Not losing when I (think I!) should be.

Options
Hello, I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do and not losing. I even gained a pound.Here's a brief history: I'm a 45 year old woman. At the end of Sept. I weighed 243 lbs (I'm 5"5"). I switched from Celexa to Welbutrin. My cravings for sugar disappeared! Yay! Because of this, I lost 10 pounds the first month. I downloaded My fitness pal and have been faithful for the last 6 weeks. Two weeks ago I was down to 213 pounds. I have lost 30 pounds in 3 1/2 months! =) but here's where it seems to have halted. Today I was up to 215. I and scheduled to eat 1,300 calories a day. I workout almost everyday, but only count 1/2 the calories. I usually burn about 600 but only log in 300. I swear I have been faithful, even coming in under my calories on most days. I check my nutrients to make sure I'm getting all my protein, carbs, etc. I have cut out 99% of processed foods and things that contain white sugar, corn syrups. I've tried reducing my calories, but I feel tired and weak.

So. Do I stay the course? I'm I just being impatient? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right path, I had a frustrating 8 days around Christmas and I felt like I was a poster child for perfect eating and exercise, I finally lost 3 pounds overnight. and continue on with loss. You will hear "weight loss is not linear" and "you didn't put it all on in a week" here and its true. I took a few days off and rested and feel that contributed to the restart. good luck, many have felt your pain.
    Rob
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of up and down with weight loss. Even when you think or know that you are doing all the right things, it will still go wonky sometimes. Because you are a human being, not a robot. Things like excess sodium, menstrual cycle, illness, etc will come into play. And other invisible factors that you have no control over. Weight loss is not a steady march down the scale. It's more like down, down, stop, up, down, down, stop, up, down down, stop, up, down.....There will be fluctuations, pauses, halts, even gains. And then more losses. But keep going, and you'll find that the trend will be downward.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do and not losing. I even gained a pound.Here's a brief history: I'm a 45 year old woman. At the end of Sept. I weighed 243 lbs (I'm 5"5"). I switched from Celexa to Welbutrin. My cravings for sugar disappeared! Yay! Because of this, I lost 10 pounds the first month. I downloaded My fitness pal and have been faithful for the last 6 weeks. Two weeks ago I was down to 213 pounds. I have lost 30 pounds in 3 1/2 months! =) but here's where it seems to have halted. Today I was up to 215. I and scheduled to eat 1,300 calories a day. I workout almost everyday, but only count 1/2 the calories. I usually burn about 600 but only log in 300. I swear I have been faithful, even coming in under my calories on most days. I check my nutrients to make sure I'm getting all my protein, carbs, etc. I have cut out 99% of processed foods and things that contain white sugar, corn syrups. I've tried reducing my calories, but I feel tired and weak.

So. Do I stay the course? I'm I just being impatient? Thanks for your help!

2lbs more or less is normal fluctuation. Do not panic.
  • phyllis731
    phyllis731 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty frustrated with my lack of results. I just went lower carb and have increased the duration of my workouts and frequency. I'm hoping these changes being about some results. I think my body got used to my regular routine. I'd definitely log all of your food, though.
  • janellec885
    janellec885 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will not panic. I guess I'm a little sensitive/paranoid. After being so heavy for so long, I never ever want to go back. I'm going to start some weight training this week to bring my poor atrophied muscles back to life.
  • janellec885
    Options
    phyllis731 wrote: »
    ... I'd definitely log all of your food, though.

I do put everything I eat into my app. Is that what you meant? I'm trying to watch my sugars. Seems I like my fruit a little too much! =)

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will not panic. I guess I'm a little sensitive/paranoid. After being so heavy for so long, I never ever want to go back. I'm going to start some weight training this week to bring my poor atrophied muscles back to life.

That is a great plan! Be aware that when you first start a weight training routine, you may actually see a temporary gain due to the muscles retaining water, but muscle burns more calories than fat so it will put you ahead in the long run. Do a search for "weight loss is not linear" in the forums and put your mind at ease for the coming months :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with sugar. Enjoy your fruits, enjoy your treats - just maintain the calorie deficit. It sounds like you're very committed and doing well. Now don't rush. You want to sustain that commitment over the long haul. Beware restricting foods and looking for fast results.

