    kkgines333 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this every day! It's so so hard for me!
  • themadteapot
    themadteapot Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Water. I look at how much I've tracked, if I forgot I chug the 8 cups, if I got the 8 cups I round up and drink ten. Or I try to make something similar to what I'm craving.. Sounds gross but if I wanted a salty snack I drink this stuff called trioral that mixes into water. It has a slightly salty taste and it is supposed to help replenish your body (kinda like a Gatorade). If I wanted something sweet I mix sweetnlow and a fruit tea into my water. If I wanted sour I mix in a lemonade or lemon juice into my water. Water makes me feel really full and then after the good taste in my mouth it is easier.

Or I just distract myself. Play tug-o-war with my dog, use the kindle app, go for a walk around the block, paint my nails, etcetera.
  • richiedoucet
    richiedoucet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What are you craving?
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Budget your calories for sure. If you know you're going to want a snack before bed, plan your snack, calculate the calories, and allot for that. You could even enter it ahead of time to make sure you can fit it in. Water's also a good idea, and you can brush, floss, and mouthwash to create a psychological signal that you're finished eating for the day.
  • Wonder_Whit
    Wonder_Whit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    These are great tips!! I crave either sweets or something crunchy/salty which leaves a wiiiide amount of room for pigging out. LOL.

Thanks for all the wonderful tips! They are fantastic!
  • nwppwn
    nwppwn Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Go to bed. I find that when I stay up late I start craving things that will give me quick energy to stay awake. If you are hell bent on staying up later go for something with caffeine like coffee or tea without milk/sugar.
  • exoticpumpkin
    exoticpumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets at night all the time! I eat macro style (IIFYM) so when I am planning my next day (always plan a day in advance, just works for me), I always program in a sweet treat for my "pre-bed snack". Usually this is something like Oikos Triple Zero (yogurt) and apple slices, sugar free jello and some cool whip, protein crepes (10 Tbs egg whites and 1/2 scoop protein powder, sprinkle of cinnamon/nutmeg/vanilla extract, pour into a pre-heated pan, makes one thin crepe, which you can put fruit, jelly, or cream cheese on and roll up and eat, YUM). Just some ideas, but my main point was I always program a sweet treat before I plan any of my other food, it helps me not totally go crazy because I know I have something to look forward to before I head to bed.
  • aziz78lahore
    aziz78lahore Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have a Casein Shake, its very filling and low in calories, carbs and sugars.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I struggle with wanting to eat after dinner and after I am done logging for the day. I have figured out that if I keep my hands busy it helps. So, I bought an adult coloring book. I have a TV tray sitting my chair and when we settle in for the night the TV with my coloring books is right there. So, when I get bored and start looking for something to eat.....I color!! Helped this weekend and last night while we were watching the football game!! Best of luck to you!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

This, I have always been an evening eater so I eat less during the day
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Depending what time it is, I'll brush my teeth if it's close enough to bed time and i'm bored/habit snacking rather than hunger snacking. If i'm hungry, I choose wisely (after trying a glass of water). Otherwise, I feel like i'm really being rude to my fresh pearly whites ;)
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets at night all the time! I eat macro style (IIFYM) so when I am planning my next day (always plan a day in advance, just works for me), I always program in a sweet treat for my "pre-bed snack". Usually this is something like Oikos Triple Zero (yogurt) and apple slices, sugar free jello and some cool whip, protein crepes (10 Tbs egg whites and 1/2 scoop protein powder, sprinkle of cinnamon/nutmeg/vanilla extract, pour into a pre-heated pan, makes one thin crepe, which you can put fruit, jelly, or cream cheese on and roll up and eat, YUM). Just some ideas, but my main point was I always program a sweet treat before I plan any of my other food, it helps me not totally go crazy because I know I have something to look forward to before I head to bed.

Oooooh. Loving the protein crepe idea! Thank you for the recipe!!
  • exoticpumpkin
    exoticpumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oooooh. Loving the protein crepe idea! Thank you for the recipe!![/quote]

Hope you enjoy!

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »

This, I have always been an evening eater so I eat less during the day

Ditto. It's 11am here and I just took my first bite of the day.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    A glass of milk. It will fill you up, and I think it helps me sleep better.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I always budget for the evening. If I am able to control the cravings and dont have anything, then thats so many calories that I have saved! But I am a salty crunchy craver - Kelloggs Special K cracker chips (in the cracker aisle) are 80 calories for 17 crackers, and its just right to satisfy me.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like to brush, floss and use mouthwash after dinner. Then my mouth is minty clean and if I eat anything I have to do it all over again so I often resist.