Going vegetarian

Options
I'm trying to gradually eliminate meat products from my diet, but is it even considered being a vegetarian if I still eat eggs and dairy?

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Yes. Vegetarians eat animal products. Vegans don't.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can still eat dairy and eggs if you want too. You'd be a "ovo-lacto vegetarian". That's what I am.
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As others have said, yes vegetarians generally eat eggs and dairy, while vegans eat only plant-based foods. I am a pescetarian, which means I eat vegetarian food and, in addition, fish and seafood (but not the flesh of other animals). This was an easier transition for me than going vegetarian, which I have tried several times (for moral reasons, not related to health or weight loss) and been unsuccessful. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are different types of vegetarians...if you eat eggs and dairy that would be considered a lacto-ovo vegetarian.
    - Vegan: Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products. So vegans of course do not consume red or white meat, fish or fowl. They also do not consume eggs and dairy. Vegans do not use honey or beeswax, gelatin and any other animal by-product ingredients or products. Vegans typically do not use animal products such as silk, leather and wool, as well.

- Lacto Vegetarian: Lacto-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or eggs. However, lacto-vegetarians do consume dairy products such as cheese, milk and yogurt.

- Ovo Vegetarian: Ovo-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or dairy products. However, ovo-vegetarians do consume egg products.

- Lacto-ovo vegetarian: Lacto-ovo vegetarians do not consume red meat, white meat, fish or fowl. However, lacto-ovo vegetarians do consume dairy products and egg products. This is the most common type of vegetarian.

- Pollotarian: Much like the pescatarian, this “semi-vegetarian” diet restricts meat consumption to poultry and fowl only. Pollotarians do not consume red meat or fish and seafood

- Pescatarian (Pescetarian): While technically not a type of vegetarian, these individuals do restrict their meat consumption to fish and seafood only. Pescatarians do not consume red meat, white meat or fowl. This is considered a “semi-vegetarian” or “flexitarian” diet.

- Flexitarian – A plant-based diet with the occasional meat item on the menu. These folks do their best to limit meat intake as much as possible and they have an almost entirely plant-based diet. This is not technically considered a “vegetarian” diet, but we commend the effort!

http://www.vegetarian-nation.com/resources/common-questions/types-levels-vegetarian/