Dumb Question- Im a little confuse, If Im supposed to be having 1200 calories/day, is that assuming

Options
Im not working out? Or if I am working out, am I supposed to be eating more than 1200 calories? Im 5'3,F,155 lbs.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is the goal from MFP? If so, it doesn't include workouts. You set your daily activity level based on your non-exercise activity.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    That is assuming you are NOT working out. If you do work out, you can earn MORE calories to consume during the day if you wish. Most people eat back some (50% or so) of the calories they earn back from exercise. It worked beautifully for me a couple of years ago. :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Im not working out? Or if I am working out, am I supposed to be eating more than 1200 calories? Im 5'3,F,155 lbs.

If you reached your calorie goal using MFP's tools, then yes, you're supposed to increase your calories by whatever you burn through exercise.

If you used another off-site calculator to get the 1200 goal - then it depends on whether that calculator takes exercise into account or not (ie - did it ask you how often and how intensely you exercise?)
  • maea5040
    maea5040 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

If you reached your calorie goal using MFP's tools, then yes, you're supposed to increase your calories by whatever you burn through exercise.

If you used another off-site calculator to get the 1200 goal - then it depends on whether that calculator takes exercise into account or not (ie - did it ask you how often and how intensely you exercise?)

Yes, I got that through MFP, Ive been trying not to eat back the calories I burned because I feel like I just wasted my time working out. I have noticed I'm getting tired faster at the gym than I used to.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weightloss, and MFP has that built in.

Workout for improved fitness. To do that successfully, you may simply need more fuel.
  • janejellyroll
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes, I got that through MFP, Ive been trying not to eat back the calories I burned because I feel like I just wasted my time working out. I have noticed I'm getting tired faster at the gym than I used to.

If you don't eat enough to fuel your activity, your energy will suffer (and, potentially, your health).

Exercise is great for fitness, mood, body composition, and motivation. Time spent working out isn't a waste even if you choose to eat some (or all) of the calories back. MFP's goal already puts you at a deficit. You don't need to punish yourself or hurt yourself to create a bigger deficit.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

If you don't eat enough to fuel your activity, your energy will suffer (and, potentially, your health).

Exercise is great for fitness, mood, body composition, and motivation. Time spent working out isn't a waste even if you choose to eat some (or all) of the calories back. MFP's goal already puts you at a deficit. You don't need to punish yourself or hurt yourself to create a bigger deficit.

^ precisely
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

1200 is already a deficit. Eating back calories keeps the deficit in check and fuels your workouts. Too large a deficit makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle. To lose more fat, take a moderate approach.

Calorie burns are estimates so start off at 50% and see if weight loss is progressing as expected.
  • ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1200 calories is enough for you even with NO exercise. I hope someone can come along and post the links for you to the post detailing TDEE and such.. I can't find it. :/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

That's likely because you are not eating enough.

• MajesticBlondee25
    MajesticBlondee25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You weigh way too much to be eating that little.. I'm 20 lbs less than you and I eat twice that amount
  • MajesticBlondee25
    MajesticBlondee25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    But I net 1500*
  • rebecca2376
    rebecca2376 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You weigh way too much to be eating that little.. I'm 20 lbs less than you and I eat twice that amount

I am 5ft 3 and 156lb, mfp says 1200 calories. Isn't that enough?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

How many pounds did you tell MFP you wanted to lose per week?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

1200 is a minimum default. That's why people question it. Petite or older women do need to eat this low.
    Does your weekly goal look something like this?

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Whatever you choose - pick something you can live with for awhile.
  • amy_j28
    amy_j28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am close to your age, I am 5'3" and 175 lbs. I used this website : http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ to calculate the calories I needed to eat each day. MFP set me at 1200 originally, it was much too low. I have mine now set to 1500 PRE exercise. I typically eat all or most of my exercise calories back.