Survey for the GUYS - Fitness classes

Options
I'm wondering how many of you guys out there routinely sit in on 'group' fitness classes versus working out by yourself.

I jumped in on a group Bodypump class with my wife the other day, and while it was a great workout (and scenery), I really have no desire to go back again. I don't need someone to push me for motivation, and my own workouts can be much more brutal than a class. However, I know I'm a bit odd too. Having said that, I'd love to try a Crossfit class sometime.

If you do regularly attend fitness classes, what kind and why?

Replies

• beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just workout myself, find i work harder that way.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like working out by myself. I have all the equipment I need in my basement. I find that I am more focused by myself. Some people work better with other people and that's great for them, but if you don't need other people to have a good workout then just do it by yourself. :)
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is the first guys thread I've seen here as well.

Crossfit is GREAT. It is a really.. I don't know how to describe it but you feel wonderful,confident, and the workouts are pretty ridiculous (in the hard way).
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    I like working out by myself. I have all the equipment I need in my basement. I find that I am more focused by myself. Some people work better with other people and that's great for them, but if you don't need other people to have a good workout then just do it by yourself. :)

I agree with you cody
  • moebruin
    moebruin Posts: 4
    Options
    I work out myself: running, jogging and actual doing EA NFL workouts on my kids wii
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    i go to aquarobics with my wife and love it!!!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I workout at home, alternating between workouts I've come up with myself and workout videos. Right now I'm on week 2 of Exercise TV's "Lose Weight in 8" series, and I'm enjoying it; although each of the the 3 main workouts has only 8 moves each, the exercises are things I've never done or seen before, so I don't get bored (which can happen easily; I was ready to kill Tony Horton by the time I reached level 3 of Power 90),

However, although it's not a traditional "fitness class," my biggest calorie burn is my twice-a-week kung fu class. An hour class burns about 1000 calories, and it's always challenging; never dull.

I have done some traditional classes in the past, but didn't feel like I get any special benefit from going all the way to a studio and worrying about looking presentable and trying not to look like an idiot in front of people... At home I just pull on sweatpants and workout with no shirt, and if a movement makes me feel dumb, at least I don't have to worry about anyone seeing me!
  • NickAmrine
    NickAmrine Posts: 34
    Options
    I like working out by myself. I find that listening to loud music on my ipod really helps me get a good, focused workout.
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Theres a few guys that go to my circuit training classes, but I suppose that's slightly different!! :)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I went to a couple of cycling classes before and saw a guy there (it was a very small group). It make sense to attend a class like this, but I agree bodypump may not sounds fun to a guy (or me). Another class I went (before I quit gym access) is swimming. There were most guys there. The swimming class I went is for lap swimming with different swimming styles, tough class leading by a very educated trainer (Olympic qualified).

So I guess there is nothing wrong for a guy to go to a fitness class. It's all matter if works for you or not; or if you enjoy it or not. I don't go to majority of classes myself because I don't find it's hard enough sometimes.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There are a few guys in most of the classes i go too (except zumba but sometimes they pop up there!)

Think some of them might do it to try and catch eyes, some do it for atmosphere, or some do it because they need someone to tell them what to do.

But I have noticed, its usually the same ones come to the classes all the time, especially for body pump alot dont use light weights to get used to it, they go straight to heavy (after looking at all the girls weights) which would possibly lead to them not enjoying it.

However either way, depends what they enjoy doing.

I wont complain if a fit fella goes infront of me during body pump during squat track..
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I attend an indoor cycling class twice a week. It is not quite spinning as many folks bring their road bikes to class and ride them on trainers. The class is led by a guy and has around 5 women and 10 men on a full day.

BTW, the class is great and has had a significant effect on my fitness. It has also gotten me into cycling.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    There are a few guys in most of the classes i go too (except zumba but sometimes they pop up there!)

Think some of them might do it to try and catch eyes, some do it for atmosphere, or some do it because they need someone to tell them what to do.

But I have noticed, its usually the same ones come to the classes all the time, especially for body pump alot dont use light weights to get used to it, they go straight to heavy (after looking at all the girls weights) which would possibly lead to them not enjoying it.

However either way, depends what they enjoy doing.

I wont complain if a fit fella goes infront of me during body pump during squat track..

My wife warned me about going light the first time, and I'm glad I did. :-D
  • Arizona_JR
    Options
    I attend an indoor cycling class twice a week. It is not quite spinning as many folks bring their road bikes to class and ride them on trainers. The class is led by a guy and has around 5 women and 10 men on a full day.

BTW, the class is great and has had a significant effect on my fitness. It has also gotten me into cycling.

Our local YMCA has a spin class, which I'm considering jumping in on. I've only ever attended one spin class before, and got barked at for riding in my aero position (with forearms on the bar like I used to do on my triathlon bike.)
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I just go lifting with a couple of my friends and we push each other to do our best when lifting. I've never been in a class and doubt it would be as effective to me.
  • Arizona_JR
    Options
    Hey thanks for all the replies! I have no issues with men in fitness classes, I just wonder about these things sometimes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Does yoga count? I go to a heated yoga practice on occasion. But I couldn't ever see me going to a fitness/aerobic type class. I just like running too much for that.
  • jugglingjon
    Options
    The Les Mills classes are great, I've been doing bodypump/bodycombat since march, and I've definitely seen an uptick in results compared to working out by myself. It just feels like you get more workout per time spent, because the instructors are pushing you.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I understand. I work out by myself, but if I could afford it, CrossFit looks incredible. It would kick my behind I'm sure!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I've done a yoga class, but that's only because I don't know anything about yoga. When it comes to weights and cardio, nobody is going to make me doing anything but myself. I prefer some motivating music in my earphones and my own thoughts as opposed to someone blaring house music and saying "yeah good burn!" in a microphone.