Oprah buys 10% share in Weight Watchers

Options
13»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    I do not appreciate the commodification of health or weight loss. I think it is unfortunate that a woman with so much money who is supposed to empower women is investing her money, in order to make more money, off of women who think they need to spend money to change their health. I've always been very pro-Oprah, but this really soured me.

I don't think Oprah is so great. She has overcome a lot and I won't deny that, but this is the same woman who put stock in James Fray, Dr. Oz [good surgeon, bad at everything else], Dr. Phil, and many more.

yup.

not a fan of her or WW.

smart businesswoman though, I'll hand that much to her. surprised she hasn't done something like this before now, honestly.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Tbh I really don't care. I've tried WW and, other than the weigh in, felt like I was being subjected to an infomercial. The hard sell on WW products was ridiculous, and no exercise other than a gentle walk was encouraged. I lasted a couple of weeks, and did lose a few lbs, but learned nothing useful.
    As to Oprah saving the brand, well she's advertising it here on UK TV, but as we don't really watch her show I doubt it'll work.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Jain wrote: »
    Tbh I really don't care. I've tried WW and, other than the weigh in, felt like I was being subjected to an infomercial. The hard sell on WW products was ridiculous, and no exercise other than a gentle walk was encouraged. I lasted a couple of weeks, and did lose a few lbs, but learned nothing useful.
    As to Oprah saving the brand, well she's advertising it here on UK TV, but as we don't really watch her show I doubt it'll work.

I've never tried WW but I've heard the same thing from other people. That when you go to the meetings, the leaders try to push WW products on you.

In theory, WW doesn't seem like a bad idea but I don't think it's as practical as CICO.