Losing Weight AND feeding the family

Options
2»

Replies

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat -my son eats anything that moves and then some. I almost always simply reduce my portions and instead of the carb add a large green salad with balsamic/olive oil dressing. Works well. And I don't have to cook two meals. I also generally avoid deserts and have ONE quality street chocolate (about 45 calories.)
  • TeenyH2015
    TeenyH2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who left constructive feedback :smiley:<3
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I cook for several burly men as well. I plan, cook, and do all our shopping so their meals reflect my needs. We still have all the old favorites but I don't cook with oils or extra butter anymore. If the dinner has a pasta or something I have a much smaller portion than the men.

A few nights ago was really heavy for dinner so tonight we are having steak salads. Okay, I'm having a steak salad and they're having steak and I told them I'll throw a few potatoes in for them. Just one example of making it work.

Once it's just me and my partner, he knows things are getting more tight because he needs to be paying attention to his weight as well. At least to not allow it to go higher.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I lived at home with my parents, my mom had a similar problem. She was a bit of a health nut, while me, my dad and 2 brothers just wanted some tasty food for dinner (as I've gotten older, I've gotten more health conscious). One trick that my mom learned was she would cook the entire meal in a healthy manner, take out her portion, and then add in all the other stuff that everyone else wanted. For example, if she was making pasta, she'd go easy on the salt/cheese etc. and take out how much ever she'd eat. Then she'd go in and add more salt/cheese/etc. for the rest of us. Didn't have to resort to cooking 2 meals and everybody was happy.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A large capacity slow cooker (CrockPot) could really simplify your life, I think!
  • HelenRobertsNZ
    HelenRobertsNZ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The recipe converter on here is really useful - I import a recipe I like the look of and rejig the ingredients to suit my calorie needs. If I need more it's easy enough to double the recipe, or husband and kids can have more rice/pasta etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    They get bigger portions, you get smaller portions. Ironically it works exactly the same in maintenance...for example, last night my wife and I had roasted pork tenderloin, roasted potatoes, and steamed asparagus. I had about 6 ounces cooked of the tenderloin while my wife had about 3 and she had less potatoes than I did and about the same heaping pile of veg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I make healthier versions (lower fat meat, less butter, cheese etc) or just add some potatoes/rice/pasta on the side for them (and I just have the veggies/protein). If they're still hungry, there's always some bread, cheese, fruit, yogurt or whatnot...
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I do all my menu planning for the week on Monday mornings. I collect cookbooks and usually pick a new one each week to try new recipes. I make what looks good, what my family likes, and make sure I count calories. Pick up a few healthy cookbooks and try new recipes that everyone will like. But don't cook two separate meals. Way too much work!
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    Going to swim against the tide here and say I prepare and plan my food completely separate from my family. It's the only way I can perfectly count calories (or as perfect as possible for me). The kids have growing bodies, growing brains, and do not have a weight problem. My husband doesn't have a weight problem. They can have ALL the food groups, as where I really have to watch fats, oils, cheese, carbs such as bread, pasta, etc., etc., etc. I can still sit down and eat with them, but my meal is going to be lettuce topped with tuna! I can only imagine the revolt that would take place if that's all I served the family.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    When I lived at home with my parents, my mom had a similar problem. She was a bit of a health nut, while me, my dad and 2 brothers just wanted some tasty food for dinner (as I've gotten older, I've gotten more health conscious). One trick that my mom learned was she would cook the entire meal in a healthy manner, take out her portion, and then add in all the other stuff that everyone else wanted. For example, if she was making pasta, she'd go easy on the salt/cheese etc. and take out how much ever she'd eat. Then she'd go in and add more salt/cheese/etc. for the rest of us. Didn't have to resort to cooking 2 meals and everybody was happy.

That's a good tip!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    .... but my meal is going to be lettuce topped with tuna! I can only imagine the revolt that would take place if that's all I served the family.

you do realize you can eat a whole lot more than that, right?

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Similar issues here, with different dietary needs. My kids are younger (5 and 8) so they don't need tons of calories yet, but when they go through growth spurts, man, I can see it coming.

We do a lot of combo meals where everyone can make what they want- like tacos. I have a taco salad, kids load up on cheese, we all add what we want. Also DH and I both will frequently fill half our plate with salad, and the kids want none.

My 8 year old has become my crock pot assistant. Either the night before or in the morning before school, he reads the recipe and I double check as he adds things (we had a wee bit of a surprise about the amount of cinnamon he added when I told him to "sprinkle a little in"!). This allows me to do the other kitchen tasks like lunch packing and dishes while he puts together the meal. Then, boom, dinner is done! We mostly do soups in the crockpot- they tend to be lower calorie, and the kids add copious quantities of cheese to theirs, and have bread on the side!

The other thing we sometimes do is cook one meal that I want on Monday, then I eat leftovers of it on Tuesday. On Tuesday, I cook a meal that H or the kids want, and they eat leftovers on Wed. On Wed, I cook for myself again. Etc.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    .... but my meal is going to be lettuce topped with tuna! I can only imagine the revolt that would take place if that's all I served the family.

Not according to the website "Only Eat Tuna and Lettuce." It's my bible. They even allow water with lemon for dessert! It's divine, although I've developed this strange side effect of my hair falling out... but they swear it's temporary.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Not according to the website "Only Eat Tuna and Lettuce." It's my bible. They even allow water with lemon for dessert! It's divine, although I've developed this strange side effect of my hair falling out... but they swear it's temporary.

sounds great
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree with those who said just eat smaller portions of whatever you make for the family... I made pizza last night, but just had 1 and a half slices instead of 3 like everyone else, and I also put my recipe into the recipe builder so I knew how many calories I'd be eating... Tonight I made a huge pot of chicken tortilla soup and did the same... The kids all could have unlimited soup, I had a cup and a half... This wouldn't be sustainable for me if I had to eat "diet food" and could never live a normal life.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Would it work for you to substitute out the calorie dense starch you serve them (pasta, rice, potato, bread, tortilla) for spinach or another quick easy vegetable? I love spinach, so it works for me. Same meal otherwise, using recipe builder to track.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Roasted meats are he base of many of my meals. East to add to. A side or two of veggies, a side of pasta/rice/potatoes and maybe a green salad make up tons of meals around here. Leftovers get turned into stir-fries, wrapped in rice wrappers and baked, eaten on sandwiches, etc. my fridge is always stocked with leftover cooked meat, eggs, cut veggies, and various leftovers. Many hints can be added to an omlet, or reheated on their own for quick meals when you are short on time. I tend to cook big so we have leftovers on purpose. Makes cooking many days of the week much easier.

I just choose my portions based on my calorie and macro goals. My family chooses portions that satisfy them. Many days my 15yo eats 3 times what I eat and sometimes he chooses to fill up on items I limit. Depending on my breakfast and lunch choices, some days I have room for rice and others I eat protein and veg for my meal. Some days I want dessert badly and will plan a whole day around the brownie/ice cream/slice of pie. Do what works best for you but try not to stress. Stock your kitchen well and you should be set.