The 5:2 Fast Diet

Options
I started the 5:2 diet on Monday and day 2 today. Two days a week I get to eat 500 calories and the other five I can eat what I like (within reason). My Fitness Pal won't allow me to post my daily food on those days, because I haven't eaten enough - I think I could safely do this twice a week. Has anyone else done the fasting diet and how did it go for you?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    So you starve yourself twice a week so you eat a few hundred more calories the rest of the week??? I just don't understand why anyone would do this to themselves. I'm sorry, I honestly don't get it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I started the 5:2 diet on Monday and day 2 today. Two days a week I get to eat 500 calories and the other five I can eat what I like (within reason). My Fitness Pal won't allow me to post my daily food on those days, because I haven't eaten enough - I think I could safely do this twice a week. Has anyone else done the fasting diet and how did it go for you?

The paid for Premium edition allows you to set different goals on different days, which is good for 5:2 although I can't recall if it let's you close the day out below 1200 cals - it doesn't matter as your results are saved either way.
  • ValBFP4H
    ValBFP4H Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dr Jason Fung has some very good lectures on Intermittent fasting. He explains why it just isn't cutting the calories. I do the 16:8 and it works well for me. Once in awhile I will fast 24 hours (from dinner to dinner next day) But I don't eat anything in between like some books say to. To me eating is not fasting but we all have to find what works for us.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel to make your body run. When you start fasting some days, eating more on others, you are not receiving consistent fuel and its likely you will be more tired. MFP won't let you go below 1200 calories. For me, fasting never works, I get so hungry that I binge. Slow and steady, less calories in, healthier eating and moving more is the simplest way to lose weight.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You don't have to "post". Just go on to the next day without clicking "complete today's entry".
    I think intermittent fasting could be a fad that will just pass. Eating right daily is the way to a healthy body.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the person. My brother can fast naturally all day and only eat dinner. But after years of doing that it's mucked up his metabolism temporarily, he struggles to lose weight. He is just now starting to eat 3 meals with snacks and it's helping him lose. (He needs to, back problems)

Me personally, I've never been able to fast. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks, but I have blood sugar issues so that makes me feel really unwell if I go without food for too long. :smile:
  • emmahhjo
    emmahhjo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've done several multi-day juice fasts over the past year, but I just recently tried a single day fast (dinner one day to dinner the next) and I am sold. During my juice fasts, I significantly decreased allergy symptoms and by the 3rd day I had some intense focus and brain clarity. The single day fast felt nearly as good, but less growling in my tummy!

Also, there is some pretty compelling evidence that fasting twice per week is good for your brain: http://hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2012/summer/dont-feed-your-head
  • stylelady1
    stylelady1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've tried this and it worked. However, the fasting days were so tough I gave up.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    @ emma
    Maybe the fast worked for mental clarity because you were avoiding things like flour, gluten, high sugar, corn syrup, etc in processed foods?
    Have you ever tried eating green lettuce, fruit, and veggies all day for a day?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    stylelady1 wrote: »
    I've tried this and it worked. However, the fasting days were so tough I gave up.

This^

I couldn't make the 500 calorie days work either. I like the idea of strict dieting 2 days and eating @ maintenance the other 5. Logging maintenance calories would be good for me.

Here's a link to a couple groups: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I intermittent fast because I like it and it's convenient. It's not more optimal than any other sort of meal schedule. I don't find 5:2 a much more binge prone type of style of eating.
  • beerwidow
    beerwidow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 for over a year now with good results... lost those last tough 15 lbs and, most importantly, maintained. I've lost weight in the past by tracking calories/food intake with MFP with good results, but it was really hard for me to maintain long term because, in a busy world, it got to be exhausting always thinking about and logging what I was going to eat and when.
    My eating habits are generally good but it's so easy to have a little extra here & little extra there and in the end it adds up. That's where 5:2 works for me (caveat: you have to find what works for you, your body, your habits, etc). When I've indulged a bit too much over holidays, vacations, etc, I'll do two days a week at 500 calories. When I want to maintain, it is only one day a week.
    Before all the arguments start about 'starving your body' and 'impacting your metabolism', please read through some of the science and studies. http://thefastdiet.co.uk/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/
    The first few weeks were definitely hard to go without food whenever I wanted, there were definitely some headaches but overall the energy level was fine. Now, there are no more headaches, no problems with overall mood or energy levels. Now I look at the fast days as 'paying the piper' for some over indulgences during the week and find it a refreshing break. I just drink my iced tea in the morning, have a light lunch, then have lots of veg & lean protein for dinner. It's not that hard. The hardest part is changing your thinking that you always have to have food.
    But, again, you have to find what works for you, your body, and your lifestyle. For me, this works.
  • jpcebu
    jpcebu Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    So you starve yourself twice a week so you eat a few hundred more calories the rest of the week??? I just don't understand why anyone would do this to themselves. I'm sorry, I honestly don't get it.

It has very good health benefits. You can research and see for yourself. Look for Michael Mosley on you tube. Cheers