what is keto?

Options
Trying to drop weight but I'm also open to other options..

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's a diet invented to help reduce seizures with epilepsy patients. It caught on in the fitness community and it's a big fad now, and not necessary at all to lose weight.
  • babypeach97
    babypeach97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    keto is short for ketosis where you eat less carbs and supplement them for higher protein and fat percentages. This is good for losing body fat% and building muscle if you chose to workout, which is recommended because who doesn't want to be lovely and toned :~) it can give you bad breath and isn't recommended for a long period of time because your organs need carbs to function. It is good for a weight loss kick-start however. Cut out the junk, eat more protein and leafy greens. Stop eating bread is a good one. Stay hydrated! Good luck!
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    keto is short for ketosis where you eat less carbs and supplement them for higher protein and fat percentages. This is good for losing body fat% and building muscle if you chose to workout, which is recommended because who doesn't want to be lovely and toned :~) it can give you bad breath and isn't recommended for a long period of time because your organs need carbs to function. It is good for a weight loss kick-start however. Cut out the junk, eat more protein and leafy greens. Stop eating bread is a good one. Stay hydrated! Good luck!

I disagree with the building muscle part. For most people, high carbs will give you much more strength in the gym resulting in better muscle and strength gains.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

I disagree with the building muscle part. For most people, high carbs will give you much more strength in the gym resulting in better muscle and strength gains.

I think it depends on what exercise you're doing, because when I eat more carbs I feel like I have more energy and it helps fuel my running.
  • XxJudge
    XxJudge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Keto has also great cancer tumor reducing effects. Fitness wise it's great to lose body fat % however not recommended if you're doing crossfit/heavy load bearing excercises. I tend to mix it up 2-3 days I do intermittent fasting and on my workout days I break that fast by eating plenty of carbs to fill me up. I like to do the fasting during work because I'm just working and don't really think much about food. I drink Pur-Eh tea/w MCT OIl to keep me satied. I am fat adapted so I don't get hungry if I don't eat. And when I get home I eat my caloric amount for the day. That's just one strategy I found that worked really well for me because I tend to overeat when at night time when I'm home.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

I think it depends on what exercise you're doing, because when I eat more carbs I feel like I have more energy and it helps fuel my running.

I think we're in agreement ;-)
    High carb is better for most people who work out regularly.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Are you looking into keto because you have a medical condition? If so, you should talk to your doctor.

If you just want to lose weight, do you think keto would give you some advantage or something? Do you think people that do a keto diet don't need a calorie deficit to lose weight ? ( they most certainly do. For weight loss a calorie deficit is needed)

For weight loss, all you need is a calorie deficit. No special diets, fads, or gimmicks are needed or necessary.

Get yourself a food scale and learn how to properly weigh your solids and measure your liquids . then log your numbers here. Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight.

Calories in - calories out.

Some people like low carb or keto or whatever way of eating because they say it helps them achieve a calorie deficit needed for weight loss. They feel its easier to not allow certain foods at all then to have them in moderation.

For me, I personally preferred eating the foods I love but within moderation. I learned portion control and don't have to deprive myself of anything. I made it a lifestyle change not a diet. I couldn't imagine sticking to a keto diet forever so instead figured it was best for my to learn the tools needed for long term success ( portion control and moderation) I lost all my weight and have been maintaining for 2+ yrs so far without having to go to extremes. Like I said, this is a lifestyle change so I prepared myself ! Short term fad diets don't teach the tools needed .

Best of luck to you !
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    XxJudge wrote: »
    Keto has also great cancer tumor reducing effects.

Well, what's needed there are studies that measure an actual clinical endpoint, not a surrogate endpoint.

That is, we care about the clinical outcomes of cancer - what is the 5-year survival rate, what are your odds of recovery, etc. Tumor size may be correlated to the clinical outcomes, but that doesn't mean that any method that lowers tumor size necessarily improves clinical outcomes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet is very low carb and high in fat. Carbs are usually kept close to 20g but active people can keep them higher. Fats make up a large portion of your diet at about 65-80%. When carbs are that low it means that your primary energy source will be fats rather than glucose. When you make the switch to fat oxidation you may feel fatigued for a few days or weeks but once your body adjusts the energy level is basically the same.

A ketogenic diet is usually done for improved health and not just for weight loss, although some people do lose a bit better on a ketogenic diet, usually those with insulin resistance.

Atkins is a ketogenic diet in phase 1. You could look into that for more info.

Good luck.