I'm getting married in 9 months & no motivation!!

Options
Hi all...
I get married in 9 months... I have at least 100lb I could do with loosing but setting myself a more realistic(?) 60-70lb... Problem is I have zero motivation!!
Anybody got any tips?
I lost 50lb in 4 months last year...and I've put it all back on!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    If you have no motivation, then no one can help you. You can get all the inspiration, encouragement, cheering, etc., but if you don't want to do it, it ain't gonna happen. Why do you not feel like taking this on?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You remember the feeling of excitement you had when you 50lbs last year? That should be your motivation along with the wedding. But don't just put the wedding as the reason you want to do this. This should be an overall change for you and your spouse to live a long happy life!
  • shiv020910
    shiv020910 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have serious issues with going to the gym.. I hate working out when people are around
    I've taken up walking and have done quite a lot of walking the last few days and am eating well under my calorie limit.. But I feel like I need to be doing more!!
    Thanks for replying by the way!
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a cheap Eliptical - I got my most recent one from craigslist for $50. Then you can work out in the privacy of your own home.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Dont be too hard on yourself
    your fiancé loves you and proposed to you at your current weight so it obviously is not a factor
    people get all bent out if shape no pun intended over looking perfect on the perfect day and being finally the perfect weight but you are perfect right now to your fiancé so losing 100 lbs or 50 or any other set number is not going to make you deserve love and happiness any more or less than right now at this weight

just eat sensibly and stay mentally and physically healthy
    Putting too much pressure on yourself in a stressful year will guarantee failure
    It sounds cliched but you have one day to be wed and the rest if your life to be married
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Getting married (or maybe even more accurately the honeymoon cruise) was the best motivation I ever had! I lost 23 lbs in the months before my wedding and left for our destination 2 lbs from my goal weight! I was over the moon, and was so grateful to myself for putting in the effort. The pictures from that trip will be something we look back on for the rest of our lives. I jokingly (not really though) tell my husband we need to plan another cruise or vacation like that for more motivation!

It felt easier to stick to my plans of working out and eating right when I had that to look forward to. Set yourself goals and rewards for reaching those goals. Something you really want! And then earn it! Congrats and good luck!
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think if you change your perspective on the situation it might help. Look at it as making sure that you're loving yourself as much as you are promising to love someone else for the rest of your life. Do you not like working out around other people because you are feeling insecure? I feel like my motivation to start working out at the gym was that I started to actually care about myself. I wasn't doing it for anyone but myself (and what I want to be for my children).

Here's a weird motivational thing I do on the treadmill when I start wanting to give up, I imagine that I'm running right behind my future self. That I can see how hard she has worked, how much more fit she is, how much better she feels about herself, how great my *kitten* looks now lol, and look up to my future self and strive to make her proud now.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of going to the gym either. It just takes so much more effort to get out of the house and go somewhere to work out. I do the vast majority of my workouts in my living room. I put on yoga videos (my favorite site is DoYogaWithMe.com) or I'll do calisthenics. Even just dancing around to one of my favorite albums will get me sweating. Find an activity that you enjoy rather than forcing yourself into something you dread.
  • marija09
    marija09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    surround yourself with friends who have the motivation that you are lacking. and when you're feeling low if u talk to others about it (physical friends can be more effective than virtual), that'll help you get on track. nothing beats a real warm hug!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you're not motivated that's ok. There's no law you have to lose weight.
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you have no motivation, then no one can help you. You can get all the inspiration, encouragement, cheering, etc., but if you don't want to do it, it ain't gonna happen. Why do you not feel like taking this on?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

this^
  • Smile72
    Smile72 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You have to want to do it. It's a matter of interest vs commitment. I suggest giving yourself a small goal and work at it day by day. Maybe it's not about the motivation maybe it's more about feeling pressured/overwhelmed.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is losing weight can be 100% diet. If you don't like the gym, don't go to the gym. I mean, for HEALTH purposes, exercise is important. But if your main goal is simply shedding some weight, you can do it with only your diet. Simply eating below your TDEE is enough.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If you're not motivated that's ok. There's no law you have to lose weight.

This. You're planning a wedding -- congratulations! You deserve to enjoy it, and it's okay if weight loss just doesn't fit into that plan. Your happiness is not size dependent.

At the same time, when you're ready to lose weight and want to (wanting to and being ready are different things that don't always coexist), you don't have to force yourself to do it in ways that don't interest you. As others have said, you do not have to go to the gym or work out in any real way if you don't want to. A lot of us (self included) have lost a lot of weight just walking and maintaining a calorie deficit. I absolutely detest going to the gym. So I log honestly and as accurately as I can, and accept that I don't get to eat as much as active gym goers.
  • AngelMommy13
    AngelMommy13 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am also getting married this year and have over 100 lbs to lose. I am down 28 so far. What motivates me is thinking about the pictures! Like someone said though, if you don't have it in you to lose the weight then what we say probably wouldn't help. You have to find it within yourself to lose the weight. I finally just got sick of being fat and being tired all the time. Thinking how I would look in the wedding pictures just gave me even more motivation lol..

Wishing you the best!! :)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    the only motivator I can give you is that those photos of you in that beautiful dress will be hanging in people's homes FOREVER no matter what you look like, so you might as well try your hardest to look your best and KNOW that you look and feel your best that day. It is a big goal but you can do it!!!
  • all4koi
    all4koi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but have you heard of ketogenic diet/lifestyle? Much safer than Atkins since its a low-carb high-fat moderate-protein diet. And any exercise you do will only improve weight loss. Let your motivation to be healthier to live longer with your soon-to-be husband and if you can, get him to help you too! Nothing like a fiance runnign along side you!
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Judging by just your face pic (since you have no body pics) I don't see how you could possibly lose 100 lbs...

But set a realistic goal, eat healthy, walk/start running. You need to do resistance training so suck it up and go to a gym (no one cares what you look like or do, we respect you even more if anything) or buy a good weight set.
  • shiv020910
    shiv020910 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Judging by just your face pic (since you have no body pics) I don't see how you could possibly lose 100

Thank you but my face tells lies... I weigh about 290lb...

You have all helped so much! I intend to suck it up and deal with it...!

My daily calories allowance is 2,900 and I'm eaten under 1,500 everyday so far this week and I intend to keep it under that!! So next step is conquering the gym...!

I will do this Not only for me but for a long happy life with my little girl & husband to be!