Calculators

Options
dsweise
dsweise Posts: 19 Member
Why does it seem that all of the fitness calculators discount the amount of effort it takes for obese people to walk? I wrote about walking vs cycling in my blog today: http://danielweise.blogspot.com .

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand, heavier people may burn more calories (making more effort) doing the same activities as the lighter people and that's why heavier ones may have higher net calorie intake to lose weight? I could be wrong. I myself am very confused too.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand, heavier people may burn more calories (making more effort) doing the same activities as the lighter people and that's why heavier ones may have higher net calorie intake to lose weight? I could be wrong. I myself am very confused too.

This is how it works. My hubby's workout calories and what not started going down as he lost weight. And so did his allowed daily calories.
  • springfling
    Options
    You are so right. I have heard that a heavier person DOES burn more calories. Doesn't our calorie counter on here take that into account? Either way...you are burning more if you are bigger. Keep up the good work cuz you will lose it faster for the same length of time of exercise! Best of luck.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Also, when I walk 1/2 hour @ 3.0, it tells me that I burn less than 100 calories, so it should be under 150 for 45 minutes. So, I don't think your walking is off.

However, maybe your biking level is a little more intense than what you can walk?

I know that I can run like it's noone's business and not be tired. However, if someone asked me to swim, I'd feel like I was dieing.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I have heard that a heavier person DOES burn more calories. Doesn't our calorie counter on here take that into account? Either way...you are burning more if you are bigger. Keep up the good work cuz you will lose it faster for the same length of time of exercise! Best of luck.

This is actually backwards. They burn LESS cals.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem that all of the fitness calculators discount the amount of effort it takes for obese people to walk? I wrote about walking vs cycling in my blog today: http://danielweise.blogspot.com .

Why do you think that it does?

I know that the MFP calculator DOES take this into consideration. If two different people put in the same exact exercise information, they will get two different "calories burned" output. I've seen it happen- a friend and I both had the same exercise for the day, but they had a lot more calories burned. As you lose weight, and continue the same exercises, you'll notice the calorie burn decreasing as well. The heavier you are, the more calories you burn. ALWAYS.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

If this is true, Can you explain this logic please? because I have only ever heard it the other way around
  • dsweise
    dsweise Posts: 19 Member
    Options

No, it isn't backwards - calories are a measure of work and it makes sense that a havier person has to do more work to move the larger mass. My subjective observation is it seems to take more work to walk at 3.0 mph than it does to bike at 12 mph yet the calculators make it seem the other way around.