Am I not eating enough?

Options
I'm at 230 pounds right now down from 274, and I'm starting to log my exercise more... I get 1,300 for the day, and I hate going over, so I eat at least 1250 in a day, I'm very precise with measuring everything! But on days that I work out, I have never logged it in, usually I do a light jogging in place/power walk on a weight loss video game thingy lol, it says I burn about 250 calories total at the end... Should I be adding this in and eating extra? I don't want to deprive myself of course, so my question is- if I'm eating 1250 calories and exercise 250 calories = 1,000 calories, so I would have to eat at least 200 calories to make up for the exercise to stay at that minimum 1200? I tend to obviously drink a ton of water on my exercise days so I'm not as hungry after exercising, so do I have to log and eat my exercise points? Sorry if I'm confusing!

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I would say you definitely need to increase calories. Part of the problem with starting off so low is there's no wiggle room if you hit a plateau. You really want to find a happy medium where you're losing weight but slowly and in a healthy way. At about 170ish pounds, I am consistently losing with a goal of 1674 calories per day.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How come this app calculates me at 1300 then? I'm just a bit confused but I do agree with you!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @ebaroldy you probably have your weekly loss set to 2 lbs a week.
    Put your stats in and see what you get at 1.5.
    I see you are precise about measuring everything. Does this mean you are using a digital scale for all solids and cups and spoons for liquids? If you are not using a scale for your solids I would advise you to get one.

Log your exercise and eat back 50-75%. MFP tends to overestimate.

Cheers, h.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am currently 230 lbs and my daily goal is 1980 calories, I lost 24lbs last year following this site...I am set to lose 1lb per week (would be on 1480 i set to 2lbs)

so yes your total does seem low...

Your activity level is also an important one, and how thats set, be honest about it, if you do sit around all day then put sedentary, dont be afraid to tell the truth on here. I do say that pick what you think you are, then go for the next one down, as time goes on you can then change thisto get your figures nearer your output....

One tip I alway give to new comers is not to try to go to fast too quickly, I say for the first 2 weeks eat like you have eaten for the last year and log that, you can then see what you used to eat regular and that can aid to shock you into really losing the weight once and for all, but then just change a little thing to start, like 1/2 your usual bread intake or cutting out pop (soda for the yanks) or do something to your usual diet to change it then stick at it for a week or 2 get used to it, then change again and so on, this way the changes become habits and the norm.

I feel that alot of people come in first time and try to eat half what they usually eat and that just leads to trouble, and then failure, so start slow and steady, get used to it first, and the changes will come over time.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes I am definitely sedentary and I did put it at 2 pounds a week, I'll take it a step back and set it to 1.5 or 1 pound a week then, thank you for the advice everyone!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Increase to 1400.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    One tip I alway give to new comers is not to try to go to fast too quickly, I say for the first 2 weeks eat like you have eaten for the last year and log that, you can then see what you used to eat regular and that can aid to shock you into really losing the weight once and for all, but then just change a little thing to start, like 1/2 your usual bread intake or cutting out pop (soda for the yanks) or do something to your usual diet to change it then stick at it for a week or 2 get used to it, then change again and so on, this way the changes become habits and the norm.

I feel that alot of people come in first time and try to eat half what they usually eat and that just leads to trouble, and then failure, so start slow and steady, get used to it first, and the changes will come over time.

Exactly! I think you are right on!