What Foods Keep You Full The Longest?

Options

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    For me, generally, a meal rich in both protein and fiber. Specifically, my 3 bean and turkey chili. One cup of that with 1/4 of an avocado, and I'm good for a long while. And I'm a oft eating, volume eater. It was always my go to lunch when at uni, and I didn't want to carry a giant tote for a lunch pail, lol.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Any meal that has a large portion of veggies, 15-30 grams of protein and some fat.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Potatoes, oatmeal, apples, large amounts of vegetables, soups and eggs (only if eaten with bread, eggs don't fill me at all without bread which is odd)

Chicken and meats need to be paired with a starch or I'm hungry 30 minutes later.
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Porridge.

40g of porridge oats + 125ml whole milk (porridge can be made with water, but adding a bit of milk makes it creamy) + 25g blueberries + 10g honey = 280 calories for breakfast, and it keeps me full all morning.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The longest would be lean protein (100g or so of chicken, pork, fish) or baked potatoes. eta: And beans, too.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Protein. Especially chicken or beef.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Smoked salmon
    Baked salmon
    Steak
    Spinach
    Tuna
    Avocado
    Lentils
    Brown rice
    Buckwheat
    Quinoa
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    To answer the Op in a different way...

There are foods that make you "hungry" vs foods that don't.

By default foods that lead to Slow Energy Release (proteins, grains and beans) will stop you becoming hungry as quickly, as they don't lead to a spike of insulin and (ultimately) fat storage. My go to foods for this are Buckwheat, Amaranth, Oats, Quinoa, Nuts and Beans.

In contrast, any food that causes an instant spike in energy (i.e sugar) in normal people, causes a spike in insulin production. This tells your body to burn what it can then work to store the rest as fat.

So 100 calories of slow energy release food is far better for you than 100 calories of sugar. One helps your diet, the other doesn't.

Interestingly, artificial sweetener has another detrimental effect. When you drink or eat something with a sweet "taste", your body sends a message to the pancreas to tell it to produce a pile of insulin in anticipation of receiving sugar soon. When no sugar arrives (because it was sweetener) the body panics a bit when the extra insulin makes your blood sugar drop. The body will often then start sending urgent signals to say "for the love of god eat something!!!".

All this to say, artificial sweetener (if taken excessively) can make you hungry as all hell. So watch the amount of diet soda you drink if you want to feel "full" longer
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »

By default foods that lead to Slow Energy Release (proteins, grains and beans) will stop you becoming hungry as quickly, as they don't lead to a spike of insulin and (ultimately) fat storage. My go to foods for this are Buckwheat, Amaranth, Oats, Quinoa, Nuts and Beans.

In contrast, any food that causes an instant spike in energy (i.e sugar) in normal people, causes a spike in insulin production. This tells your body to burn what it can then work to store the rest as fat.

So 100 calories of slow energy release food is far better for you than 100 calories of sugar. One helps your diet, the other doesn't.

Interestingly, artificial sweetener has another detrimental effect. When you drink or eat something with a sweet "taste", your body sends a message to the pancreas to tell it to produce a pile of insulin in anticipation of receiving sugar soon. When no sugar arrives (because it was sweetener) the body panics a bit when the extra insulin makes your blood sugar drop. The body will often then start sending urgent signals to say "for the love of god eat something!!!".

All this to say, artificial sweetener (if taken excessively) can make you hungry as all hell. So watch the amount of diet soda you drink if you want to feel "full" longer

It really isn't that dry and cut. Hunger depends on a lot of factors, including psychological. That's why the feeling of "fullness" is so individual. For me, for example, a sugar free soda does not produce any hunger, but chicken without starches does, and the fast release starchy potato keeps me full for several hours. And then there is this insulin misconception... If you are eating at a deficit you will not be storing fat, no matter how much your insulin spikes. And then there is also the texture, mouthfeel, and stomach feel. Rice is more filling to me than quinoa despite being a fast release carb, and cooked oatmeal is more filling to me than baked despite being the same grain.

Here is an anecdote from not long ago that shows how big of a role psychology plays. The other day we had a grill party. I forgot to stock on my favorite bread, and the bread that was available was the kind that I don't like. 1100 calories of kebab and stubbornness later I regretted not taking that 15 minute walk to buy my choice of bread. I had to throw a potato in the smoldering charcoal and wait for nearly an hour to eat it, by which point I was still hungry, until I had the potato. A meal like that usually takes me from hungry to full in no more than 600 calories and keeps me full for hours when I have bread with it, but because it felt "incomplete" without the bread it did not satisfy me physically or emotionally.

What keeps you full and what doesn't is very individual. That's why experimenting with different foods and forming your own personalized "feel full" list is very important.
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Any meal that has a large portion of veggies, 15-30 grams of protein and some fat.

Same here! The more veggies, the happier my tummy (: I also don't feel full if there was absolutely no meat in my meal. IDK why but other sources of protein and fat can't do the miracle. It doesn't have to be a lot, but it has to be there. I feel a bit bad for myself because of that.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »

It really isn't that dry and cut. Hunger depends on a lot of factors, including psychological. That's why the feeling of "fullness" is so individual. For me, for example, a sugar free soda does not produce any hunger, but chicken without starches does, and the fast release starchy potato keeps me full for several hours. And then there is this insulin misconception... If you are eating at a deficit you will not be storing fat, no matter how much your insulin spikes. And then there is also the texture, mouthfeel, and stomach feel. Rice is more filling to me than quinoa despite being a fast release carb, and cooked oatmeal is more filling to me than baked despite being the same grain.

Here is an anecdote from not long ago that shows how big of a role psychology plays. The other day we had a grill party. I forgot to stock on my favorite bread, and the bread that was available was the kind that I don't like. 1100 calories of kebab and stubbornness later I regretted not taking that 15 minute walk to buy my choice of bread. I had to throw a potato in the smoldering charcoal and wait for nearly an hour to eat it, by which point I was still hungry, until I had the potato. A meal like that usually takes me from hungry to full in no more than 600 calories and keeps me full for hours when I have bread with it, but because it felt "incomplete" without the bread it did not satisfy me physically or emotionally.

What keeps you full and what doesn't is very individual. That's why experimenting with different foods and forming your own personalized "feel full" list is very important.
    You're probably right, it's not cut and dry. The info I was quoting came from a TV show I watched recently which did an in depth investigation on the misconceptions around a list of things: counting calories, sugar, sweetener etc.

According to the show there are a lot of misconceptions that are (so they tried to prove) responsible for the erm... widening of society in the last few decades. It focuses on USA mostly, but I expect that's because it was an American funded documentary.

Though I'm not from the US, I found it really interesting anyway and informative from a "understanding the basics" stand point. I'm not sure if it's still available to watch but it was called Food Matters on Netflix.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I have tried many of these already. I am going to try Egg drop soup, Whole Wheat tortillas and Buckwheat.

Here is to feeling full for a while!
  • tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup. Plus very low calorie! I'm full on around 50 calories worth of lentils, plus 30 calories from a chicken stock cube and water and blend
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    A meal at least one hot element often satisfies my hunger and keeps me feeling full longer than a cold meal, even when the cals and macros are the same.
  • YokiLenko
    YokiLenko Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I find that nuts keep me the fullest. I'm addicted to cashews.
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    PIZZA. Haha jk.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I wish.. eggs NEVER make me full
    Eggs!

• tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    unfortunately my answer to this is a big bowl of Pasta.. urgh
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili has been my go-to lunch for a while. I make big batches, weigh 10 oz and freeze it. I will have some oyster crackers but that's about it. I am full for hours.