• janellec885
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Be aware that when you first start a weight training routine, you may actually see a temporary gain due to the muscles retaining water, but muscle burns more calories than fat so it will put you ahead in the long run.

Ok, I should probably take my measurements as well. I just don't WANT to. :|
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh your food?
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    2 lbs up could be due to anything. Keep it up, sounds like overall you are on the right track. Really impressive and well done.

But if I may, possibly, you are not eating enough at 215 lbs and almost daily burn of 600 cals. If I were you, I'd up my daily limit to my BMR at least, or TDEE-20% which should be around 1600-1700.
  • janellec885
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with sugar. Enjoy your fruits, enjoy your treats - just maintain the calorie deficit. It sounds like you're very committed and doing well. Now don't rush. You want to sustain that commitment over the long haul. Beware restricting foods and looking for fast results.

Really? Yay! I have a problem with eating vegetables. Especially leafy greens. They make me gag so I mix them with fruit and puree them with my Nutri-Ninja! Kale, romaine, carrots, cauliflower, etc. are back in my life thanks to the smoothie! I do keep within my calorie goals. I have a sweet tooth and it satisfies it.
  • janellec885
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Are you using a food scale to weigh your food?

Yep! We have a good food scale. My husband was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is learning what a "serving" is. He's very disappointed. I measure everything so I can get an accurate calorie count.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I agree that two pounds could be water retention due to eating too much sodium on a given day or hormones. No worries.

I also agree that you might do yourself good to eat a bit more to support your exercise efforts.
  • janellec885
    edited January 2016
    Options
    88meli88 wrote: »
    2 lbs up could be due to anything. Keep it up, sounds like overall you are on the right track. Really impressive and well done.

But if I may, possibly, you are not eating enough at 215 lbs and almost daily burn of 600 cals. If I were you, I'd up my daily limit to my BMR at least, or TDEE-20% which should be around 1600-1700.

What is TDEE-20%? and how do I calculate my BMR? I do count in half my exercise calories, so that pushes it up to 1,600 on the days I exercise. (sorry I wasn't clear on that!)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    88meli88 wrote: »

What is TDEE-20%? and how do I calculate my BMR? I do count in half my exercise calories, so that pushes it up to 1,600 on the days I exercise. (sorry I wasn't clear on that!)

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Really? Yay! I have a problem with eating vegetables. Especially leafy greens. They make me gag so I mix them with fruit and puree them with my Nutri-Ninja! Kale, romaine, carrots, cauliflower, etc. are back in my life thanks to the smoothie! I do keep within my calorie goals. I have a sweet tooth and it satisfies it.

That sounds very creative -- good for you!!

• janellec885
    Options
    My TDEE-20% is 1,512. Now, is that every day or just the days I work out?
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just to make sure! When you weigh things, do you weigh them before AND after cooking? The 'cooked' calorie listings I've found vary *wildly* and many are not in any way accurate. Weigh raw and enter the 'raw' calories, then weigh at the end only in order to split the meal equally.

Example: when I cook fish, the packaging always gives the 'cooked' portion calories (3oz cooked is 110). If I cook a whole filet the raw weight varies from 6-8oz, but a 6oz portion could weigh as much as 5oz after cooked, but an 8oz portion could also end up weighing as little as 3oz. So I could be accidentally under-eating (not much too few in the calories, but there's the fat and protein to consider), or eating almost 300 calories and entering it as 110! Do that a couple times a day, especially on a day you didn't exercise and... yeah. So I find the USDA entry for that type of fish raw, and always enter its raw weight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    We all go through this at some point. Weight loss isn't linear. Sometimes we do everything right and still don't see a loss for a while. Fluctuations are normal. Sometimes my scale goes up 8lbs! Because of water retention .

What matters is that over a length of time you see a downward trend. Use an app like trend weight and log your weight there .