just went double my daily goal :-(

Options
kiddiebqueen17
kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
It's been two weeks of healthy eating and today I just was out of control. Bought a slice of pizza for lunch then ate alot of high calorie foods.

I feel guilty for my food choices and portions but everything tasted so good and I actually felt satisfied and full.

How do I avoid this binge eating???

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's going to happen sometimes. Log it, figure out if there is anything you could have done differently (if you want to avoid this in the future), and get back on plan.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not allowing yourself enough calories on a regular basis.

How much weight do you want to lose?

To avoid the "binge eating" you are going to have to look at what drives it. Not the food - the behavior. You mention that "everything tasted so good"... there's a clue. Are you forcing yourself to eat 'diet' foods that don't appeal to you? Have you arbitrarily removed foods that you enjoy? Are you eating in a way that you can sustain for the long haul?
  • jusbar71
    jusbar71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You've had a blow out, tomorrow's a new day, new start! Get back to logging your food and maybe do some more exercise. You will then feel better about it and not so guilty, at least your not doing it every day, like so many of us have. Which has led us to be on here.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    we all have days like that.

you dont have to give up foods you like and eat. i lost all my weight by eating the same things i always have, just less of it. if you have cut those things out, it may be reason for the 'binge' today, and should be taken as sign that you need to re-evaluate how you are doing things.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What vivmom said...

That's a big blowout... How many cals are you allowing yourself per day? What deficit is that?

Either you are trying to lose weight too fast, have poor self control, or are using food as an emotional crutch. Only you can figure out which one it is and make the adjustments or seek the help needed to overcome them.

If it was easy no one would be fat!

Good luck
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So let's say your TDEE is 2000
    And your goal is 1350

And you've eaten 2700 instead

So 700 maintenance on one day

Go for an hour walk twice
    Cut 100 off your goal for the next 7 days

But my preference would be log it, think about it, move on ...700 calories is nothing ...take the life lesson
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on - guilt is worthless.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are absolutely human because this is absolutely a thing that we humans do sometimes. The important thing is that you acknowledge it, learn from it, and pick yourself up afterwards. Forgive yourself. It happened. It may happen again in the future.

Going forward, you might make sure that you aren't restricting too much (that can include a calorie goal that's too low, not eating your exercise calories, or cutting out foods or food groups you love). I try to carry around or plan a snack in case I get hungry. If you can identify specific trigger foods it can sometimes help to avoid them.

Someone once gave me the HALT acronym. Don't let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. That's when our willpower is lowest and we're most likely to overeat.

But really, it's just a thing that happens. Dust yourself off and keep going. :flowerforyou:
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I went waaaaay more than double my goal one day last week.... Almost triple. But, I was very conscientious the rest of the week and worked out 5/7 days. Lo and behold I had lost 2 lbs at the end of the week, which is actually a huge loss for me.

You can save this week yet!
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories or work out more the next couple days to get to the same goal for the week. In the future, don't go as overboard, but allow yourself 1 meal/week where you get to "cheat". You need to have rewards and tasty meals to look forward to and keep you going. Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories or work out more the next couple days to get to the same goal for the week. In the future, don't go as overboard, but allow yourself 1 meal/week where you get to "cheat". You need to have rewards and tasty meals to look forward to and keep you going. Good luck!

Disagree ...tasty foods should be the bedrock of your diet...if it's not tasty why waste the calories

Also ...if you have to cheat there's no point...you can save up calories to splurge...that's not cheating,that's sticking to your weekly calorie goal...that's not cheating :)
  • cthakkar1985
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Disagree ...tasty foods should be the bedrock of your diet...if it's not tasty why waste the calories

Also ...if you have to cheat there's no point...you can save up calories to splurge...that's not cheating,that's sticking to your weekly calorie goal...that's not cheating :)

I would love if tasty foods were the bedrock of my diet, but unfortunately the things I like include buffalo wings, pizza, cookies, potato chips, etc. If I only ate foods that I thought were tasty, I'd have no calories left by 11AM. In addition, If I'm counting my macros (which I do), it would be almost impossible. I could probably eat 1 or 2 foods that I consider tasty and have to drink protein shakes the rest of the day to hit my macros.
  • cthakkar1985
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I think it's okay to go over your calorie goal once in a while and cheat. Personally, I allow myself 1 cheat meal/week and it works well for me. I can still fit it into my calorie goal if I wanted but I will have to starve the rest of the day. Sure, I'll reach my goal a little bit later than if I didn't cheat, but it helps me to keep going. If I go over by 500 calories or so 1 day, I'll lose 0.15 pounds less that week. I can live with that.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It happens. Log it, work out, try again tomorrow!
  • Staffspec
    Staffspec Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been helped by loading up a bunch of weight loss podcasts on my phone. I figured out that I need a LOT of support around my thinking and decision-making, so I listen to one a day during a walk and/or my commute and have even listened to one while grocery shopping to shelter me from buying things I can't resist. It's hard to buy a muffin when you are hearing via headphones right at that moment that it would take 115 minutes to walk it off. The podcasts have helped me make fewer bad choices to start with, but also have pummeled me with the idea that a mistake is a mistake, it's human and we just start over again, right away, not tomorrow or next Monday.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Eat salads all day tomorrow?
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Did you go crazy because you had the pizza and then said "Oh well, I blew it anyway..." Try to not let one bad meal/food derail your day. I read a quote here on MFP that sticks with me: something like "When you get a flat tire, don't slash the other three."
  • ErinR82
    ErinR82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It happens! It's ok! Log it in, and get back to where you want to be tomorrow. Maybe take an extra walk or add a little to your workout for a little jumpstart tomorrow if you're worried about it. But one day doesn't ruin anything and I think sometimes it's necessary.

Congrats on the 2 weeks of healthy eating! You already know you can do it, so don't let 1 day stress you out! :)