New favorite exercise: Rock Climbing!

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
Today I went for a walk, and walked to the private school near my house that goes up to 8th grade. At the older kids playground there is a 10ft tall rock climbing wall. I decided to look at the calories burned on MFP for rock climbing and it burns a little under 200 calories for 15 mins! I don't have a HRM to compare, but I did it for 13 mins and really broke a sweat! Supporting your body using mostly your arm strength is a great workout and I could really feel it in my core as well. I'm going to be adding this into my regular exercise for sure!

Any other fans? :smile:

Replies

• Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I enjoy rock climbing and bouldering...and it probably depends on how much you are attacking the rock, but you can definitely get a great full body workout climbing/bouldering
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I love rock climbing! It is an amazing workout! My forearms are sore for days after. Although, I have worn my HRM and I didn't burn that many cals. :frown:
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    THis is has been on my to-do list for a long time. Thanks for the reminder, I gotta try it out!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's something I'd love to do, especially after climbing a 15 foot wall with a rope at last weekend's Warrior Dash. Haven't done anything even remotely like that in more than 25 years, since we had to climb a rope in gym class in 8th grade! It was amazing!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've been a climber for years. I've worn my HRM to the climbing gym, and out on the real rocks. A lot depends on the routes you are climbing and your skill, but for an average night at the gym (8-10, 25 foot routes) I'd burn 500 to 700 calories. It is an amazing whole body workout. And remember, climbing should be a leg workout, not arms as much, arms for balance, legs to go up! ;)
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to try! I'll put it in my wish list for when I find some time to do it.... (not complaining but I'm a mother of two, have a full time job, will start school full time again next month and the schedule is super crazy....I'll have to go back and forth from school to the office a couple of times 4 days a week.... thank god I have a super flexible schedule at work and a free gym in the building so I can go on my lunch break to do some exercise everyday)

Anyway, I'll try it someday!