Desserts for Those Still Losing Weight

Options

Replies

• sarab260
    sarab260 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Loving these!!! Thanks for sharing, everyone!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big sweets person, but I do find mini ice cream sandwiches (90-110 cals), Edy/Dreyer slow churned (<120 cal for 1/2 cup, a squirt of choc syrup or spoon of jam still keeps it under 200), and fun size chocolates (you can eat as many as you have calories budgeted) are my sub-200 calorie "real" sweets favorites that never disappoint when I need/want a little dessert.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Low fat ice cream doesn't do it for me. It usually leaves me wanting. When I have a dessert I usually make sure it's the best and tastiest I can manage to find. If I'm spending calories on dessert it needs to be extra good, otherwise it isn't worth it for me. Low fat desserts are just a waste of calories to me, no matter how many calories I save on them (unless it's something that is originally low fat like granita or roasted pears)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Low fat ice cream doesn't do it for me. It usually leaves me wanting. When I have a dessert I usually make sure it's the best and tastiest I can manage to find. If I'm spending calories on dessert it needs to be extra good, otherwise it isn't worth it for me. Low fat desserts are just a waste of calories to me, no matter how many calories I save on them (unless it's something that is originally low fat like granita or roasted pears)

Then you should definitely eat full fat ice cream. But some people (like me) prefer low fat because dairy fat is nasty phlegm producing ick. I've eaten low fat ice cream since I was child, although then it was just called ice milk.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Grilled peaches and grilled pineapple with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Avocado blended with good cocoa powder and a litte bit of honey or agave to sweeten- looks like chocolate pudding
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i make it all fit.. or i slightly go over my deficit. I don't have a huge sweet tooth but when I do it comes BIG
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate covered acai blueberries. I think the brand is Brooksdale ???
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oreos and ice cream fit into mine just fine...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Then you should definitely eat full fat ice cream. But some people (like me) prefer low fat because dairy fat is nasty phlegm producing ick. I've eaten low fat ice cream since I was child, although then it was just called ice milk.

Yes, if that's what you've always liked then that's what you should have. I actually can't do lower fat versions of most things except for semi skimmed milk (which I use to make a killer hot chocolate drink with cinnamon and espresso!)

Well, at least I'm lucky that I don't mind artificial sweeteners one bit, so that helps my calories sometimes in drinks. In baked goods though, they just ruin the color and texture which is a shame.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a favorite, I get on kicks where a thing is my favorite for a little while and then I'm over it.

I haven't found much advantage to diet versions of desserts, caloric or otherwise. My experience for the most part are the portions are just smaller in some way (e,g. more air whipped in ice creams, more leavening agents or air puffed into cakes/cookies, etc).
    And often the lower fat desserts have little caloric difference to their full fat counterparts to make the difference in taste worth it to me. And paying a premium for air or low fat isn't appealing either.

I have better luck making my own "lower calorie" desserts and shaving off calories where I can, usually by using a little less butter/oil and sugar, and a lot less nuts/chocolate chips/etc than recipes call for, as well as making the portions a little smaller.

But for storebought desserts and sweet treats, I just buy whatever I fancy at the time and watch my portions. There's so much selection to choose from, so many fun things on the market, limited edition Oreo flavors and seasonal variations of goodies, it's a joy I don't want to give up just to save, in my view, a near-neglible amount of calories.

That said, I do find SF Jello (gelatin) dessert to be a worth the trade. If I was a fan of sugar-candy (virtually fat-free things like suckers, etc) I would definitely seriously consider switching to the SF versions. But that's only a no-brainer to me because I'm not a fan of sugar that hasn't been tempered with fat as it is.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Breyer's no sugar added vanilla is creamy and tastes great. I like to top with chocolate syrup and walnuts.

A piece of chocolate is nice or even a spoonful of peanut butter.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Vegan Super Food Chia dessert!!

It's creamy, seriously pudding-like, no added sugar, chocolatey, loaded with nutrients and...best of all, super easy!!

You make it overnight, so it's the laziest healthy pudding ever.

http://minimalistbaker.com/overnight-chocolate-chia-seed-pudding/
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love skinny cow ice cream cones! Hands down my fave treat, I really like the chocolate mousse ones. I have no self control with regular ice cream so those work best for me.
  • nessssa36
    nessssa36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been loving blending up half a large banana((frozen) with a cup of almond milk, zero calorie sweetener and a tablespoon of pure cocoa powder. It's chocolate banana deliciousness. It taste like those banana and chocolate swirled ice creams you get from an ice cream truck.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Mostly quality chocolate of varying flavors. I like ice cream but it makes me really sick on the stomach (not lactose intolerant). I can have it homemade so we think it is some additive in the commercial ones I've tried.

I love good pastries but again quality counts. I don't understand why people like those commercial honey buns with the icing that has the consistency of plastic. Pastry with cheese is a big weakness.

Cheesecake. Real cheesecake (which means without any ridiculous graham crust) and no sauce. A nice dense not too sweet authentic cheesecake.

YUP, this. I usually have drank a beer or glass of wine, so i don't typically have dessert. but i do go for the quality dark chocolate.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I can't get any of the ice cream treats you all talk about in Germany, so I tend to make my own. In summer I take a watermelon, puree it (get the seeds out), add a few fresh blueberries and put into ice-lolly makers. Done.
    In winter I take a banana, put it in a freezer bag and squish it. Once it's frozen, I add a little yogurt and puree it. Then I add some peanut butter or cocoa powder. Yummy icecream!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I do like to puree frozen bananas and sometimes add pb or pb2, cocoa powder or chocolate chips, coconut, strawberries, etc. depending on what sounds good. It's not ice cream and the calories can be as little or big as you like, but it does make a really good frozen dessert.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    MikaMojito wrote: »
    I can't get any of the ice cream treats you all talk about in Germany, so I tend to make my own. In summer I take a watermelon, puree it (get the seeds out), add a few fresh blueberries and put into ice-lolly makers. Done.

Or, add some spiced rum and serve immediately. ::drinker::
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to fruit - sometimes with a bit of peanut butter if I still have the calories. I much less likely to over indulge than when I eat sugar.
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Most of the times I'm eating some flavoured low fat yoghurt or home made banana ice cream (freeze some banana chunks, blend them in the kitchen machine and you have DELICIOUS and healthy banana iceream).
    And sometimes I'm taking the full fat version of foods, but I'm always eating my dessert out of a very small cute bowl, so I never eat too much.