I'm not sure how many calories I should be eating

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm 5 feet tall, currently weigh 133lbs, and am eating between 1100-1400 depending on the day (not going to lie I struggle keeping within calories lol). I work in fast food, and work roughly 4.5-5 hours, 5 days a week and am constantly moving and lifting at times on my shifts. I wish I could track my steps and calories burned but I currently don't have a tracker and the rule at my workplace doesn't allow us to carry our phones even if they're in our pockets. I also started working out at home (general full body work outs using Sworkit) and try to do at least 30 minutes every other day. I set my activity as active on here, and was given 1200 calories. I also eat my calories when I workout but try to keep my net around 1200. With my work and exercise activity, do you think that my calorie goal is enough? Also, not sure if it is relevant but I have a weight loss goal of 22lbs. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. :smile: Thank you!

Replies

• _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    make sure you keep a detailed, accurate log of your calories.........it's very easy to underestimate what you're eating.........the scale is really the determining factor..........also, I wouldn't eat back your workout calories, that just wasting the burn
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the 1200 is probably correct for you to lose 1 lbs a week. Monitor your loss you may be able to up your base calories by 50-100.
    Eating back at least 50-75% of your calories back is what MFP is set up for. Your deficit is in your basic calories.

As an FYI I lost at 1200 eating back an average 150 of my exercise calories.

I am 5'1 started at 130 lbs and now maintain between 100-105 lbs.
    I am much older than you that is why I think you could have a slightly higher base than 1200 cals.
    It will slow down to a crawl for the last 10 lbs so don't panic.

I never used a step tracker, just watched how my actual loss was compared to my MFP weekly goal and adjusted how many exercise calories I ate back accordingly (100 low- 200 high per 60 min).

Cheers, h.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    1200 net is probably correct at your height. Just stick with it for a few weeks and see. If you are losing too quickly then yippee, you can eat a little more. If you aren't losing, then bummer, you need to cut back.

But give it a few weeks, at least a month. One or two weeks isn't enough to get a good idea.

If you are struggling with 1200 you could change your goal to .5 per week. You'll lose a little slower but be more satisfied.
  • UltimateMedu
    UltimateMedu Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the 1200 is probably correct for you to lose 1 lbs a week. Monitor your loss you may be able to up your base calories by 50-100.
    Eating back at least 50-75% of your calories back is what MFP is set up for. Your deficit is in your basic calories.

I am much older than you that is why I think you could have a slightly higher base than 1200 cals.

I never used a step tracker, just watched how my actual loss was compared to my MFP weekly goal and adjusted how many exercise calories I ate back accordingly (100 low- 200 high per 60 min).

Cheers, h.

Thank you! A couple years ago I lost at 1200 too but was not as active as I am today so I was worried, but I will monitor my loss and adjust accordingly :smile:
  • UltimateMedu
    Options
    1200 net is probably correct at your height. Just stick with it for a few weeks and see. If you are losing too quickly then yippee, you can eat a little more. If you aren't losing, then bummer, you need to cut back.

But give it a few weeks, at least a month. One or two weeks isn't enough to get a good idea.

If you are struggling with 1200 you could change your goal to .5 per week. You'll lose a little slower but be more satisfied.

Thank you so much. I will do that!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

This^
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would try inputting your stats into a calculator other than MFP to get a calorie goal. If you use this method do not eat back any exercise calories because they are already built into your goal. Very few active people need calories as low as 1200. I'm short too 5' 1" and I was able to lose 20 pounds a few years ago eating around 1600-1800 calories.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

ETA: If you find this method doesn't work for you or you aren't losing you can always adjust your calories a little at a time, but if you're struggling to stay in your calorie goal for the day you may be trying to lose too aggressively.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    2 pounds per week is very aggressive if you only have 22 to lose. What does MFP suggest if you put in a 1.5 pound/week weight loss goal?
  • UltimateMedu
    Options
    2 pounds per week is very aggressive if you only have 22 to lose. What does MFP suggest if you put in a 1.5 pound/week weight loss goal?

1270 calories with a 1.5 pound/week weight goal, and 1520 with 1.0 pound/week. I'm not in a rush to lose the weight, but if I can lose 2 a week I'd prefer it so I can feel better faster (the weight causes difficulties with basic daily tasks because of my hips). I'm thinking that if I eat the calories I am now I might be fine because I lost 1.8 pounds after my weekly check-in today. :smile:
  • UltimateMedu
    Options
    I would try inputting your stats into a calculator other than MFP to get a calorie goal. If you use this method do not eat back any exercise calories because they are already built into your goal. Very few active people need calories as low as 1200. I'm short too 5' 1" and I was able to lose 20 pounds a few years ago eating around 1600-1800 calories.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

ETA: If you find this method doesn't work for you or you aren't losing you can always adjust your calories a little at a time, but if you're struggling to stay in your calorie goal for the day you may be trying to lose too aggressively.

Thank you for the advice! That link gave me a 1584 calorie goal with 20% calorie reduction selected. I weighed myself this morning after keeping between 1100-1400 and lost 1.8lbs in a week. I might stick with 1200-1500 from now since I don't mean to lose too aggressively. I was also scared I was starving myself with my exercise and turns out I probably am. Thank you again!
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Watch the calorie eat back. MFP, Fitbit and machine based numbers can be VERY inaccurate. You maybe eating back more than you are really "burning".
  • UltimateMedu
    Options
    steuartcj wrote: »
    Watch the calorie eat back. MFP, Fitbit and machine based numbers can be VERY inaccurate. You maybe eating back more than you are really "burning".

That's true I've read about that too. I will make sure I don't eat back all the calories burned.