Never stepped foot in a gym.. Advice!

Options
I've worked my way down from 190 pounds to 135 pounds within about a year..
10 pounds to go before I reach my goal weight of 125. :):)
After I reach 125 I would like to join a gym and begin to tone up. Im 25, with 3 kids (2 of which were born within 11 months of each other) so my body (belly especially) needs some serious toning.
But to be honest, the gym scares me! I've never stepped foot in a gym, and have no clue what to do once I do join one. I can't afford a trainer right now so I will be on my own!
Anyone have advice?? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tokyojeans
    tokyojeans Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all - wow! What an amazing thing you've done for yourself and your family. You've already shown so much strength, dedication and commitment to being healthy, the gym is just the next logical step for you. I've been working out my whole life but I still feel intimidated to walk into a new gym or a new exercise class - totally normal to feel that way! I have a few suggestions that might help you....first get a cute workout outfit. Doesn't have to be expensive, just something you feel good in. If you can find a workout buddy, even better. You can both be nervous together but it really helps to know you've got someone counting on you to go. If you can afford it, hire a trainer for a few sessions. They'll get you started with a plan so you'll know what to do when you get there. If you can't afford a trainer take a class. Most gyms offer a variety of classes for every level. Take some beginner ones to start and hide at the back of the room if you want! Good luck, you've already done the hardest part!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Usually, when you join a gym, they will give you a tour and let you try a class or two for free(even before you sign up). So, take advantage of those freebies. I even got a free body fat analysis and weigh-in to help me track as I went. The trainers can show you around the equipment and how to use it without actually "training" you. That's their job. Some gyms even have circuit classes that incorporate equipment (kinda like a curves circuit) and then you learn how to do more exercises in a group environment.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - I would suggest looking into a structured beginner program like strong lifts, all pro beginner routine, or new rules of lifting for woman. Those will give you a good introduction to compound movements and build a foundation of strength for you.

I would also suggest paying more attention to your macros and micros, and being very accurate with logging as those are all important for body recomp goals. Also, you can have a trainer at your gym show you proper form on compound movements, but don't let them talk you out of it. A lot of trainers will just tell you to use machines and 5# dumbbells, which is a BS copout…..
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The gym that I joined gives you three free personal trainer sessions when you join and have classes running all day. Shop around and find one that has people on hand to help you out and you can ask questions of, or that has classes that you're interested. That's my advice. The other advice is to research first. Read what you can about what you're wanting to achieve in the gym, and then go in with a plan. You will only feel out of place/stupid for a day or two while you figure it out :P At least, that's true for me. Sometimes I still feel stupid when I'm trying something new, but I just pull aside one of the trainers they have there and have them watch me to make sure I'm doing it correctly
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First and foremost...congrats on your weight loss...impressive ! Joining a gym seems to be a little intimidating but it isn't as bad as you think. First of all, if there are multiple gyms in your area, go check them all out before you pay to join one. Generally all will give you the tour, and some a few free day. Finding the best atmosphere is a good first start. One important aspect for you is what do you think you are looking for...classes (Zumba, etc.) or to workout mainly on your own. Almost any gym will have equipment needed to work out on your own, but some will be much better in having classes. Also, check to ensure what the cost would be for classes. Some include them in membership, others charge a premium. Ask ask ask. Then when you join a gym, most gyms will have someone show you how to use the equipment, and possibly suggest a few things to you. After that it isn't that hard without a trainer. Look around....watch what others do, even those with trainers...looking is free ! Go on the internet and you will find tons of videos addressing form of exercise and area of benefit. You will probably see the same things being done in the gym. With your obvious focus and initiative, you will be fine. Add me as friend if you want, I'll be glad to help however I can.
  • AnnieCoughlin
    AnnieCoughlin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree....take a class! Try something that is fun. You will start to make some class buddies, and then go from there. Most gyms have an orientation of some sort, make sure that you go to that. Have them run you through the circuit. I am new too! I do a class or....5 minute cardio (warm-up), circuit (20-30 minutes), 30-45 minute cardio, 5 minute stretch. Good luck!
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I know people either really love or really hate Planet Fitness, but they have a trainer on staff that you can make personal appointments with for free. I have never taken advantage of that, except to go up and ask a quick question or get a suggestion on how to do a particular lift given the type of equipment they have vs what is demonstrated in NROLFW.

