Lose fat while maintaining weight

Options
I would like to lose fat, but am not overweight I really just need to tone up and lose fat. I am wondering how to adjust my calories on MFP to accommodate for this?

Replies

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    How about a weight lifting regimen?
  • s2021732
    s2021732 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am currently on the same mission as you. I am focusing more on strength training even though I've always done it. I find it hard to gain muscle & lose fat even with working with weights. During this week I bought some Protein Powder and am focusing on making sure I get in enough Protein for my weight and as per MFP, which makes it easy to track. So far no change in my weight, fat and or Muscle percentages :( Why would that be?
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This week?!! Give it time.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To do this does one maintain calories or do a cut in calories?
  • babypeach97
    babypeach97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could try a low carb diet and up your protein and fat intake- going into ketosis can help your body to burn fat as a fuel instead of the carbs you eat on a daily basis :~) then weight training, like circuit training, should do the trick, you can add intervals of cardio eg 1 minute of jumping jacks or burpees in between sets to keep your metabolism burning the fat while building muscle. When lifting weights you should go for a low amount of reps with heavier weights, obviously take care if you're a beginner and take your time to perfect the form first to avoid injury. Take a look on http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/training.html they have loads of plans and forums for advice from pros.
    You can change macro percentages on MFP to accomadate for the change and you should be aiming for the same net amount of calories to maintain weight, although muscle does weigh more than fat so you may find a slight increase... Good luck guys
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    edited to delete
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    To do this does one maintain calories or do a cut in calories?

you can go to maintenance calories or a little above and lift heavy and change your body and lose fat as well. but it will be slow. its easier to lose fat in a deficit while still lifting.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

I think this is the thread you are looking for. The first post has the most important information. Keep in mind that changes in body composition will be slow! I have been at it for a year now.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You could try a low carb diet and up your protein and fat intake- going into ketosis can help your body to burn fat as a fuel instead of the carbs you eat on a daily basis :~) then weight training, like circuit training, should do the trick, you can add intervals of cardio eg 1 minute of jumping jacks or burpees in between sets to keep your metabolism burning the fat while building muscle. When lifting weights you should go for a low amount of reps with heavier weights, obviously take care if you're a beginner and take your time to perfect the form first to avoid injury. Take a look on http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/training.html they have loads of plans and forums for advice from pros.
    You can change macro percentages on MFP to accomadate for the change and you should be aiming for the same net amount of calories to maintain weight, although muscle does weigh more than fat so you may find a slight increase... Good luck guys

No,you dont have to go into ketosis to do this, you can burn fat without it.when lifting your body needs carbs as well as the other macros for energy. you also dont need cardio intervals to keep your metabolism burning. your metabolism is always working no matter what, if its not you die.also when it comes to muscle weighing more than fat thats only true if its in volume. 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle is still 5 lbs but the muscle takes up less space. the slight increase on the scale will most likely be water weight from starting a new routine and you retain water to repair muscles. you wont see a gain on the scale in a short time and if you do most likely its not going to be muscle. we dont have the testosterone to gain muscle quickly,so for most women its going to be slow going. its hard to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. when you gain muscle you gain fat as well. to the OP find a lifting program and eat at maintenance or a little above and do that for awhile and see how it goes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    s2021732 wrote: »
    I am currently on the same mission as you. I am focusing more on strength training even though I've always done it. I find it hard to gain muscle & lose fat even with working with weights. During this week I bought some Protein Powder and am focusing on making sure I get in enough Protein for my weight and as per MFP, which makes it easy to track. So far no change in my weight, fat and or Muscle percentages :( Why would that be?

because protein is not something magical. it doesnt cause weight loss,fat loss or muscle growth. it can help muscle growth but you have to be in a caloric surplus to build any decent amount of muscle and it can take years. the older you get the harder it is to build it as well. if you want to lose fat you need to eat in a deficit(doesnt have to be too large) and if you want to build muscle you need to be in a caloric surplus. do you use a food scale to weigh your food? if not then it sounds like you are eating maintenance calories if you havent lost or gained anything.also use a tape measure and track your measurements,sometimes you will lose inches before the scale moves.also things take time as well.