What is your Body Fat % goal ?

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
*What is your Body Fat Percentage goal? Do you have one? How did you decided it??!

I started using a different body fat % calculator online... not completely accurate, of course.. We have actual thing at work that measures body fat and it's pretty close to this the last time I used it...... but this will do for now.. :) anyways.

I know this much:
Women Men
Essential fat 10-12% 2-4%
Athletes 14-20% 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Acceptable 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32% or more 26% or more

My current BF% (estimated via http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html) is 21.3% which would be at the "Fitness" level. :)

I'm not looking to be at the "Essential Fat" level because I don't believe this is realistic for my curves and height and such. My current goal is 15% body fat, but that is just randomly picked one day.... I'd like to be at the "Athletes" level, but not really sure how to decide what my body fat percentage should be/what I want it to be?!

So again,
*What is your Body Fat Percentage goal? Do you have one? How did you decided it??!

Replies

• Pcramer2
    Pcramer2 Posts: 16
    Options
    Right now I am at 24.7% based on the circumfrence method.

My goal is to be at 16% to 18% - Athlete level (I want to see my abs and not see my thighs jiggle...lol)
  • sarah307
    Options
    that's a good goal of 16 - 18 % for a woman!

I'm also wondering if my 15% is realistic.
    but oh well, doesn't matter too much - as long as I feel great and I am healthy :):):)

but I want my tattoo goal :) PAHA
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i don't really know what i want. between 14-16 would be good. I found this site.
    http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
    this siite is VERY eye opening.
    I think the girl at 18% looks really good and the girl at 15% is pretty buff lol so in a perfect world i would want to be 17 =] haha
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I guess 0% not possible, huh? Lol. I guess I'd like to somewhere around 18% someday. Maybe a bit less.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Less then 24%
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    10-12% body fat is just skin covering bones...very unhealthy
    less than 18% is not much different
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My ideal is 8-10%, but I'll be happy when I can just see that I actually have abdominal muscles. The only time a 4 or 6 pack is better than a keg.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    10-12% body fat is just skin covering bones...very unhealthy
    less than 18% is not much different

Or skin covering muscle depending on the rest of the person's body composition...
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    I *think* I'd be comfortable with my shape around 18-21% -- although I wouldn't trust any method much other than the BodPod or hydrostatic tank. One day, I plan on having my BF taken by one of those, when I feel like making the 4 hour drive to the nearest one, ha!
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    i don't really know what i want. between 14-16 would be good. I found this site.
    http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
    this siite is VERY eye opening.
    I think the girl at 18% looks really good and the girl at 15% is pretty buff lol so in a perfect world i would want to be 17 =] haha
    wow!! Those pics are amazing! I love stuff like that!
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    Goal: 7-8%
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    According to measurements, I started at about 30%, currently at 22% and happy with that.

Wouldn't object to 20%, based on those sample photos.
  • sarah307
    Options
    wow thanks for that site ... helps a lot!! and of course.. woman and men have different healthy percentages people! :):)

awesome goals!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    last time I had my body fat tested, about a month ago, I was at 25%...thinking I'd like to be around 20%...too much lower and I lose my curves ;)

I haven't been at this weight or body fat percentage in about 13 years, so I'm having to re-learn what size looks "good" on me :)
  • sarah307
    Options
    agree!!
    and i LOVE that site that is linked on here... I am definitely changing to 18% body fat goal. I like curves :) and i don't wanna be manly ripped out haha
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I had mine tested (hydrostatically), and it's 15.2% (well, in April). It's probably somewhat less now, since I've lost a couple more lbs. but added some muscle. I never really thought about where it would wind up, nor did I have that goal in mind. I just want to get as healthy and fit as possible, and that's a side result.
  • sarah307
    Options
    I had mine tested (hydrostatically), and it's 15.2% (well, in April). It's probably somewhat less now, since I've lost a couple more lbs. but added some muscle. I never really thought about where it would wind up, nor did I have that goal in mind. I just want to get as healthy and fit as possible, and that's a side result.

love this answer
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    10% for me, but I think it will take a while. I was at 22% about 2 weeks ago when I started my second round of P90X, but I am going to have to get even more disciplined with my eating to get there, methinks.
  • Atthea
    Atthea Posts: 53
    Options
    I am not sure! That is a good question...
    My scale sets me at 45% but I think it's a lot of bull !!!!
    Scales are inacurate for sure.
    That said last time I checked at Curves I was at 30% so 20% would be wonderful !
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I think I'd like to be about 20%. Right now I'm at like 29%.