Lunch ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• jennyd67
    jennyd67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been making mason jar salads to take to work. I make 4 of them on sunday and have them for the week. I like to make ones that have either some grain, pasta or beans in them to make them filling. This week is a Greek Quinoa salad. You can google for recipe ideas, there's lots out there. Mason jars are pretty cheap and can be used forever (though I bought pretty green ones that cost a little more, just because).
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    For the sake of your waistline and finances, I'd recommend bringing a lunch to work every damn day. I tend to other go with leftovers from our healthy dinners, or simply pack what I call component lunches. Leftovers are usually taco salads, fried rice (with mostly stir-fried vegetables, eggs and tofu), rice and beans and a protein, beet salads, etc. Component lunches do a better job of being cheap and hitting my macros. I'll pack things like: 10 almonds, a banana, an apple, cottage cheese, full fat plain yogurt, carrot sticks or other raw veggies, hardboiled eggs, chicken breast, ground turkey, baked tilapia.

Ugh... all of this healthy talk is making me want a taco. Good luck, OP.
  • UPOLegend
    UPOLegend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tend to bring in a sandwich, usually ham, chicken, or turkey with a cheese spread like Laughing Cow to replace my usual mayo, nothing worse than a bone dry sandwich! Also, I bring in fruit to snack on and I'm a sucker for crisps so more often than not those too though I'm trying to opt for Mini Cheddars instead as they're more filling, seems generally healthier and about the same calorie value as a bag of crisps.

Sometimes I bring in a salad, I buy a bag of salad leaves and add cucumber, tomatoes, gerkins, beetroot, peppers, silverskin onions, a few olives and a protein which is usually roasted chicken breast.

I have a microwave at work but never used it, really should start.
  • michellecfawcett
    michellecfawcett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to do a wedge of Laughing Cow swiss cheese, Boar's Head low sodium turkey, and raw spinach leaves on a Fiber One honey wheat wrap. It's low calorie, but still super filling! I pack that everyday for lunch and make some minor adjustments like switching turkey for ham or the swiss cheese for a different kind to put a little variation in my lunches. I then pack it with pretzels, or a yogurt, or peanut butter and apple slices!
  • cappi29
    cappi29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Today I am doing lunch / dinner prep for the week. I bought 2 packages of raw chicken tenders. I am cooking in a variety of flavors, craked pepper, parmesan, ranch and italian. Throughout the week I add these to salad . Or make wraps with them. Pair this with cheese, salad, raw veggies or cottage cheese.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Chick-Fil-a:

Two side salads (request extra veggies, no extra charge!) and grilled chicken nuggets to divide between them!

pzpvp81aj0um.jpeg

This sounds delicious!
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    jennyd67 wrote: »
    I have been making mason jar salads to take to work. I make 4 of them on sunday and have them for the week. I like to make ones that have either some grain, pasta or beans in them to make them filling. This week is a Greek Quinoa salad. You can google for recipe ideas, there's lots out there. Mason jars are pretty cheap and can be used forever (though I bought pretty green ones that cost a little more, just because).

Are there certain salad ingredients that don't do well in the jar after 4 days?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Lunch is the meal I do awesome on, because I prep for the week on Sunday. I usually have chicken thighs and 2/3 servings of vegetables (yay steam-in-a-bag makes that easy). Sometimes I'll mix up the meat with hamburger, and the veggies I like to differ (carrots, cauliflower, green beans, broccoli, peas, etc).
    I portion it out in Rubbermaid's 2 section square Takealong container (one side meat, one side veggies), I can freeze them and in the morning pull one out, usually put a bit of Trader Joe's sriracha bbq sauce on the meat (or salsa verde, etc). Heat it up at lunch for a few minutes and good to go. 4oz chicken thighs, 2 servings green beans 1 serving cauliflower and the bbq sauce was around 238 calories, wiggle room for breakfast/lunch calories (and that morning coffee).
    If I hit fast food I'll usually get Wendy's ultimate grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad, or a wrap from chic-fil-a.
    A lot of people eat last nights dinner for lunch, perfectly tasty option and you can pre-portion right from the clean up. I usually portion my dinner for more dinners. :smiley:

If you want to get really pretty, or see some awesome lunches people have put together, there's a bento thread in the Recipes list that has some creative ideas, even if it's just "here it is, last night's dinner for lunch".