What I wish I knew when I was just starting out

Options

Replies

• sharitapita
    sharitapita Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For me, I plateaued (when I was at my lowest weight about 20 lbs ago) for several months. Cutting all processed food and sugar (aside from a weekly cheat meal) got me finally losing again.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    CICO. This would have saved me two ish years of sheer frustration!

This, except it would have saved me around 18 years of frustration. All I had to do was count calories and weigh my food? Who would have thought?
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I learned that just because I'm 65 it's not actually more difficult to lose weight than it was when I was younger, that lifting weights at my age could transform my body and make my bones healthy, that it's not a race or a competition with others, and that I really could eat what I wanted if I could make it fit into my daily calorie and macro goals, but also that the occasional over indulgent day doesn't ruin all my hard work.

Birthdays, weddings, vacations and holidays are part of life and it's more fun (and not bad) to just enjoy them and then get back on track the following day.

Logging (primarily pre-logging) every day is essential to me to maintain my loss and now that it's a habit, just like any other, it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I wish I knew years ago that there was a gym rat living inside of me just waiting to get out!

Love this! Hopefully, I can remember these things since I have worked so hard this past year to finally, once and for all, take control of my health again. I think I'm finally brave enough to get rid of all those "next sizes" that I've been afraid to donate.

• smh1963
    smh1963 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    agree with others , don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,001 Member
    Options
    I wish I had realised how quick and easy it would be to lose the weight.

I had this idea that at my age it was either not going to happen at all, or that it would be a long, hard slog. So, reluctantly, I signed up, put my information in, gasped in horror at the 1250 maximum calories I was allowed, breathed a small sigh of relief that I could eat about half my exercise calories back too ... and stuck to the diet with the tenacity of a Jack Russell Terrier.

The exercise aspect helped a lot, as did thoroughly browsing through my local grocery stores and markets to find good tasting low calorie food.

And the weight fell off. :)
  • patty_36_2
    patty_36_2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The workout/diet buddy you start with, on your weight loss journey, will probably not be there at the end or even middle. Just keep going and don't let that affect your progress.

This is so true. I did find it hard at first, but then realized that it's my weight, and my responsibility, so I just kept on by myself, still on my road and am OK..
  • Nthabiseng259
    Nthabiseng259 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yrieves wrote: »
    Love your body while working toward the body you want! Take it one day at a time or else it can be overwhelming and easy to get off track. Know that you can do it by yourself and don't listen to bad advice! You know your body listen to it and do what works for you!

Preach!!!!!:)
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That there's a whole wide world of produce out there. You don't have to stick to apples and carrots :smile:

I still don't like sweet potatoes though. :s
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    The most important thing portion control.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Loving this- fantastic as i am just starting my journey.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    vrojapu wrote: »
    I wish I had known...

And most of all, that MFP is my BFF...

Ha ha. Love this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!