When I was a member of Gold's (a long time ago), I got a couple of free sessions with the particular membership that I purchased.

What I did when I first started lifting is go when I know it is not going to be very busy so I am not fighting for equipment and can take my time, not feel intimated, etc. I did a lot of research before hand, reading online, reading and studying the NROLFW book, etc., I took my book and my cell phone with me, so I could refer to the book as needed and could watch google and watch youtube videos -- there is also an app called JEFIT that includes animated gifs of the movements.

Once I started feeling more comfortable with what I was doing, I just owned it. I got to know a few other lifters and that made me feel even more comfortable. Although I haven't lifted in a while, one of the last times I did, it was me and 14 guys, I was lifting heavier then several of them.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Ask for a guest pass, 3 days-1 week is generally what I see, and test the waters. Come in at the times you would normally go so you can see how busy it is. Right now it is going to be SLAMMED from 3pm to 7pm. New Year Resers. Ask for a class schedule if they offer classes and talk to people who take the classes.

I agree with starting out in a structured program like Strong lifts. I did that for a while, but it didn't fit my schedule so much, so now I do a 4 day split. Watch YouTube videos to observe proper form. I've had other gym goers come up and say "Hey you should keep your back straight or your elbows in when you do X so that you don't hurt yourself." I usually go home and google the move and figure out if I was doing it wrong or not. Watch yourself in the mirror so you can monitor your form.

Some points of etiquette: re-rack your weights, wipe down the benches, don't sit on your phone for 5 minutes between sets, and be open to the possibility that someone might ask to do their sets while you rest and rotate back and forth.

Lastly, no one cares about what you are doing (unless like above they see you are doing really bad form and speak up). Most people are there to get in, get out, and get on with their day. The few times I've seen anyone give someone else a hard time in the gym, other more fit people come to the rescue and tell the bully to GTFO. I really like it when that happens.
  • laurawms
    laurawms Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is a KokoFit club near you, but they are awesome. Customized workout plan for you and it is very efficient. 15 minutes cardio, 30 minutes strength training. You are guided through both cardio and weights with a computer program. I like it because I don't have to think about what I am doing next. I just do what that little machine tells me. Check it out and good luck.
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    IT Gets Easier!! The first couple weeks will be really strange, then you get more comfortable... then the regulars notice that you are a regular and will start to chat you up... you just have to keep fighting that fear the first little while. Then you will continue to rock it.. and then your kids will forever continue to think you are a super hero..
  • RaeAllenJade
    RaeAllenJade Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great information and advice everyone!!
    I'm going to call around different gyms today... I need a gym with a daycare... so that may limit my options a lot!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Get a running holster and always carry a gun or bear spray with you at all times.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    easiest thing to start off with in the gym is a class. they are usually included in the membership. so pick a class or two that sound interesting, and start there. after a while, you can start exploring other stuff.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Most important thing about joining a gym is ALWAYS take what the gym salesperson tells you with a very skeptical grain of salt. They will say almost anything to get you to sign up. Go for a tour at the same time you think you will use the gym and use your own observation. Get a free pass, then use it as much as possible to see if that gym really fits. Then, ask for a deal. Ask them to waive the "initiation" fee, which is usually just profit. DO NOT pre-pay for a year's membership. If you hate it, or can't go, or you move, you are out the money, they will NOT refund it. ALWAYS pay month to month. And if they make you use an electronic funds transfer to pay your fees, NEVER let them deduct directly from your bank account, ALWAYS have it paid on a credit card. If you cancel, and they keep charging you (I have heard multiple horror stories about many chain gyms about this), it is much easier to dispute the charges and get help from your bank if it's a credit card payment.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great information and advice everyone!!
    I'm going to call around different gyms today... I need a gym with a daycare... so that may limit my options a lot!

Take a look at your local YMCA for both gym and childcare. And eventually for kids fitness classes and swim lessons.